Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any locals interested, buddy and I are going to do a two-day one-night ride through BC on Sept 10 - 11. We are leaving Nanaimo and starting heading towards Duffy Lake once we land off the ferry. Happy to meet any Vancouver-ites and continue onwards. Will be a moderate to quick pace and the night will be in a hotel, not camping.

Safe riding everyone.

·
Registered
429 Posts
tempting....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have shared this link before but for anyone who doesn't want to join this time (or ever) and has plans to ride BC at any point keep this link. The maps section has basically all the best roads we have to offer, including a video clip of each one via a bike w/ GoPro. Just click the "DH #" part next to the map of the route.

IslandRAT - Maps

And of course the Island routes are great too. Did Whiskey Creek to Tofino with a group of 5 last weekend, amazing road.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finalized Route more or less. Lots of roads we cannot make happen but we will do a longer tour next summer. Won't be posting anything else about this unless there is interest. Will of course include some photos after the fact.

Day One:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Nana...1!1s0x537d8cb6e3c730b3:0x4ef8e53ddab4c4f7!3e0

Day Two: (We are taking the 33 east/south out of Kelowna and down to Kettle Valley, it currently shows unable to on google maps due to forest fire cleanup and demonstrates a backtrack that won't actually happen)
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Kelowna,+BC/Kettle+Valley,+BC/Coalmont,+BC/Nanaimo,+BC/@49.4467334,-21.4497012,8z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m2!1m1!1s0x537d8cb6e3c730b3:0x4ef8e53ddab4c4f7!1m2!1m1!1s0x5482ae7c59972aef:0x494521d7cedc9dbe!1m2!1m1!1s0x5483b7c826ed9025:0xa55d8e09e16ac5ea!1m2!1m1!1s0x5488a15e20ac1c5b:0x50135152a7b0fd0!3e0

·
Registered
429 Posts
I rode the Crowsnest Hwy (3) from Hope all the way to Castlegar, then 3A North to Balfour, across the ferry, and back South to Creston 2 months ago. The best stretch IMHO was the last one; 3A from Kootenay Bay South to Creston along the East shore of Kootenay Lake.

I look forward to your comparison of the roads you ride to 3 and 3A!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That road you took is one of the routes we weren't going far enough to reach but wished we were. The route we have planned is a tried/tested/true route with a lot of good roads but just far enough for two "full" days. With that said, a lot of the roads are very similar to the 3A, twisty strip of pavement next to some water in the Pacific Northwest (with hopefully very little bacon present). So, we KNOW the route is good, just a matter of weather holding out for us. (I lied, haven't been on the 33 out of Kelowna yet, awesome levels TBD)

Next year buddy and I will join you on your west coast ride. Should be fun.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got back from my ride last night. Was an excellent trip and everything worked out timing-wise. We actually ended up making the ferry back to the island yesterday by like 30 seconds, quite grateful for that. Lots of laughs and we ended up doing a modified route. Did the 99 to cache creek, down to Spencer's bridge, over to Merritt, up the 5a to Kamloops, down through barnhartvale and stayed the night in pillar lake just north of falkland. Reversed route back to avoid Vancouver and maximize awesome road time. Most of those roads are destination highways. We did however find one road not marked on that chart that was EXCELLENT. As good as some of the best roads I've ridden, it's called chase-falkland road between (you guessed it) chase and falkland. I highly recommend making it happen if anyone is riding through that area. Only hiccup was buddy on his Ducati starting showing tire threads after first day so day two start was in Kamloops getting new rubber installed. He felt a lot better doing the high speed 5A (avg'd probably 160km/hr) with tires that had actual rubber on them. The only heart pounding moment for me was coming through the mountains on a Long drop away switchback that was about 270 degrees of sharp turn. I was leaned over far enough to use the toe sliders on my boots which for me, has never happened before and honestly startled me. Likely could have gone lower even but I try not to push too far from the comfort zone. The lack of any unused tire when I stopped to look reminded me to take it a bit easier. I could never realize why those sliders are even on boots, well I found out lol. The food in falkland was UNREAL. Little place opened up about 4 months ago making homemade peirogies, cabbage rolls, schnitzel, and sausage. I very much suggest eating there if you ever pass through the shuswap area. What else is there to say..... No speeding tickets .... No rain .... And some members should join us next year, didn't see another speed triple the entire two days which makes me a sad panda. Pictures to follow here, only a couple.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Classic Duffy Lake Photo.
IMG_0639.JPG

@ Rugged Bean Cafe in Lillooet
IMG_0641.JPG

The Cabin at Pillar Lake.
IMG_0650.JPG

A Panoramic of the small lake. Is stocked with Rainbow Trout. Was so calm and nice in the morning, I really wished i could have stayed to throw in a line for a while.
IMG_0655.JPG

Lake on the 5A from Kamloops.
IMG_0665.JPG

The old closed bridge in Lillooet. We picked up a guy on his CBR 1000 who wanted to ride with us. Guy was a nut job and we let him move along within about 5 minutes of leaving Lillooet.
IMG_0667.JPG

Sunset on Ferry on way home.
IMG_0671.JPG

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
You should be happy you didn't see a triple. Individuality is a good thing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's stupid ride. I wasn't even there so it must have sucked.

I wear my jealousy well, thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts