Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yet another service post.
anyone DIY this or am i going it alone?

just looking for a heads up on stuff to go buy before i start taking things apart. i've heard grease for the bearings so far. what about valve whatsits? i've never adjusted valves before but i have a bike mechanic at the ready in the shop if i need him :)

i gots the manual too.(the pdf version)

i'm putting in new plugs again while i'm in there and ... ?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
It's easy enough to check the valve clearance yourself. If it's OK then your done. If not you have one of the bigger maintenance jobs in front of you. Do you have a 1050 or 955? 1050 you have to pull the cams. Not impossible for DIY but lots of people get scared off by this. Easy to fuc# up your motor if you screw up the cam timing. 955 is easier, you can replace the shims w/o removing the cams. You do need a special tool. You need to know the clearances & the existing shim thicknesses before you can buy new shims.

Don't forget to grease the rear hub.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
The doc is right. It's really not that hard to check yer valve clearances. If I did it, anyone can do it. :slap: ;D I just checked mine last weekend. Everything was at the top of the tolerances so I just left it alone. I've heard of quite a few that checked theirs and it did not need adjusting, so my bet is you are good. But I'd still check them since it's not quite that bad. It would be nice if you had longer shims to check the clearances, mine were a bitch. Now I just have to grease up that rear end. :shocker: :wtf: Now go have fun! :eboy:

;D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ten-fiddy here. i need a special tool to pull the cams if i have to pull the cams? do the dealerships usually stock those or does it have to be ordered?

i promised myself when i bought this bike that for no reason would it ever see a dealership again. :)

G

·
hoostine said:
ten-fiddy here. i need a special tool to pull the cams if i have to pull the cams? do the dealerships usually stock those or does it have to be ordered?

i promised myself when i bought this bike that for no reason would it ever see a dealership again. :)
No special tool needed for the 1050

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Like Cheap said, find a long prebent shim if you can, it'll be a little easier. I only had to adjust two valves on the intake, it's really not that hard, but intimidating. The tendency for these motors is for the valve clearances to tighten, however, mine were loose. All of the other clearances measured the same. you may want to enlist the help of your mechanic friend.
And you don't need a tool to pull the cams, if I were to do it again, i'd only pull one at a time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Feeler? I hardly know her.

I did the valves on my fathers 885 TBS, stone simple.

Checked the valves, the intake for the middle piston needed love.

The biggest pain was a torn valve cover gasket!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Don't tell me you guys don't know what a feeler gauge is! You all are talking about how its a pain in the ass to find a shim to bend and try to use it like its a wannabe feeler gauge, I thought I was being helpful. You guys are all a bunch of sarcastic bastards!
:fingure:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.