Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock Yausa YTX12-BS finally gave up the ghost (2 years old), so I started searching locally for batteries. I wanted a sealed dry-cell absorbed 'glass mat (agm) battery for the ease of maintainance.

I considered an Odyssey PC525 (I use the larger units in my boats and cars), but they are rather expensive. I located another Yausa online for $57 (plus shipping) at www.tireexpress.com. I found the Batteries Plus had an Extreme AGM with 180 cold cranking amps (CCA) for $55, and a local bike shop had a Deka AGM with 180 CCA for $85 that is said to be even more durable than the Yausa - so this is what I purchased. Likely hogwash, but I have never used the Deka, but I have heard good things about them. It has both top and side terminals, and seems to work fine.

Now I just need to connect the trickle charger cable/plug to the battery terminals - I was in a hurry to go riding, and left it off.

I noticed that CheapBastard's stock battery was different than mine. It was a Chinese made battery. So it seems some dealers do not install the same battery as others. But the one in CB's bike seems to work well. :)

I also noticed that the battery strap was close to failing. So this morning, I found that the strap used to tie down the jack in my truck was exactly the same length and used the same tie down rings, but has a bit thicker rubber. I will check the price for one at the Ford dealer.

What batteries and prices have you all found for your S3?

G

·
I put in a BikeMaster ($53.95 inc tax) batery yesterday. Seems to have cured that warm start prob I had. Time will tell tho.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
My factory Yuasa just went tits and I replaced it with an identical one from tireexpress.com just like Devi mentioned. My experience with Yuasa batteries has been excellent. This is the first one that I've had that lasted less than three years, and I've had two that lasted five years. I blame crashing and tougher starting conditions on the 1050 for this one's early demise.

I find it hard to change from a good thing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My 1998 Bandit 1200 had the exact same Yuasa as the S3. Seven years old when I traded the Bandit for The Triumph and the battery was still fine even with raised compression ratio.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My '97 Bandit 1200S still has it's original Yuasa at over 33,000 miles- but I hook it up to a Battery Tender overnight once a week- as I do to all my bikes. '99 ZRX1100 on original- over 26,000 miles. '02 FZ-1 on OE at 15,000 miles. Did replace the Yuasa in my '94 CB1000 @ 40,000 and 11 years of service. Upgraded to 14 amp hour Yuasa in my '98 VTR1000f back in late '05- really spins with authority now.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I planned on ordering the Westco battery, but when mine went out unexpectedly I ran to sears and picked up a diehard. I don't know the exact numbers but it starts quicker and seems stronger, we'll see about the durability.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Devious said:
My stock Yausa YTX12-BS finally gave up the ghost (2 years old)
crashmasterd said:
My factory Yuasa just went tits
Seems like ~2 years is what the Yuasa can manage on a 1050. Mine has been very weak starter for a while and I have had to charge the battery a few times within a month to even get the bike started.

I would not mind a bit higher grade/power replacement. As I have no electrical outlet at the common garage it is a pain to haul battery back & forth for charging. It is even more of a pain when I am fully kitted to go out for a ride and all I get is one weak attempt at a start and after that the starter won't spin at all.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
has anyone installed smaller battery to 1050? battery like 10Amp/hour is a lot lighter then 12amp/h battery. I think the weight difference is 1.5kilos.

Fireblade 954rr has nice and small battery, I think it should be enough for the triple too. three cylinder bike of course has higher compression and may take more start current, but even TL suzuki's can manage with smaller battery, so I quess it would be fine with 10Amp/h battery.

JT

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You might be able to relocate it lower too. I've been thinking about pulling off the charcoal cannister (How did I get one of those anyway, I'm not in the land of fruits & nuts?) and seeing if I could fab a battery box there. It would be easier I'm sure with a slightly smaller battery.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
KTM superduke has nice batterysetup. battery is located at the front of the engine inside the bellypan(front spoiler).

JakeT.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah, it's a nice design. I doubt you could do that with speedy though. But I'm sure you could find a place a somewhere bit lower. Any ideas? I don't have my bike handy so I can't check it out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Jaket said:
has anyone installed smaller battery to 1050? battery like 10Amp/hour is a lot lighter then 12amp/h battery. I think the weight difference is 1.5kilos.

Fireblade 954rr has nice and small battery, I think it should be enough for the triple too. three cylinder bike of course has higher compression and may take more start current, but even TL suzuki's can manage with smaller battery, so I quess it would be fine with 10Amp/h battery.

JT
YTX 12 BS is 10Ah.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
damn, i quess the blade's battery is 8Ah then.

Usual place for battery is under drivers seat, there would be space for it if the undertail would be modified. but I think triumph wanted the see through look under the seat. Also the left side exhaust can tube is going there so it's only possible for those that using single sided exhaust.

another good point would be that if the battery would be there, the space under the seat would be pretty good and you could keep waterproofs in there or something. I also kept watersuit under my 954rr rear seat, there was good space, enough for waterproofs and water bottle.

JT

·
Registered
57 Posts
Martin_R said:
Devious said:
My stock Yausa YTX12-BS finally gave up the ghost (2 years old)
crashmasterd said:
My factory Yuasa just went tits
Seems like ~2 years is what the Yuasa can manage on a 1050. Mine has been very weak starter for a while and I have had to charge the battery a few times within a month to even get the bike started.

I would not mind a bit higher grade/power replacement. As I have no electrical outlet at the common garage it is a pain to haul battery back & forth for charging. It is even more of a pain when I am fully kitted to go out for a ride and all I get is one weak attempt at a start and after that the starter won't spin at all.
same problem with my Yuasa , so i am going to try a Dynovolt gel type with 11ah
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150174642966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
Just letting you know I'm not too impressed with the dynavolt , seems weaker on start up especially in the cold .

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
OK. So my battery gave up today. I'm recharging it as we speak, but doubt it can be healed.

So I might need to get a new battery tomorrow. Has anyone tried the 8Ah option?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm not sure I want to. I'm considering it though.

But now that I'm checking out the outer dimensions of the batteries (Biltema) the 9Ah and 8Ah versions aren't really much smaller... Can they be that much lighter either then?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Btw.. Can the bike run if the battery is dead? I mean if I get it started, but then the battery goes dead again while riding?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.