Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was happin guys. I have a great deal lined up for an 05 Speed Triple, but it would be my first Bike. I have ridden dirt bikes a bit and own a quad, not saying they are close to the same but the clutch and throttle shouldn't be a problem. Am I committing suicide by choosing this bad ass bike as my first. I certainly plan on taking my time getting to know her and getting comfortable, riding while slowly working up in skill level. What do ya think? Thanks

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
BitchinBOB said:
Am I committing suicide by choosing this bad ass bike as my first?
:slap:

Probably. Great way to go though, huh?

:repost:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
BitchinBOB said:
Was happin guys. I have a great deal lined up for an 05 Speed Triple, but it would be my first Bike. I have ridden dirt bikes a bit and own a quad, not saying they are close to the same but the clutch and throttle shouldn't be a problem. Am I committing suicide by choosing this bad ass bike as my first. I certainly plan on taking my time getting to know her and getting comfortable, riding while slowly working up in skill level. What do ya think? Thanks
I just bought a 2007 S3 as my first bike. Just do it. However, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course for starters and be super conservative and cautious. Wear a helment and a leather jacket ALWAYS and just be smart.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodrigues.manny/TripleThreat2007TriumphSpeedTriple

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I love mine, but it's just not the best choice for a first bike. Sure, it'll do, especially if you take it easy with the throttle. But learning to ride on the street involves more than getting the hang of the horsepower. It's just plain easier to learn the dynamics on a lighter bike, and unless your ego just can't handle having something smaller, or someone's offering you such a screaming deal that you're nearly stealing the Speed Triple, there are better things out there for a first bike, and you don't have to be stuck on a little Rebel that you'll get tired of in three months.

Like what?

500 or the new 650 Ninja twin. SV650. The smaller Bandit or even a Katana.

One more reason? You are going to drop it. At least in a parking lot. It happens. Everyone does. No biggie. But buying something perfect and new just doesn't make sense. Your first bike should be one that you're comfortable getting some dings and scrapes on.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I agree with R100, too, I just wish that didn't mean I think like cheap!

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
R100Pilot said:
I love mine, but it's just not the best choice for a first bike. Sure, it'll do, especially if you take it easy with the throttle. But learning to ride on the street involves more than getting the hang of the horsepower. It's just plain easier to learn the dynamics on a lighter bike, and unless your ego just can't handle having something smaller, or someone's offering you such a screaming deal that you're nearly stealing the Speed Triple, there are better things out there for a first bike, and you don't have to be stuck on a little Rebel that you'll get tired of in three months.

Like what?

500 or the new 650 Ninja twin. SV650. The smaller Bandit or even a Katana.

One more reason? You are going to drop it. At least in a parking lot. It happens. Everyone does. No biggie. But buying something perfect and new just doesn't make sense. Your first bike should be one that you're comfortable getting some dings and scrapes on.
Yep - looks like we're all a bunch of sheep. +1 here too. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I say you get the S3 for starters like I did. I am just being different than the rest of the sheep out there! :twofinger:

·
Registered
32,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree with Cheap.

Jeez - now I feel like I need a shower.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As a contrary opinion, I can see how the s3 might actually be good as a first street bike.

The torque starts down low and is easily accessible, making for a bike that is easy to ride. The suspension and brakes are above average, compensating for a noobs mistakes..

I wouldn't recomend it, but it's probably an easier to learn on bike than your average Jap sportbike.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
no way is a 130 hp, 1000cc, 400lb bike a good first bike. But, its my first after a VERY Long hiatus so I feel like a semi hypocrite. I started out on a 500 shadow way back in 87.... Moved to an 800 BMW. NEVR owned a crotch rocket. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.