Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I just learned that one of my Sgt's close friends makes stuff out of carbon fiber. Supposedly the guy helped to create the Hans device in carbon fiber and also made the wheels for Lance Armstrongs bicycle. I'm told he used to race motorcycles as well. He might be down for making these parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if u want it for cosmetic purposes alone, you can simply send it out and get it laminated in CF/kevlar. price varies greatly depending on where you go. i send a lot of the trim peices on my car to a factory in indonesia who does a pretty good job for a decent price. or if u really like to do things on your own, simply buy a small sheet of CF/kevla, stretch it, then epoxy/clear coat it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Kuhlka,
Have you seen the Ricer cars today. Light and fast is only an interest for about 1% of them. The rest want "the look" and "the sound".

I am so tired of the carbon look today. I even make parts in carbon, but covered in gelcoat so you can't see it, but they are still light and stiff.

Carbon is only really good in stiffness. It sure isn't strong.

G

·
I have a friend who used to make race glass for bikes. He used a layer of carbon fibre with a layer of fibreglass behind it. Apparently the carbon tends to rip along the weave and the random fibres in the fibreglass help prevent it. Supposedly some of the lightest fairings out there so he must have been doing something right.

Phil

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This is a part of a medical operating table that we make, it's 100% pre-preg carbon cured at very high temp and high pressure. IT is very very very strong!!!!! No delamination!!! No gel coat!!!! No BS!!!!! It's the real deal...........

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Not many at 45, that’s for a surface finish only!!! All the strength is longitudinal; it is high strength structural carbon with load direction all one way. Also made for high impact resistance with Rockwell a type hardness test cert spec. This is the high end of carbon spec, F1 and Aerospace structural stress parts are made from this type of carbon. It takes TONS of pressure to break under load tests.

1050 update…………. Errrr…Hmmmm…Errrr….. Well…Hmmm…..

The end is near; I’ll have it finished soon with only a few limited parts to be made from the moulds they will be very exclusive to the owners. Most of the kits have been pre ordered including yours Dev!!!

The tank mould is done and so are a few other bits, no time to make any parts yet though, I cure the structural parts at high temp and very high pressure, these parts are filling up my time and my Autoclave at the moment.

It would kill my epoxy moulds that I make my bike parts from, if I was to put them in the Autoclave at the same time as my other parts, they would be toast!!! They are only good for 140 degC max.

I know this much though!!!! You will see them first on this site…………

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.