The Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike last February and since the it's done a total of 359 miles and probably hasn't been used since about September

. It had its M.O.T. ON Monday 27th January and flew through but I notice when trying to push it out the garage I could hardly move it but by the time I got to the bike shop it was fine and the last two nights I've gone out tried to move it and it's ok then I push the rear break lever and I can hardly move it. But on both occasions by the time I got to the end of the road it's free. I ride for a bit and only use the back break,( do that anyway in the winter barely touch the front),and I'm constantly using it but it's fine nothing wrong at all. I'm suspecting if there was a problem it would not free and as it's not been used it's just a bit stiff to start with. I think I just need to take it out a couple of times a week( not in the rain cos of salt).

Any thoughts anybody thanks cheers Mal

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Why did you post the exact same thing 3 times?

You should be using the front brake (it's not a break, bones break). If the back is sticking you need to look at the linkage and or the master and slave cylinders.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Also, you should never be touching your "back break" most of the time. 90% of your braking force comes from your front brake, and using the back brake is the cause of many a crash. Don't ask me how I know. (Known as a "High side" within the community.)

Using only the back brake is old-skool Harley Davidson mindset, and people who come from bicycles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You should be using the front brake (it's not a break, bones break). If the back is sticking you need to look at the linkage and or the master and slave cylinders.
I post the same thing three times as I could not edit the fact I put back breath initially sticking in the title

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also it was the spell check that put breake instead of brake I have stopped the calliper and none of that is sticking so I'm going to replace the master cylinder thank you for you reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, you should never be touching your "back break" most of the time. 90% of your braking force comes from your front brake, and using the back brake is the cause of many a crash. Don't ask me how I know. (Known as a "High side" within the community.)

Using only the back brake is old-skool Harley Davidson mindset, and people who come from bicycles.
I'm very well aware 90% or so comes from the front nothing pulled you up like your front brake it's in readable powerful and if someone has pulled out me that I couldn't avoid it's the one that's saved me so it's bloody powerful. But when you commute all through the winter in ice and snow you soon learn the front wheel slips very easily if you use it on a patch of ice then you over. If the back locks in ice you just drag it and don't come of. I've been riding for 44years and have never had or caused an accident and am always aware if one is imminent. I have nearly had and avoided many near death accidents travelling at 70 odd mph and also in town pleanty of cars have pulled out on me but I've always managed to get round the back of them by watching every side road as I ride. So I'm not changing my riding style as I'm still here also I'm an instructor for the Advanced Motorcyle Club Wirral so I think I know my stuff thank you for your comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts