Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this absolutely pristine and well loved RS, first impressions:
1. Engine and gearbox are brilliant, power everywhere and smooth gear changes. It feels much faster than my older models even with the 955 cam mods, this RS engine would smoke it, also love the quick-shifter.
2. Exhaust looks and sounds great when you're on it, but at freeway speeds the resonance is unbearable GR Moto Carbon can on it's way.
3. Suspension way too hard, like all manufacturers that come with Ohlins the internals are just their no frills version. Shock treatment will be doing the re valving and setup in 2 weeks.
4. Front brakes no where near as good as the older models, disclaimer I've never ridden a bike with ABS before, maybe that accounts for the spongy brake lever. I'm going to bleed it see how I go from there.
5. Also be looking for new rear sprocket, 1 tooth less.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Exhaust update:
I found the cause of the resonance, the exhaust is bolted directly to the rear sub frame, metal to metal. I made up some rubber washers (not the prettiest but effective).
It's now much more pleasant to ride at freeway speeds.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Audio equipment Fashion accessory Circle Embellishment
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Audio equipment Fashion accessory Circle Embellishment

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if you were still riding. Been a while.
Good to see you back on the Trumpets.....
Hi mate, how's life in paradise? I haven't ridden for ages, I was supposed to be sailing around the world so I sold all my bikes then covid struck, then boat got broken into while lockdown was happening they stole batteries etc so the bilge pumps were not working, so during some really bad weather the boat sank the starboard hull and ended up getting written off by the insurance company.
So I went back to work and decided if I'm staying I need a new bike, so speedy number 3 it is.

Water Sky Boat Vehicle Watercraft
Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on that one! I was actually looking at purchasing that exact bike as well ^^ But been trying to find a black/fluro one around here in NSW, glad you're loving it and hopefully it'll bring you many smiles to come!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking for a smaller mono, it was under insured and cat market has gone nuts. I'm happy to be riding again, I'm getting the suspension sorted this Saturday at Shock treatment, then I'll be able to enjoy riding it without a kidney belt. I hope you and Tobes enjoy your beers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Wow, big plans dashed! That's a real bummer that cat looks like a weapon"

I sailed it down from Port Macquarie, weather was a bit lively we were doing 19 knots at one stage surfing down the swell.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How are you mate? Stock was 17/43, way to high for cruising.
Interesting. 17/42 was the stock Speedys going back to the 955 Speedys up till I'm guessing 2016 and later. I'm guessing they opted to fit the 43 rear to help keep it feeling lively in the company of Aprillia Tuono V4s or BMW S1000Rs or Duc Street Fighter V4 etc.

I'm going alright, just staying out of trouble, keeping dry and trying to avoid being labelled a terrorist by the Transport Minister...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting. 17/42 was the stock Speedys going back to the 955 Speedys up till I'm guessing 2016 and later. I'm guessing they opted to fit the 43 rear to help keep it feeling lively in the company of Aprillia Tuono V4s or BMW S1000Rs or Duc Street Fighter V4 etc.

I'm going alright, just staying out of trouble, keeping dry and trying to avoid being labelled a terrorist by the Transport Minister...
Yep, that's probably the reason but it was way too high. I'm following in your foot steps, working for Pacific National Intermodal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dropped the bike at Tuneboy yesterday to get remapped. Very interesting and cluey guy, he's going to adjust the track, sport and road modes and also try and play with the downshift auto blipper, it can be hit and miss if the engine is not loaded. I'm looking forward to getting it back next weekend.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts