Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
30,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just down looking at the BT 016's that come factory on the Street. I've got just over 6000 miles on the thing and it's time for some new rubber.

Both are wearing nicely (except for chicken strips.) The rear is pretty square in the middle, which isn't surprising because I do a lot of highway miles. Funny thing is, on every other bike I've ever owned I'd go through pretty much two rears for a single front. This time, the front is nearly as worn as the rear.

Anybody else running BT 016's and notice this?

I haven't made a decision on tires yet. Probably stay with the Bridgestones, but might move to a Pilot Road or a BT 023.

· Registered
11,446 Posts
With your weight and possibly a different weight distribution on this bike, it may be that you are pushing the front harder, thereby evening out the wear rates. Its more likely to be the bike rather than the tyres.

· Registered
7,700 Posts
PR3s cost a bit more than BT016, but they'll last you a while. I'll bet you get 10k out of them.

· Registered
11,446 Posts
PR3s cost a bit more than BT016, but they'll last you a while. I'll bet you get 10k out of them.
:sign5: The BT 023's will give you good mileage too. Most of us used them on the trip leading up to the RMR. I did about 7000 miles on them and still looked like they had at least another 3k miles on them. Dano had shagged his rear entirely but the rest of us still had a lot of miles left.

· Registered
30,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but Dano's a slut. :drink: I am seriously considering the BT 023's as an alternative since the majority of my riding is pretty sedate.

You're probably right about it being the bike, but I was just curious if others had noticed this with the BT 016's.

· Registered
7,700 Posts
How did the 023 handle in the heavy rain, Leggy? I know the PR3 gave me nothing but confidence in a nasty downpour, in which there was a lot of standing water.

· Registered
11,446 Posts
How did the 023 handle in the heavy rain, Leggy? I know the PR3 gave me nothing but confidence in a nasty downpour, in which there was a lot of standing water.
We were all very happy with the 023 in the wet. We didn't have a lot of wet weather over the whole 4 weeks, but when we did the consensus was that they handled it very well.

I have the PR3's on Speedy at the moment and I reckon they are the best wet weather tyres I have ever used.

· Registered
24 Posts
I have just put a set of Metezler Z8's on my S3 and after only 80 or 90 miles I've got them leaned over to the elephant marks
might alos be worth looking at as they are also meant to be brilliant in the wet.

BT023's are also a great tyre as I have them on my 09 Blade and have had no issues with them

· Registered
30,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm. Corroboration.

· Registered
3,788 Posts
I'm actually shopping tires right now for both bikes (Speedy & KTM).

Right now I have PR2's on the S3. They have just over 6k miles on them and have some tread left. But they feel real greasy, especially on hot days.

The KTM still has the BT023's (GT version) that we put on at Dano's for the RMR. They have 7,200 miles on them and the rear is on the wear bars with a nice big West Texas Chicken Strip. :finger:
note: nothing special about the GT version, I just hit the wrong button when I ordered them. They are made for heavier bikes and have a heavier sidewall. Tread compound is the same.

For the KTM I am going with the BT023's again. Even with the huge chicken strip on the rear, I still feel very confident with them.

Still undecided on the S3. Trying to decide between the 016's and the 023's. In Central Texas we really don't have the roads that require sticky tires. What people here call 'twisty' is really a sweeper. Maybe. And given that I commute to work on it about half the time, I might go with the longer lasting 023.

On a side note... I just picked up the Cycle Hill / NoMar tire changer last week. Should pay for itself fairly quick considering both my bikes need tires along with 3 others that I ride with regularly.

· Registered
30,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice article, Buster. Lots of good information and very pertinent to the Street.

But good lord, that Microsoft translator sucks the great big donkey ****. Its translation from German was incomprehensible. (Google Translate worked a whole lot better.)

· Registered
3,439 Posts
Google translator works better. Ended up ordering Metzeler Roadtec Z8's based on the article (my Michelin Pures are squared off and on the wear bars) $40 difference between Z-8 and the BT-23. If I get 10k miles out of this pair (highly likely) the price difference should be worth it in wet and general road handling improvement.

· Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone S20's yet?
They are meant to be the dogs bollocks, mind you at what they are charging for them in the UK they would bloody well want to be.
Also the only reason I haven't gone for the BT023's on my S3 is that they only do the 190/55/17 in the heavier GT version which is a bit pointless on this bike.

· Registered
590 Posts
I am running the Metzeler K3, OEM tire, 2011 Speedy.

Is anyone lese sticking with this tire or if not, why not?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.