Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have the 1050 Speed Triple engine apart, does anyone want any specific photos or measurements?

I plan on a few photos of the mods I am doing. And before and after flow numbers of the heads with and without the throttle body connected. Is there anything else anyone wants/needs before I put it back in the bike in Feb.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CB - now that I have gotten a BIT more caught up, the bike is back on the agenda. The engine is removed and sitting on a stand. I HOPE to have the head on the flowbench this weekend... we'll see. I have to get my micrometer back from my brother first... THAT could be tough.

I see SO much I want to clean up in the ports and in the chambers.

AND I am expecting a call from you this weekend. (hint, HINT)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HarriS - My thought exactly!
Clean up the bowls and valve guides, a few dimples in the low velocity areas and in front of the injectors, and texture the outside bowl walls and chambers near the seats.

And step the intake port entries (about 1mm/40 thou) larger for anti-reversion and improved distribution.

This ain't no race project. I just want to get the easy hp, increase torque a bit, and improve throttle response.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
UPDATE:
I am getting caught up a bit. I hope to have some photos up late this weekend.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I am thinking about going forced induction NEXT winter.

I want to get what power is easily available first, then a blower or turbo will make even more power and be more reliable with the coated and balanced internals, and ported head.

This is why i am staying with the stock cams... and very low amount of overlap.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Actually I mentioned that I had just located injectors fr the S3 to run ethanol (E85) and POSSIBLY 10% nitro eventually - it tunes like gas.  :wtf:

I doubt I would actually run nitro in a street bike, it is very corrosive and flushing the engine and crankcase SUX.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Devious2xs said:
Actually I mentioned that I had just located injectors fr the S3 to run ethanol (E85) and POSSIBLY 10% nitro eventually - it tunes like gas. :wtf:

I doubt I would actually run nitro in a street bike, it is very corrosive and flushing the engine and crankcase SUX.
That was it! See brain is getting addled!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Devious2xs said:
Actually I mentioned that I had just located injectors fr the S3 to run ethanol (E85) and POSSIBLY 10% nitro eventually - it tunes like gas. :wtf:

Whose injectors are they? Got a link or pic? Inquiring minds want to know. I love the smell on nitro in the morning, it smells like victory!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Siemens supposedly has a new(er) line of the small pencil injectors. I am trying to get data on the whole line.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Given that I know absolutly nothing about nitromethane, what would be the benefit of running it in speedy???

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Instant Torque!

Nitro gives a low end kick that must be experienced to fully appreciate. ;)

But it is corrosive as hell, and you have to flush the engine very well - including the crankcase. In higher percentages, you must disassemble. Nitro is just dream, but E85 looks very interesting.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I see that there is a Brazil Only tune on Tuneboy's web site. Might that be a tune for running high percentages of ethanol? I know that most of the cars down there are "Dual Fuel" to some extent. Many of them have a switch on the dash! "Petrol/Ethanol"

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Nitromethane brings along some of it's own oxygen molecules so it is like having a bigger engine. You have to run much richer fueling, depending on the nitro concentration. The down side is that it will combine with engine oils and make something similar to nitroglycerine. Any fuel washing down the cylinders and sitting in the crankcases will blow them apart the next time you start up the engine. That is why they usually have a dual fuel system to start up and shut down on gas or alcohol. And change the oil promptly!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
crashmasterd said:
I see that there is a Brazil Only tune on Tuneboy's web site. Might that be a tune for running high percentages of ethanol? I know that most of the cars down there are "Dual Fuel" to some extent. Many of them have a switch on the dash! "Petrol/Ethanol"
All the flex fuel vehicles I've worked on, including Brazilian VW's, have a fuel sensor that measures the alcohol content since you rarely have 100% gasoline or 85% ethanol but something in between depending on what was in the tank when you fill up. I have never seen a flex fuel bike but it is technically feasible. Range would really suck on E85 though.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Range wouldn't necesarily suck. I worked with a friend on a WRX running E-85. The higher octane allowed much more boost, and we only lost about 4% range in the end.

In a NA application, a bike is just begging for compression, and more compression means improved range - within reason, sooner or later you run into a piston dome reducing burn characteristics.

Done right, this could be a fun project.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts