Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
So, I went to make the switch between the two hoses, but before I did I noticed that the bottom of the hose just under the disk valve itself was completely crimped shut. It was caught above a larger hose. I straightened the hose out, rode about 20 miles, opened the gas tank, and *presto*- suction is gone! Go figure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
here's what I noticed about my '07:
Front brake line will not stay in it's clips to the front fender. No big deal though because it doesn't rub the paint or anything, but it did bother me at first.

Clutch cable goes through a guide on the case cover on the right side of the engine. On my bike, the cable wasn't going through the center of the guide and therefore the bare cable was rubbing on the guide. I wrapped it with a rag and then bent it with a vicegrips and now it's fine - travels freely.

I had suction in my tank too. Mechanic told me that the check valve is designed to keep fuel from spilling on the ground in the event the bike goes down on it's side. ... Not sure if that suction caused the following problem....
I had my bike die on me (2,500 miles) - engine light came on. It would let me ride a few miles at a time and then die like someone shut off my ignition switch. The dealer said it was a P1685 code - Main Relay Circuit Malfunction. It wasn't even in their book. It's a Triumph Tiger code. Anyway, they replaced the Main Relay and so far it is ok.
Now I have a noise coming from the rear wheel. Sounds like a dry squeaking type of sound. I keep my chain lubed religiously. Possibly a bad bearing?? No idea, but I've had more problems with a 3 month old brand new bike than I've had with 4 of my used Hondas over the past 15 years! Quite Lame. If I didn't love this bike so much I would've brought the damn thing back by now.

Oh yeah, breathe on the paint and it scratches. Be careful.

No helmet lock but I rigged one under the seat. Works rather nicely.

Oh yeah, it misses between 4th and 5th gear once in awhile and is sometimes hard going into 6th. sheesh.

G

·
mrlee383,
I had/have this same sound coming from the rear wheel. Try holding the rear caliper and moving it around a little while you or someone else rotates the wheel. I think you'll find its the pads on the disc that make the noise. If the sound doesn't change when you do this then remove the caliper and rotate it again. Any noise after this test and you probably should check the wheel bearings.

G

·
Sometimes I procrastinate so much I piss myself off, thanks for the (sucky) info, I've learned to live with prying the gas cap open and the low rpm stumbling the dealer said was ok, 2 years ago hence the procrastinating comment since I just joined this forum this week, fixed lines fixed problem. Thanks a million. :pow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
leedsharlequin said:
Sometimes I procrastinate so much I piss myself off, thanks for the (sucky) info, I've learned to live with prying the gas cap open and the low rpm stumbling the dealer said was ok, 2 years ago hence the procrastinating comment since I just joined this forum this week, fixed lines fixed problem. Thanks a million. :pow:
Procastinating is your problem...Hah don't feel so bad I am just a plain old dumb ass. I just bought my New S3 07 a few weeks ago and the first time I took my bike to the gas station I had the same suction problem, but I thought to myself "wow now that is a really tight seal those triumph people really build quality shit." ;D Then I joined this site and now I feel really silly. ??? Ill be switching mine tomorrow. Hope I don't set the garage on fire...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I kicked the horse, and it's still alive!

My 2006 Speedy is equipped with California emission plumbing. When I switched the vent and emissions hoses under the tank, on an almost empty gas tank, not only did the fuel pump suck like a Bangkok ho, but the oil light and engine light both came on when I turned on the ignition key, and the starter wouldn't engage. Dead as the horse should be by now.

Anyway, switching the two hoses made it all right again. So, at least on my California Emissions equipped bike it's critical that the cannister check valve hose goes on the outer left side nipple and the vent hose on the inside.

By the way, I believe it's the mechanics at the dealerships who are switching the hoses and not the factory assembly line people. I saw my bike getting set up in the shop before taking delivery and the tank was removed for some reason. They got it right when the tank went back on.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
APtech77 said:
Don't worry. It will come. Mine worked fine until I hit 7K. Now somethings wrong!!! :wtf: :finger:
Kinda like my prick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
APtech77 said:
Don't worry. It will come. Mine worked fine until I hit 7K. Now somethings wrong!!! :wtf: :finger:
I was really interested in the Speed and Street Triple but after checking the forums a bit, I have big doupts now...no bike is perfect...but reliability and quality service is a good thing... :wtf:

G

·
Speedo007 said:
APtech77 said:
I was really interested in the Speed and Street Triple but after checking the forums a bit, I have big doupts now...no bike is perfect...but reliability and quality service is a good thing... :wtf:
My '01 has 20,000 trouble-free miles......course it wasn't built by Indonesian toddlers like these fancy-pants new ones. :beer:

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you think S3s have problems, just check out the BMW forums. Those Bavarian Behemoths have just as many, perhaps more problems than Triumph, in spite of all the crap about German quality. For example, the BWM R1200GS bikes had a rash of rear wheel bearing failures that left the wheel attached to the bike by the brake caliper only. KTM twins also have lots of problems, like water pump failures.
Same with those wonderful CBR1000 Hondas. Lots of problems there as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive been hesitating between the Street and the Speed so I placed a deposit on both bikes (2009 ordered) so I can at least get to sit on them and see which one feels better for my 6'1" configuration. (The dealer will then transfer the deposit from one bike to the other when I make my choice). So far, with all I've read on different forums and reviews, the Street appears to be a bit more reliable. I only found a recall on the rear suspension (that is already addressed on the 2009 models) and it wasn't a critical recall, just something that affected the performance of the suspension.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts