Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel like a chump droppin $80 AUD for 4L of oil and a filter everytime...

is there anywhere to get cheaper oil ??????????????????

:violent1:
mongo

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
If you are using the Mobile 1 4T, Check with your local auto parts store, and have them order the oil for you - much cheaper. And use the Purolator Pure One filter.

You could also switch to a better oil for around the same price:
AliSyn ProDrive 21, Type 3 ( from Aerospace Lubricants, Inc.)
Amsoil has a couple of very good oils
Motul makes good oils - just expensive from some sources.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Cheap?

???

Why would you want Cheap oil?

First buy him beer.

He can then be put in a juice press, and viola Cheap oil!

Nasty shit though... :fingure:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am getting ready for an oil change myself you can have my old oil if you like it has less than 2k on it still can see through. It is yours if you like .come and get it :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:... Oh Cheap love the pics of the youth :squid:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Shell Rotella T full synthetic - about $18US for the gallon container. In this country, semi-syn is the white jug, full-syn is blue ;D

Look in the superthread for filter choices - you can get a fairly common filter for japanese car applications that fits the Triumph at any auto parts store - too many numbers to re-list here

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
If you are willing to change your oil frequently (1500 miles in the link Pope supplied), the just about any brand 15w-50 or 15w-40 oil will work.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I ran my bandit 1200 for several years with Mobil Delvac MX 15w-40 without any problems. Very popular oil on bikes here. 20 liters about 50 euros.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not that i was asking for shitty oil.

but a location to buy good oil - motul5100 10-40 - at a lower price.

:finger:

thanks to fellas who supplied links ;)

mongo

·
Registered
508 Posts
IMHO, Shell Rotella T (dyno) is an excellent oil that also happens to be inexpensive.

From my reading on the subject, the difference between dyno and synthetic is a lot narrower than it used to be, primarily due to a lowering of industry standards via a change in the definition of what constitutes synthetic. At the same time, improvements in oil additives make the better dyno brands (such as Rotella) nearly the equal of current synthetics in all ways except one: shear/viscocity degradation. So, if you change Rotella T more often, you don't give up anything meaningful. I run it in every motor I own and lose no sleep over it.

But, to each his own. ;)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
You are right Devi....we are being stitched up big time.

4 litres of Mobil 4T Racing costs me about $61 AUD ($50.70 USD)

I don't know what we pay for the Motul 5100, I've never used it

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
legman said:
You are right Devi....we are being stitched up big time.

4 litres of Mobil 4T Racing costs me about $61 AUD ($50.70 USD)

I don't know what we pay for the Motul 5100, I've never used it
For that kind of money, I would definitely be ordering better oil from the US.

[Hint, hint - http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet.com/item/market-automotive/prodrive-21/pn8001?&plpver=10&origin=advsrch&by=prod&filter=0 I buy 4 gallons in a case and don't pay shipping in the US. Shipping overseas may be rather expensive, but if you can get it at around the same price as Mobile 1, you will be much happier.]

Good stuff - www.aerospacelubricants.com

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
devi i just ordered some of this prodrive21 type 3 oil. i hope this stuff is good! :violent1:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
briank said:
devi i just ordered some of this prodrive21 type 3 oil. i hope this stuff is good! :violent1:
HiVel likes it. ;) http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php?topic=290.msg2757#msg2757

Feel free to share your results on here. If you don't immediately notice better shifting and coast down, I will be shocked. Better mileage is possible as well.
I would also recommend calling ALI and talking with them about WHO they sell to, and WHY.

I kind of fell into testing this stuff back when I was racing boats. I started with their two-stroke oil and then tested the gear and four-stroke oils. I have yet to test anything close for power and wear (from reduced friction). AND it doesn't break down quickly like many other oil packages do.

Test Royal Purple sometime, before and after 1000 miles.   :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

·
Registered
729 Posts
mongo said:
its not that i was asking for shitty oil.

but a location to buy good oil - motul5100 10-40 - at a lower price.

:finger:

thanks to fellas who supplied links ;)

mongo
The heavy duty oils like Rotella and Delvac are far from shitty. Actually they are very good and made for expensive engines with heavy load and severe use. ratings for transmission and wet clutch. The low price comes from buying larger quantities.

1L bottle=expensive
4L= so and so
20L can= cheap
200L drum= dirt cheap per liter

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
briank said:
BK, I would love to know what you think. I just dropped $53 on the dealer stuff 15W-50 and MX4T 10W-40 is $8.19 at Auto Zone. I might have to give this stuff a try.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hey Mongo, I think I paid around $50 for Motul 5100 at the place on the mad mile down Ipswich road.

Devi, I'd love to try some of that oil but I fear that shipping and then exhorbident taxes would raise the price.

Now if we could group buy a pallet of oil and some of that jungle juice fuel additive we might be talking. :drink:

AA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts