Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and Second Gear 'clunk' since I got it. Always planned to fix but the clutch lever was always stiff. Recently after replacing the clutch cable, it wasn't set correctly and slipped a bit under load for about 20 miles. Cable adjusted properly to fix. However, since then the clutch drags to the point of being incredibly difficult to find neutral when hot.

Did a whole bunch of homework before coming to a conclusion: Lifter pin and sticking plates.

Replaced pin with T1171234. Pullled whole clutch pack and checked ALL specs. Steel thickness, flatness, Friction plate thickness, burnishing. Everything looked normal. minimal sticking of plates on disassembly. I checked the basket fingers for binding using friction plates and the fingernail plates both. It is ok, maybe only .003-.004 grooves, but still a bit concerning. Decided to run it.

Only thing I didn't check really is the basket bearing. It seemed to spin fine, but I did not disassemble yet, as I didn't want to invest in a clutch tool.

No joy after replacement. Levels checked. Running Castrol Power 1 10W-40 Full Syn. Level double checked.

Unsure of where to go from here. Thinking just throwing a set of plates and springs at it. Would it be prudent to just do the basket bearing?

Final side question: Would any of this cause 4th-6th false neutrals? They come from time to time if I don't manhandle the gearbox enough....

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2007 Speed triple with similar ks. My mechanic replaced the basket bearing and it fixed the issue completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue with my 2007 Speed triple with similar ks. My mechanic replaced the basket bearing and it fixed the issue completely.
Thx m8. Think I'm going to go this route. Wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw plates and springs at it as well, since I'm in there....

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, a new (to me) basket and bearing came today. Slapped it in and had marginal improvement. Still really clunky into 1st and 2nd from neutral. Meanwhile my Tiger is nice and smooth. The service manual talks about preloading the backlash gear through the witness hole on the basket, but doesn't offer any diagram other than the basket witness hole. Does anyone know where this is?

I did get a chance to press out the bearing and wouldn't you know it, its a 35x42x23 with no annular ring. Hit the google for a part and it looks like this Honda part will actually work. 91026-MV9-671

That said, I'm not convinced that a basket bearing is my issue at this point... Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update. Here's what I did:

Parts:
-Clutch basket bearing (Honda P/N 91026-MV9-671)
-New steels (upgraded to the dimpled from later models)
-New EBC plates (soaked overnight)
-Lifter pin with oilway (didn't want to file mine).

I also took a file and honed the basket and drum fingers a bit to mitigate binding of the plates and steels as they are released.

One of these seems to have done the trick. The S3 Shifts super smooth now. Ready for the season!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts