Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta give some credit here to ambulance officers (paramedics). My mate's 24 year old daughter lost control of her car a few nights back, ran off the road. Hit a power pole, bounced back on to the road and was hit by a car following.

She ended up with a broken collarbone, 4 broken ribs, a torn lung, and a badly broken back. She was delivered by ambulance to a major trauma centre in the city, and after a very long and delicate operation which inserted 8 screws and 4 metal plates in her spine she was then placed in ICU. The doctor said that a part of a broken vertebra was within a fraction of a millimetre from severing her spinal cord. The operation was succesful and she was helped on to her feet two days later.

The point of this story is that she was removed from the badly damaged car, and delivered 45 miles to the trauma centre by the ambulance officers with such care and skill that no further damage was done and she will be able to walk again

Kudos and thanks to those ambos and others like em everywhere.....you too Dfib

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yep. Respect! :pow:

That's what you get from years and years of experience, it's just routine, normal level of performance. Kinda creepy though to think of all the bad situations they got that experience from :eek:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, I know how great those guys are. MUCH better than the firefighters who tried to remove the glove off my broken wrist by pulling on it instead of unvelcroing it! The guys I got a ride to the hospital with were great too, I was joking around with em the whole time. :blah:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ouch Trip! I have never had to take that ride (hell, I've never had to go to the hospital! ;D). I intend to keep it that way...

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Like many cops (obviously not all cops) these guys generally don't get the recognition they should. You tend to only hear the good stories, not the times when they go to an accident and there's nothing they can do. My cousin was an EMT, but he quit after going to a car accident and having a baby die in his arms while performing CPR.

Anyone who can perform this job and maintain their sanity has my respect.

·
Registered
487 Posts
crashmasterd said:
I went to cooking school with a guy who quit EMT training when he had to scrape a guy's brains off the wall after the dude sucked on a shotgun barrel.... yeah, these guys deserve respect.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
crashmasterd said:
Like many cops (obviously not all cops) these guys generally don't get the recognition they should. You tend to only hear the good stories, not the times when they go to an accident and there's nothing they can do. My cousin was an EMT, but he quit after going to a car accident and having a baby die in his arms while performing CPR.

How bout us not so sane ones? ;) ;D

Leggy, good to hear your mates daughter is gonna pull through!

If you're fired up, have your mate send them a thank you note. For the little amount of work, it will absolutely make their day. :drink:

And by all means I hope I never have to meet any of ya professionally! Although any one of you are welcome to IV rehydration if ya stop by for a beer or several! ;)

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Dfib said:
crashmasterd said:
How bout us not so sane ones? ;) ;D
Phbbbbth! Anyone can be insane! Just look at me! Like these girls are!

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dfib said:
Leggy, good to hear your mates daughter is gonna pull through!

If you're fired up, have your mate send them a thank you note. For the little amount of work, it will absolutely make their day. :drink:
He's already got that in hand, Dfib. :wave:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I could never do the job myself, but they go both ways. Most of them are very good, but unfortunately i had a really bad experience with one team. I was burned severely a few years back and was going into shock in the back of a minivan. They couldn't be bothered to put down their coffee and load me up, so my friends did it. I wasn't all there, but apparently when they arrived on the scene they literally got out with coffee in their hands and watched me in the back of the van, then just opened up the ambulance door and stood there.

Then on the ride in, these 2 asshats accused me of arson, drunk driving (wasn't drinking, wasn't driving - I think they were actually firemen in an ambulance) and didn't treat my burns, they just handed me a clipboard to fill out. I ended up grabbing an IV bag off the shelf and tearing it open, then pouring it on my foot. Hope that focker enjoyed cleaning it up. I don't remember much of the incident, but I do distinctly remember those parts.

edit - I almost lost the toes off that foot, btw.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We have a special helicopter paramedic unit that takes care of the most severe and urgent traumas. A lot of times when there's a severe motorcycle accident that's the unit that responds. They're absolutely the best trauma unit in the whole country with the best paramedics and doctors in it. Too bad it's constantly under threat because it's insanely expensive to uphold. But then again it saves so many lives it doesn't matter. That's the unit I want to respond if I crash badly :) There's the added bonus of free helicopter ride, but I guess that doesn't matter much at that point ;D

·
Registered
340 Posts
:sign5:

Except I don't actually know if you're stupid - i just couldn't find a better pointing upward post. Which trauma unit are you referring to?

Trauma bird pilot is one of my dream jobs. Too bad it ties you down so much / is so hard to get. You get to fly decent to stupid fast birds anywhere the hell you please in and out of cities. You get to land in the most absurd places, you never have to take 8 hour trips, and no one is shooting at you. Finally - and here's the best part - you can go home to your family at the end of your shift.

Oh, and you're saving lives and not killing anything! You have the military sense of urgency w/o the destruction. (I don't have a problem with killing on a moral ground for war, but lets be honest, the concept isn't exactly a cool one and not something you can go home at the end of the day and tell your kids about.)

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
:sign5: too, but the pay is shit :poop: :poop: and it is dangerous work.... Lot's of medi-vac crashes every year.

Some of the most ballsy awesome piloting I've seen too. :pow:

BTW - Helicopters don't actually "fly", they just vibrate so much the ground repels them. ;) ;D

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
turboLT said:
:sign5:

Except I don't actually know if you're stupid - i just couldn't find a better pointing upward post. Which trauma unit are you referring to?

Trauma bird pilot is one of my dream jobs. Too bad it ties you down so much / is so hard to get. You get to fly decent to stupid fast birds anywhere the hell you please in and out of cities. You get to land in the most absurd places, you never have to take 8 hour trips, and no one is shooting at you. Finally - and here's the best part - you can go home to your family at the end of your shift.

Oh, and you're saving lives and not killing anything! You have the military sense of urgency w/o the destruction. (I don't have a problem with killing on a moral ground for war, but lets be honest, the concept isn't exactly a cool one and not something you can go home at the end of the day and tell your kids about.)
I'm talking about MediHeli units operating in southern Finland. www.mediheli.fi (in finnish)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.