Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Speed_Triple

speed triple wikipedia talks about limited number of 955 SE models made with all black frame and swing arm. I think these where only made during year 2004.

I think this is one of the best looking models there is, even better then 1050, because it has real size tail and that makes it looks like muscle bike. 1050 tail may look good without a rider, but with rider on board it is too small.

How many 955SE's have been made? I tried to search that information, but didn't find sh..

JakeT.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Actually I wrote that article and did a little research. I don't know the exact number made, but it wasn't very many. Essentially they were made with the new frames and the old engines and bodywork. If I remember right they also had the new swing arm, which is a little different too. The 2005 Daytona is a similar contraption. It has the new swing arm but is mostly the same as the 2004 Daytona. It is of course the last year of the 955i Daytona.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion on which you like best. Personally I like the 2005+ tail section, but the 2004- tank. You can't have everything!

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Cool!

Out of curiosity does it have the earlier rounded swing arm, or the later squareer one with the little swoosh cast in it?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I tried to get an 04 SE, but the dealer told me it would be super hard to find late in the model year. As it was apparent they couldn't get one, I ordered a black 05, but it took so long, it ended up being an 06. I do love the look of the 04's. I would pick up an SE or any 955i if the price was right!! A friend has a atomic red 955i, He may be getting a 1050 soon, and I'll snap it up and make one hell of a comuter out of it (after I paint the entire bike matt black).

·
Registered
508 Posts
crashmasterd said:
Out of curiosity does it have the earlier rounded swing arm, or the later squareer one with the little swoosh cast in it?
I had not heard that any of the '04 examples were built using the newer swingarm. I haven't seen any of those myself, but then, I obviously haven't been looking for it either. ;)
FWIW, mine has the older swingarm design.

Just curious, but how does the newer frame differ from the old?

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
The new frame is painted Black instead of Silver. ::) There's also supposed to be some slight geometry changes. This is based on some conflicting magazine articles. My 02/03 manual says the wheel base is 1431 mm, while my 05 manual states it 1429 mm. I assume that the frame tail section is different due to the differing rear bodywork.

It may have more to do with triple clamps than frame, but my 02/03 manual says the castor is 22.8º and the trail is 81 mm. My 05 manual says the castor is 23.5º and the trail is 84 mm. This may account for the slight difference in wheel base.

I'm unclear on the swing arm (contradicting stories) but I do know that the 2005 Daytona has the new swingarm. It's also not certain that the 04 SE model has the new frame or just the old frame painted black. OR if there is any difference at all between frames.

Hopefully this is helping clear things up instead of confusing the issue.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the seat height has more to do with subframe and tank design. I think 1050 tank let's the driver get more closer to the bars.

altered lenght of the bike can be changed by the swing arm, maybe the new one is shorter.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
crashmasterd said:
Personally I like the 2005+ tail section, but the 2004- tank. You can't have everything!
Yes you can ya pansie! You'd just need to modify a few things, but it could fit. I put a T595 tail on my bike. I'm pretty sure the 1050 tail would bolt right on too as the main frame hasn't changed much. IMO 02-04 tank and 97-01 tail looks best. Hoping this winter I'll get the frame and bodywork redone.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
While I'm sure it could be done Kuhlka, it's a thornier problem than you think. The underside of the tank and the airbox is radically different between the 2005 and the 2004.

If I were that motivated and interested I would do it, but I'm just not. I don't dislike the 2005+ tank, I just like the earlier one better!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.