Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people in here have SV650s for their women. My woman is 5'1" (on a good day) and her feet can only reach the ground on a suzuki 250 and Buell Blast. Those bikes being in stock form. Obviously a bike can be fitted for a shorter rider but what else would be a decent alternative for a first bike (we were planning on saving for a scooter. I'm 20 and she is 24 so we dont have much money at the moment, and Blasts go for about 2k on Fleabay. Any ideas? By the way she has 0 riding experience (other than horses, or me ;D)

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
You might check out this thread:

http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php?topic=1530.0

My advice- avoid the Buell like the plague. There are other choices, you just have to look for them.

If you want a thumper (single) that vibrates a lot and has a low seat height like a Buell, go find a 650 Suzuki Savage. At least they have a very good mechanical record, and more horsepower. (And a lower seat height.)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Get her something reliable, comfortable, and light. Preferably something that is not high revving.

The link Crash provided is a good one.

G

·
S32K,

Okay, obviously, the thread everyone sent you to was started by yours truly. So here's how it went down..... I'm a little over 5' 2" so I do have a bit of an advantage over your girl. The GS 500F vs. the SV 650.... A.K.A. The Saga of Cat Woman.......

GS 500F MSRP $5,199
SV 650 MSRP $5,999

GS Engine: 487cc, four-stroke, twin cylinder, air-cooled, DOHC
SV Engine: 645 cc, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 90° V-twin (VIBRATES QUITE NICELY ;D ), DOHC, 8-valves, TSCC--I DON'T THINK I NEED TO EXPLAIN.

GS Overall Length: 2080mm (81.9 in.)
SV Overall Length: 2080 mm (81.9 in.)

GS Overall Width: 800mm (31.5 in.)
SV Overall Width: 745 mm (29.3 in.) NOTICE HOW THE SV IS NARROWER BY OVER 2 INCHES. THIS COMES INTO PLAY FOR SHORT PEOPLE!

GS Overall Height: 1150mm (45.3 in.)
SV Overall Height: 1085 mm (42.7 in.) LOWER TO THE GROUND, CENTER OF GRAVITY ETC., ETC

GS Seat Height: 790mm (31.1 in.)
SV Seat Height: 800 mm (31.5 in.) LESS THAN 1/2 INCH TALLER

GS Ground Clearance: 120mm (4.7 in.)
SV Ground Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in.) HAVE MORE PLAY IF YOU NEED TO INSTALL LOWERING LINKS. THE SE CAN ONLY BE LOWERED SO FAR BEFORE YOU MESS WITH THE SWING ARMS.

GS Wheelbase: 1405mm (55.3 in.)
SV Wheelbase: 1440 mm (56.7 in.) LONGER WHEEL BASE

GS Dry Weight: 180kg (396.8 lbs.)
SV Dry Weight: 165 kg (363 lbs.) A 30+ POUND DRY WEIGHT DIFFERENCE AND A SMALLER TANK! BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERNCE ON YOUR ABILITY TO HOLD UP OR PICK UP A BIKE WHEN YOU'RE SMALL!

GS Fuel Tank Capacity: 20.0 liter (5.3 gal.) 19.0 liter (5.0 gal.) CA. Model
SV Fuel Tank Capacity: 17 liter (4.5 gal.) 16 liter (4.2 gal.) CA. model

So the winner was......

She wasn't lowered with links. The suspension was just softened 3 or 4 clicks. You can lower the bike by 2 plus inches with links, but the friend I bought her from didn't want to mess with her geometry and asked me to try her like this first. Note I can't flat foot, but my boots have absolutely no heal! (Frank Thomas boots). You're girl could try these.....Ikon Bombshell ladies boots--HOT!

Make sure she signs up for the MSF course if she's never riden on her own. I'd have her do this before she starts riding any bike her own. They usually provide bikes at the course (Buell Blasts are typical) so if she drops the bike during the class BFD. My suggestion would also be to be sure she gets frame sliders for whatever bike she rides. You can't get front fork sliders for the SV :p but I would suggest getting the swing arm spool sliders in addition. Then you could put the bike up on a stand (pitbull of course) and have her try going through the gears. Just BE CAREFUL as you get out of the lower gears! You don't want the bike coming off the stand! As for sliders I recommend motovation:

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=65 Goes right through the rear mount for the engine all the way through the bike.

I'd leave the exhaust etc. stock for awhile since this will take the most abuse when/if she drops it. NFG replacing a stock exhaust just to drop your bike on it.

GOOD LUCK AND FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS.

--LC

G

·
One other thing. If she waits until after she takes the MSF course, she might be able to get a better deal on insurance, especially as a rider w/no prior experience. How is she on you're bike? Is she afraid of leaning etc. Ironically, in my experience at least, most women drop their bikes when the bike isn't moving (backing up, pushing her into the garage etc.) especially at the end of a ride when they're fatigued. Might be because we're not adrenaline junkies like you boyz tend to be! So make sure she practices this as well! And--though it can get expensive--FULL LEATHERS! I don't have my pants on in this pic but note the Tecknic jacket. I'd just come back from ridin' her bitch w/Cata. Besides, the leathers looks hot.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
If you're really strapped for cash you might check into Hyosung bikes. Essentially they are copies of the SV650 (made by the factory that builds the Suzuki engine) with cheaper frames/bodies/etc.

Check out the GT650: Hyosung Street Bikes

At $4999 it's a steal. Word is they actually make slightly more HP than the SV650 too, but are also slightly heavier.

Caution: There are rumors of engine reliability problems. I don't understand why, because the same factory makes the SV650 engine. But you have been warned!

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Little Cat said:
Hey Crash!

That's my Smart, Honest, Little VP for ya!
Heh heh heh. Still sitting here in my bunker plotting world domination.

Chocolate for everyone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Little Cat,
A well written response to a well thought out, well researched purchase. I can't tell you how attractive that makes you...and I say that with the utmost respect.

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
crashmasterd said:
If you're really strapped for cash you might check into Hyosung bikes. Essentially they are copies of the SV650 (made by the factory that builds the Suzuki engine) with cheaper frames/bodies/etc.

Check out the GT650: Hyosung Street Bikes

At $4999 it's a steal. Word is they actually make slightly more HP than the SV650 too, but are also slightly heavier.

Caution: There are rumors of engine reliability problems. I don't understand why, because the same factory makes the SV650 engine. But you have been warned!
There are 2 guys on my local rider site who own the Hyo........ both have said the same thing..

would not buy again, that says a mouthful. they always talk about the "quality" meaning.... Hyo doesn't have any..

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Catahoulabulldog said:
There are 2 guys on my local rider site who own the Hyo........ both have said the same thing..

would not buy again, that says a mouthful. they always talk about the "quality" meaning.... Hyo doesn't have any..
Interesting. I've not rode one, but my Triumph dealership had a couple. Couldn't sell them to save their life (Hardly surprising. They sell Triumphs and Moto Guzzi, and people looking at those to brands just aren't interested in Asian knock-offs.) However when I looked at them closely I was surprised at how well they seemed put together. Of course that's no comparison to owning one.

Just thoughts.

G

·
Thanks TL. It's a big purchase. You don't want to go in blindly. I think it took me about 5 months to make the decision. Looked at all kinds of bikes along the way. Though the Buell Blast seems like an obvious choice for a new bike owner and little people--you'd grow out of it quickly.

Also think it's important to understand all your parts, how they work, differences between bikes etc. Start off slow. Machined wheels vs. cast, vs. spoked. and work your way back. Single swing arm vs. duel etc. Cata's helping me fill in the blanks with all this. Let's us spend quality time together as well. Bonus points!

A girl can look good on a bike, but a girl who knows what her parts are, what they're for, and how to replace them is even hotter!

--LC

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Little Cat said:
A girl can look good on a bike, but a girl who knows what her parts are, what they're for, and how to replace them is even hotter!

--LC
Smart women are sexy!
A smart woman rider... DAMN!

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
Devious2xs said:
Little Cat said:

--LC
Smart women are sexy!
A smart woman rider... DAMN!
I agree, shes a smart one, sometimes too smart for her own good. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts