Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, question! what position is best to leave your bike in while away for a day, week, month, year? What are the pros and cons for the kickstand, rigged straight up, on the back stand only, or front / back stand?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
IMO...if you are going to leave it for a while....stands front and rear to avoid flat spots on the tires

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will it hurt the bike to leave it on a stand for an extended period?

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I generally just lay it down on it's side. It spends so much time on it's side anyway that it feels natural. :violent1:

~Crash

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
KarmaPunk said:
Will it hurt the bike to leave it on a stand for an extended period?
nope....why would it??

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
When I'm not riding I always put it on the rear stand (I have two smallish kids that like to get into stuff ;) ) at least for security's sake. If it's more than a week I'll put the front tire on a piece of cardboard as well. This has always worked for me with all my bikes. Maybe one day I'll find a front stand that won't take up so much real estate in my garage.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
yea...those front stands really stick out don't...think someone would invented a new way to do that

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If it's gonna sit for a long time, its best to have both ends on stands. Keep the tires off of the floor to avoid flat spots. Don't store your bike on carpet either, carpet sucks the oils out of rubber. If you don't have stands, go out and roll it a little once a week or so to keep the tire from developing flat spots.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
KarmaPunk said:
Alright guys, question! what position is best to leave your bike in while away for a day, week, month, year? What are the pros and cons for the kickstand, rigged straight up, on the back stand only, or front / back stand?
where ya goin'?

IMO giving it to a riding buddy is best...fire her up ride her around the block...a sitting motorcycle is an atrocity! :horse:

·
Premium Member
6,770 Posts
to me.. it all depends on the length that it will sit.....a week or two wont hurt anything.....a month or so, i would be ok with it on its sidestand. as long as it gets moved/started every now and again, to keep the battery charged. for more than a few months....it should be on a stand/stands and take out the fuel or add stabilizer and remove the plugs and drop a few drops of oil into the cylinders and turn over the motor without the plugs installed.....to coat the piston chambers to prevent rust/acid oxidization. that would be my recommendation....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DirtMcGirt said:
where ya goin'?

IMO giving it to a riding buddy is best...fire her up ride her around the block...a sitting motorcycle is an atrocity! :horse:
HA! I was cleaning my brake pads and ran out of brake cleaner so I left it in my parents garage on the rear stand. I haven't been able to get back there to finish for 2 weeks and it got me to thinking about how long it could stay on the stand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.