Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that this info keeps getting lost on Trat(bumped back so many pages, surely nothing to do with my posts ;D), so I decided to post it here, where it will be much easier to find.

SPEED TRIPLE 1050 FRONT BRAKE

Re: Speed Triple 1050 front brake - increased lever travel. Machines built
prior to Vin: 253302.

A small number of Speed Triple customers of bikes built prior to Vin 253302
are reporting dissatisfaction with the Speed Triple 1050 radial front brake
and for reasons of customer goodwill, we would like to confirm our wish to
satisfy these owners.

The reported issue is that of control lever travel variation which has been
a concern of some customers, to the extent that we have modified later Speed
Triple models to accommodate our customers' requirements.

For clarity we wish to confirm that the enhancement fitted on the latest
models is available to customers who purchased 1050 Speed Triples prior to
VIN 253302 as a goodwill gesture. This involves the installation of coated
caliper pistons to the front brake calipers only. Please carry out this work
for any customers' who express any concerns.

How to claim modification costs from us:

For convenience, please use the Warranty On Line system to process this
goodwill work using:

claim type "GOODWILL",

fault code 02020291 and

repair code 12020205.

This new repair code covers the time to modify 2 caliper assemblies and the
admin credit element. Please conduct a Full Download from tomorrow onwards
to capture these new codes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Along with a Tuneboy downloads section we should have a "Warranty" section so this info can be easily found. Good post cheapster.
Fred

·
Registered
729 Posts
The thing is that is it really the permanent fix everybody has been waiting for. Triumphrat forum is loaded with messages: "I got the brakes fixed today/yesterday and they feel great". The brakes feel great for a moment no matter what you do them but is this fix really the final one?

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure Harris, I haven't even got the work done on mine yet. But it is the only 'warranty claim' that I know of that Triumph has actually released themselves, so I just thought I would post the free warranty fix for people to try. I'm planning on taking a trip to my dealer sometime in March and get this taken care of. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Tight TL said:
Along with a Tuneboy downloads section we should have a "Warranty" section so this info can be easily found. Good post cheapster.
Fred
The FACTORY section would be a good place for items like this.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Just a suggestion.
That way we could organize good info like this.
But this is a good place too. ;D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ah a subject very close to my heart.

My baby is 2 yo in 17 days. I reported Spongey brakes to my dealer within a month of owning her.

I think it was the 1st SPONGEY BRAKE thread on rat.net, so yes its all my fault. Whinging Pomme

::)

They've tried several 6+ times to fix it as others have confirmed as a good will gesture. I have even spoke to the people at the factory a couple of times. Finally and I hope it is finally my pistons were changed for some "coated" ones a month ago when we had a break in the crap weather. Even though the bike has not been used I can tell it IS better as the standing bike would gain lever travel even as it stands in my garage. Since the mod there has been no change in lever travel. I'm a happy bunny now....Fingers crossed
MH
My vin is 2314..

·
Registered
817 Posts
You think my dealer would replace my pistons if I brought him the calipers? The whole front brake system is still in one piece. I should ride down there on Speedy, and whip the stock brakes out of my backpack.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Go for it. If you've the right vin then he wont turn you away.
MH

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I cured mine a long way back. 5/8 master and twin lines and a bit of teflon tape on the bleeders. A good bleed and they're still stiff. Couldn't wait for Triumph to come up with a cure. I hate mushy brakes.

G

·
Just had my pistons replaced, But dealer had a problem removing one of the caliper bolts. Got it back and they had replaced all bolts, slightly longer with 2-3 washers behind. Looked awful. On further inspection the bolt they had problems removing had stripped nearly all the thread in the radial mount. :jerkit: I rang back obviously, and now bike is back in to be repaired properly ???

Anyway the real reason i'm writing this is because as I was leaving the dealer the first time, I was told that if the fix didn't work, they would also replace my master cylinder for the larger one. This is what they had been told to do for the Sprint and would probably be ok to do on triple as well.
We will have to wait and see. If this comes to fruition I will let you all know.

G

·
Erico in Denver have my parts on order, they told me they were gonna put on a new master cylinder, brake lever and the pistons......all covered by triumph. I'm guessing it will be a larger master cylinder, anyone have this done as part of the warranty fix?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Cool beans!! Mine is after the update. Oh, hi by the way.. with all the BS over on Trat I thought I'd see what this site was all about. To early to decide, both sites have somthing to offer. Too bad the admin over there is out of control. :mad:

·
Registered
167 Posts
mine have been holding up now for 1.5 months and it's great. they feel nice, and solid.
(currently the bike is at the dealers for mystery starter issue)

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
HarriS said:
The thing is that is it really the permanent fix everybody has been waiting for. Triumphrat forum is loaded with messages: "I got the brakes fixed today/yesterday and they feel great". The brakes feel great for a moment no matter what you do them but is this fix really the final one?
Like you HarriS, I had my doubts. I had the work done over a month and 1500Km ago and I think I can say confidently that this has fixed the problem. I have a full lever and it has remained consistent since the work was done. I'm happy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
legman said:
Like you HarriS, I had my doubts. I had the work done over a month and 1500Km ago and I think I can say confidently that this has fixed the problem. I have a full lever and it has remained consistent since the work was done. I'm happy!
Where did you have yours done Legman? When I had my 10k service back in Feb they had no idea in the city??

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Peter Stevens in Dandenong. Sparti is having his done in the City tomorrow, so they know about it now.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My bike is @ the dealer waiting for the a new m/c, it has been on back order for 2 months. If anyone is waiting for a 5/8 master on the big T's dime, it could be a while!! :squid:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts