Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, It’s time to turbo my 99’ Speed Triple.

I LOVE THIS BIKE! It has just over 65k miles on it, including several cross-country trips. I have a couple of Triumphs, or it would have more miles on it.

Last month, I let my girlfriend borrow it to ride to Arkansas to see family. While she was there, her step dad thought the battery was low, I have a small drain since I installed heated grips. He started bike to charge bike, and forgot about it. By the time they got back, it was overheating and coolant was boiling out.

Side note: This was not my girlfriend’s fault, She works on all her own bikes. She knows bikes. For some reason, some A-holes think they get to mess with girl’s bikes. DON’T! They are riders and deserve respect like any other rider! You wouldn’t mess with a guy’s bike without permission, don’t mess with a girl’s bike without permission! It was an a-hole guy that thought he knew better that [email protected] up my bike!
p.s. the guy who messed it up, is buying new engine, cases are wharped.

Anyway…….
The silver lining? I’ve always wanted to turbo the bike, now I’m gonna.

First things first…. A good workspace!

I have a 2 car garage with a 6x12 room in the back. The room is too small for much work, and isn’t used much. So time for it to go.
I gave my 13 year old son and his friend an axe and a sledge and told them to get to work!

They where sooooo happy!

Then I bought some metal shelves from Home Depot and built the workbenches on top of the shelves. They are nice and sturdy!

Silly side note:
During this time, the transfer case on my land cruiser went out. I found one about 100 miles away, so here is my Tiger 800xc with the transfer case strapped on it about to ride from Tulsa to OKC

So now the garage has the work space I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
:finger::finger::finger::finger:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now to taking the bike apart.

I have it on my bike stands, and took of plastic, then removing the engine.

It is not terribly hard to disconnect and take out. especially since i'm not worrying out how to put it all back in. (more on that later)

Here is a pic of my bikes before I started teardown

Don't forget to drain oil and coolant before you take out engine.
Anyone want to guess what I forgot to do before I took out engine?

There are 8 star bolts to take out, 4 on either side. don't forget the ones by the swingarm pivot.

I uses ratchet straps to hold it in place, then to lower gently to the ground.

That pic keeps loading sideways. sorry.

But out the engine came.

That is a heavy lump of an engine!

Next removing wiring and headlights and dash!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Nice workshop and write up.
Might be the thread of the year.
I’m envious of the Porche.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Crash hates folks with cars, motorcycles and garages
I have a garage, asshöle. I even park in it.

...and unlike you, I don't have to sleep in it! :hdfu:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next was the headlights, dash and the wiring.

Dash and lights where easy. Everything is connectors, disconnect, remove bolts, easy.

Not to get rid of all the other wiring.
So you may wonder why I'm taking this all out.
when I put it all back together, I am putting in a new wiring harness. My bike fell over a while back, and since then, it had a short somewhere in the lighting system. I had to rewire the lights to make them work, and there where some other issues.
I also want to simplify the wiring to the custom controls I plan to use. I am also planning on using a new electronic dash. So new wiring will be needed anyway.

the other thing? I am replacing or repacking all the bearings for the swingarm. And while it is apart, I am going to powder coat the frame and swingarm. So it all has to come out anyway.

The rear shock reservoir and the rear brake have to be removed to get this out.

It looks pretty bare now

No turning back now!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
You haven't met Limey? Our resident curmudgeon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[FONT=&quot]So, some of the issues I'm having, is parts sourcing. It isn't easy to find forged pistons and rods for my bike. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] a couple of other things I'm trying to source is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Turbo Cam Shaft,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Extra oil coolers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] And Ohlins made a rear shock for these bikes. Would love to find one. It would have to be used, then have it rebuilt. If anyone knows of one, or even a lead on how to find one, it would be appreciated. I know it's kind of a pipe dream to find one, but I'll try![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm planning on converting the front end to inverted ohlins forks. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyone have suggestions?[/FONT]

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
An Aussie that used to be on here, did a turbo fit to his 2000 model. I think he also fitted GSXR upside down forks and may be a Sprint GT swingarm. His name is Watto. Look him up and search through his posts. Unfortunately none of his photos are still available. Send him a pm, and I'll call him and get him to check his messages. He will be able to help you out I'm sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An Aussie that used to be on here, did a turbo fit to his 2000 model. I think he also fitted GSXR upside down forks and may be a Sprint GT swingarm. His name is Watto. Look him up and search through his posts. Unfortunately none of his photos are still available. Send him a pm, and I'll call him and get him to check his messages. He will be able to help you out I'm sure.
Thanks, will look him up!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
The longer Sprint swing arm would def be a good idea with a turbo. Ignore the stator comment, no only would it not fit but your air cooled unit is more reliable. Good luck with finding the rods & pistons.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The longer Sprint swing arm would def be a good idea with a turbo. Ignore the stator comment, no only would it not fit but your air cooled unit is more reliable. Good luck with finding the rods & pistons.

For my purposes, I can't extend the wheel base more than 2 inches. Plus, I still love the look of the single sided swingarm!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So, A little more stripping down. Front end off.

So I am contemplating switching to inverted forks. But would like to find out the actual benefit for me to do this. I know about the unsprung weight, less stiction. etc. but would like to know the numbers behind this. Also, would be able to put on a more modern and lighter wheel.
Anyone know of weights of wheels and forks? or how to find the info? google searches did not find it.

Sub-frame is gone too.

[FONT=&quot]As you can see at the bottom of the photo, I went to Harbour Freight and got a cheap box with drawers so I could keep track of all the bolts and parts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next is swingarm and shock![/FONT]

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the weight on the front wheel. That is just what I wanted to know. I have the 6' rear wheel byt the way.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I did a lot of reading on the USD forks. And the rigidity, unsprung weight and less stiction are the big bonuses. But I also read that for the most part, you have to be doing some hard riding to make it all worthwhile.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The reason Im thinking of it, is because I am thinking about taking my bike to the Texas mile, see what it would do. So the better fork might be beneficial for that, and would love having lighter rotational mass for street riding.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But, I this is a purpose built bike. And that purpose is to go as fast as I can make it go. But I also have to work within the budget of a retired FireFighter, so I need to make sure the front end is worth the investment.[/FONT]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts