Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. Got a bit too much throttle slack on 06 S3, and want to tighten it up. Any special things to know before I start turning a wrench??? Thanks in advance for the help!

G

·
Yea, I really need to do this on the 919. When I'm leaning over in corners in 1st or 2nd gear the throttle is so jerky from all the play. I've never even taken a tank off of a bike so it'll be interesting. I'm sure it can't be much worse than working on a car though.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
jdonly1 said:
I done this the other day,nice and easy and makes a big difference
It is surprising how easy it is, and how much better the bike is afterwards.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Both my throttle cable and now my drive chain have too much slack in them. Yesterday when I was riding, it was a P.I.T.A. when riding around town at a steady speed, lurching and surging all the time. I am going to drop the bike off for it's first service today, it should be a good test of the dealership's service dept. :popcorn:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My '07 doesn't have adjusters on the bar either. I Guess I'll pull the tank. For those that have done this, are there any suprises that I should be weary of?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Guv - it is easy to adjust the cable(s) at the throttle body once you remove the tank and airbox.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dead right Dev,
I did it last week end and was a doddle. For those who have not had the tank off take care on the two hoses for the overflow and vent. Mark the outside one off with a bit of tape and put it back in the same place. Other wise a peice of piss.
Much more fun now its done.
MH
PS
Tune boy next but mate still working on my laptop.....

Devious2xs said:
Guv - it is easy to adjust the cable(s) at the throttle body once you remove the tank and airbox.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks guys. I know the adjustments will be simple. I've never taken a tank off of a bike before though. Should I wait until the tank is mostly empty, or drain the fuel? Do I lift it straight off, or is there a technic to it. Should I bring a friend?
Thanks,
Derek

G

·
Allen bolt at the top, bolt by the seat at the bottom, two screws that hold the side panels to the tank. lift the tank slowly( the less fuel the better, no need to drain) squeeze the fuel line retaining clip and pull. Two smaller hoses that pull off, mark these so they go back on the same place. (the hsoe with the check valve to the outside.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sweet. Sounds simple enough, thanks Limey. Not to sound like a complete newbie but, when I squeeze the retaining clip and pull, fuel should start immediatly draining from the tank right?
D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The tank has a check ball in the valve.

keep the hose end elevated or it will pour out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Don't forget to disconnect the fuel pump connector, too!

I leave the top allen screw in, but loose. This holds the tank from sliding off the bike while you're fiddling with the hoses and electrical connection. Once you've got the four things disconnected, just slide the slide back off the top allen, and lift it off the bike.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Johnny5 said:
Thanks for this Devi, did it this morning, much better.
Glad to help. ;)

Such a simple thing, that makes a big improvement to how the bike feels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts