Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a non-running Triple that had been neglected. Low voltage on battery so I replaced with new Lithium battery and cranks well, no fire. Checked and made sure it has spark. Replaced the spark plugs. Drained the fuel and checked the pump, cleaned the injectors and made sure they sprayed correctly. Removed the dead mouse and nest out of the airbox. Got the cable and the TuneECU to check for codes, there were some that I believe were related to having sensor's unplugged while trying to start the bike. Cleared them and they haven't returned. During one test of the fuel system, I had the injectors out of throttle body and spraying onto paper so I could see the pattern. The pattern looked fine, but with the injectors out of the throttle body, the bike will backfire while trying to start. After the first backfire, there was cat food in the driveway. smh I took the Werkes slip on off and vacuumed out the rest of the cat food that someone (probably a kid from the previous owner) had put in the pipe. TuneECU map is currently the 20530 map which is not the one recommended for the Werkes slip on, but I figure I might get the bike running before I update the map. The bike has 36K miles on it and I'm think that the issue is the timing. Just wanted some feedback before I tear in to checking the timing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would check the stator first. I had the same issue with my 2007. Known problem but upgrade to newer style and no problems since. Diagnose before you start buying parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @evan717, but I already tore into the timing suspicion and as suspected the timing was WAY off. I am pretty sure it is the age old CCT issue. I adjusted the timing and it fired right up and...slapped like crazy. New manual CCT is on the way. Glad to know it runs though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently, the chain had been slapping for a bit before the bike stopped running, smh. When I removed the crankcase cover, the edges of the exhaust side cam chain guide had broken off and were just sitting inside the cover. Also, there is metal dust from the chain grinding away at the inside of the engine housing. So...we have removed the head to replace the cam chain and the guides. Now we are just waiting on the new head gasket to reassemble. Actually, having to do all this made checking all of the valves for damage easy, so knowing they look fine is a load off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts