Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's a Spoonerism and not quite true.

My Speedy has been sitting for about 3 weeks without a run and it has been cold [for here] down to 5d C overnight.

Anyway, I go to start her up and I get lights, fuel pump etc as usual but when I hit the start button, nothing. ???
[No, the kill switch is ON]

I pull out a multimeter and check the battery and I get 12.6v.

Scratch head, scratch balls, ponder.... ???

Then I remember a show with science geek/freak Dr Carl here in Oz where they postulated the theory[actually a bloke just guessed] that if you have a weak battery that wont start your car/bike then blow your horn while hitting the starter.

The theory is that the high current of the horn will "weld" a better contact across the connections and get you enough current to start.

Well, to cut a long story short, it Fn worked. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not once but 4 times. Start, ride 15 minutes to shop. Start, ride 15 minutes to work. 8 hours later, start, ride 15 minutes to fuel station. Start, ride 15 minutes home.

I had to use this technique each time.

When I got home I checked the voltage again 12.8v.

Today I charged the battery for 1.25 hrs @ 4 amps.
Recommended is 1hr @ 5 amps or 10 hrs @ 0.4 amps.

This brought the voltage up to 13.6v but the bike still won't start as usual.

I have a vague memory of someone having a problem with their starter switch but I can't remember details or find it with the search function. It may have been over on the "other" site.

Any ideas before I check the entire starting circuit?
It's not showing any fault lights so I haven't hooked up the TB for codes.

Also, any ideas on the "horn start".

Thanks in advance.

AA

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It seems redundant, but check both ends of the ground. Check the leads to the starter, and make sure it is all tight.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LF both battery terminals tight.

SIK that's where I'll start this afternoon then the starter switch and clutch cut out.

Then the fuses and the headlight cut out relay.

The horn trick also worked on an old Toyoto ute I used to own.

AA

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, for those who are interested.

One squirt of WD40 on the starter motor connection and she starts first time. :eboy:

She had been cranking over a few times before firing but now, after a clean and retighten she fires up virtually right away.

Also cleaned the earth connection to the motor. The rubber cover on that is a very poor fit.

AA

G

·
Glad you got it sorted. There's not much Dr Karl doesn't know. He once said if you do a burnout hard enough in a XY GTHO the left blinker will come on itself. Would love to try it out. : ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.