Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

07 VS. 06

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  dr_gallup 
#1 ·
from what i understand, for 2007 triumph only changed the ecu, for
quicker starts and better mileage, and the heat shields.
so, my question, does changing the ecu change when the maximum torque
and horsepower come on? and the 07 has a couple more ponies and 1 less
lb feet of torque..

#4 ·
nicholsb420 said:
lb feet of torque..
Are you talking about physically changing the computer out? The ECU is a very basic computer that holds a program called the "map," which controls when the engine gets air, fuel, and spark based on inputs such as engine speed, throttle position, air temp, rate of throttle increase, etc...

Changing the program, or "map" (such as with PCIII or TuneBoy) would change the characteristics of the torque and hp curves, but swapping the ECU from an '07 for that of an '05-'06 would be going backwards.

#5 ·
kartstar said:
nicholsb420 said:
lb feet of torque..
Are you talking about physically changing the computer out? The ECU is a very basic computer that holds a program called the "map," which controls when the engine gets air, fuel, and spark based on inputs such as engine speed, throttle position, air temp, rate of throttle increase, etc...

Changing the program, or "map" (such as with PCIII or TuneBoy) would change the characteristics of the torque and hp curves, but swapping the ECU from an '07 for that of an '05-'06 would be going backwards.
A lot of buzz was created when Triumph announced the newer Keihin ECU for '07, and some people bought '07s rather than leftover '06s because of this ECU. Then it came out that many early '07s still had the older ECU, and some '07 buyers were pissed. Triumph explained that all '07s got new maps, and the older ECU '07s were 'virtually identical', due to this new map. :blah:

#6 ·
[/quote]

A lot of buzz was created when Triumph announced the newer Keihin ECU for '07, and some people bought '07s rather than leftover '06s because of this ECU. Then it came out that many early '07s still had the older ECU, and some '07 buyers were pissed. Triumph explained that all '07s got new maps, and the older ECU '07s were 'virtually identical', due to this new map. :blah:
[/quote]

Triumph is full of shit. Mine starts like shit and only gets 36/37 mpg. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

#7 ·
My 07 got the old ECU and started great till I got a Zard and had the tores tune loaded, now when cold I hit the starter for sec. bursts three or four times before she fires. No worries though, it just motivated me to get the 131HP advertised ..... at the wheel.

#11 ·
just check with the dealer when you go in... this has been mentioned in some other post, do a search for recent posts about ECUs....

#12 ·
i have no plans to change to a 07 ecu.. i will just
get a tuneboy ( or pcIII ) when the money permits.

i like my torque coming on low but i have just been
curious about the personality of the 07, with the torque
coming on later.... seems to be a little more inline
with the japanese four cylinders..

#13 ·
nicholsb420 said:

Once you start playing with the map, you can get the torque to come on anywhere you want it. Given the same engine and stock exhaust, I doubt we'd be able notice the difference hopping from an '06 to an '07.

#14 ·
nicholsb420 said:

The differences are so small I doubt most people would notice it. Maybe in a back to back comparison but it is not going to change the essential character of the engine. The rags focus on minute details and blow them all out of proportion because it's "news".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.