Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah. It's getting closer. I hate painting and paint prep.

Anyway, here's some preliminary preview pics of the project. Much more to do, but I hope to have it running and on the road this week. I've made finishing the tank my priority so I can fit the fuel pump and bolt that together. I have some custom Triumph vinyl logos coming, (as well as something else very custom) which should be here Saturday or Monday. They'll be flat black to go on the camo, but still be somewhat visible.

The grey didn't come out as dark as I wanted, but the olive drab is fine. It could be darker though. I'm wondering if I can clear over the whole thing with a tint that will darken it all up?

Still unsure about mirrors. Lots of options.

Lot's of little bits will be painted a special black- more on that later!

I'm thinking of painting some of the engine cases olive drab to match, and I have something special in mind for the swing arm. I've fixed the scratches in the swing arm, but it still needs paint. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Are you using paint or real CARC?

Looks good, but different. Nice to see something different, and this is definitely different. ;D

I have seen eurethane clears put on over CARC and zinc primers, and hold up well.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truthfully...

It's rattle can Krylon, specifically for plastic! It's aimed at the ORV and hunting market, and sticks really well to the tank. Not quite so good to the bodywork which is a different kind of plastic.

This is all experimental because the parts were so beat up. I've fixed and repaired so it's acceptable, but it'll never be perfect again.

Hey, I'm nothing if not different. :tongue2:

I based the whole idea on this picture:

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AlaskaS3 said:
Ummm, hate to be the bearer of bad news.... you forgot the front fender!
Damn. Thanks for pointing that out! I probably would have taken off down the road and never noticed!

Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Its looking good Crash.....good to see it in one piece again. Keep us up to date on the progress. You must be tonguein' for a ride.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AlaskaS3 said:
Oh come on. I was kidding!
...and you took anything a guy who just painted his speed triple camouflage said seriously? 

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
well crash, ya know I like it. I've been say'n ever since I bought mine I thought one would look totally bitch'n with that paintjob. I think a bullseye on the tank would be very appropriate. ;) ;D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Why not just get Kevlar case covers instead of painting? You'd get the added protection of kevlar, plus look all militaristic'n'shit.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dfib said:
Gonna add the bullseye thingees??? Roundrels are they???
They're called "Rondels" so you were pretty close!

Unfortunately I don't think so. I played with the idea a bit, but the only places I could fit them and make them look good required them to be pretty small. I may stick a couple on the rear body work by the "Speed Triple" logo, but they'll only be about 1 inch in diameter.

As I said, work in progress. Painting the front fender tonight!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I painted the front fender flat black as a primer, and I think it looks pretty good that way! It may just stay.

I got it all put together and took it to the track last night for a little drag racing. Unfortunately we got rained out fairly quickly so I only got two runs. There's no doubt it's quicker with the tune and the Chainreaction pipes (and removed pre-cat and header cleanup). How quick is uncertain. Both runs were about 3 MPH faster at the 1/4 mile, but my Elapsed Times weren't significantly better than my average.

However, I haven't run since October so I wasn't in the best form. My 60' and 1/8th mile times weren't very impressive. It seems to have gained in the top end, but the bottom end is uncertain. I wasn't happy with either of my starts. My previous best MPH was 118, and my best ever ET was 11.33.

Run 1) 1/4 mile ET: 11.46 @ 120.85 MPH
Run 2) 1/4 mile ET: 11.56 @ 120.59 MPH

Note I'm not a very good drag racer.

Oh, and Mikey, don't let it stop you from doing it! I got a lot of looks and good comments last night. ...and some WTF looks. ??? Mostly the young punk rice-burner crowd loved it.

More pics soon, but it's raining right now.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The difference between the runs is a full tenth. Your launch is likely the issue, since the MPH was close.

What were the 60' times for both runs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts