Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 2008 Speed Triple wont start, can't figure whats doing it. Has to be a wire somewhere, hoping one of you can help me. Lets start with the fact I have been doing some very hard riding over the last couple days, no problems before that. Went down to Brown County, IN. 4hr ride down there. Then we went out for around 9 to 10 hours, went back to apt and rode home the next day, another 3hr back. The problem started around 6hrs into the ride on the second day. I turn the key on and it goes threw all the normal start up procedure. Whirling noise, couple beeps, and the dashboard stuff, but the headlights and the running light in the tail wont come on. I could wiggle the handlebar back and forth the lights came on and I could start it. If those lights are off I cant. It became a problem when we got ready to ride back to Ft. Wayne and it wouldnt start. We ended up push starting it, which worked, but the headlights and running light still were dead. Also might be important to note that I had to park outside and used the handlebar lock, and have never used it before. Sort of unreleated: How do you take the gas tank off. Thanks for the help! Going to go take a shower now.

· Registered
7,653 Posts
I don't know if it has been a problem on the '08's but some earlier models (like my own '07) experienced an issue with the wire clip on the frame near the front of the tank shorting out the wires underneath. I would check there first to see if some insulation has been worn off a wire or two. This has been known to cause numerous electrical gremlins.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teemstah said:
I don't know if it has been a problem on the '08's but some earlier models (like my own '07) experienced an issue with the wire clip on the frame near the front of the tank shorting out the wires underneath. I would check there first to see if some insulation has been worn off a wire or two. This has been known to cause numerous electrical gremlins.
I'll check it out.

· Registered
7,700 Posts
BillG said:
Won't try to diagnose the problem. There are a lot of smart asses around here that will beat you into the ground when you ask a question.
:eboy:

headlight circuit needs to be complete to run the bike. being that you can play with the bars to make it work, im gonna point you to look on the right side, you'll see a little bracket that holds a handful of wires. undo it, and you'll likely find your problem. some can either be ran too tight, and get pulled apart over time, or pinched. or they can be pinched, which causes them to be too tight.

i had read about this causing many folks woes on all years of speed triples, so i pulled the shit apart the day i brought the bike home. i really felt like a smarty pants when one of my harnesses was pinched by the bracket, not allowing enough slack to turn the bar to lock without pulling on the wire. i simply freed it up and have been ok ever since.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
If you got your bike running but with out the lights on then its a wire issue and not a fuse issue. The easiest way to locate the problem is to chase the wires coming from the back of the lights all the way to the harness and if needed beyond.

You will likely see a split/damaged wire casing with damaged exposed wires (possibly shorting) or a wire loose or badly connected to either end of the wire loom.

Get yourself a PDF manual - its a pinch of %#$* to take the tank off etc. Just take your time and note how everything is connected (take pics before you dismantle each section).

· Registered
11 Posts
Mark Savage from the UK suggested changing the Power and Ground leads to Bigger Battery Terminals and Leadse as well the headlight bulbs to LED. What happens when the bike get hot it raises the resistance in the wiring and bigger leads decrease the Resistance. Thicker Wires but same Length.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts