Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys

Here in the UK there are plenty of retailers selling K&N but BMC are harder find and more expensive £59 for a BMC. £40 for the K&N

Any body know which is best.

Cheers

MH

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
hey MH, alot of guys have complained about the fit of the K&N, but seeing as how it's cheaper, I believe I'm gonna deal with it and go with a K&N myself. ;) ;D

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had to get a second K&N to get it to fit (still not 100% fit, but close enough for me.) It doesn't seat in the airbox nearly as well as the stocker. Can't speak of the BMC.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Performance is propably the same. BMC is reported to fit better out of the box. Poor fitting K&N can be fixed in one minute by heating the frame and straightening it.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
cheapbastard said:
hey MH, alot of guys have complained about the fit of the K&N, but seeing as how it's cheaper, I believe I'm gonna deal with it and go with a K&N myself. ;) ;D
Spoken like a true Cheap Bastard. :twofinger:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
cheapbastard said:
I'll probably go the same route, knowing it can be fixed with a little heat helps

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
If you can get a DNA filter go for that.Put one in mine and it fitted perfectly,can't remember the price though as i don't keep my receipts in a very tidy fashion. :eek:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
For a few $$$ more I'd go with the BMC or DNA. After all it's the last air filter you're gonna buy for the bike. Might as well get a quality one that fits with no problems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a BMC ages ago, and had no problems fitting it. As Avi8tor said, it will be the last one you buy, may as well pay the extra. I believe you get what you pay for. Why put cheap crap on your speedy? we all dump a lot of money into them, no point getting tight in the wallet now ;D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers everyone,
Tricks; I've dropped and email off to Pipercross for applications cost and delivery. If I get a good response I may just go that way.
Otherwise I'm still undecided on K&N or BMC. I have several K&N's infact I still have one from a 1980 XR250. BMC would be a new venture for me.
MH

Tricks said:
Go for the Pipercross MH, good quality and a good fit... Made in GB

·
Registered
218 Posts
I went with K&N. That was before I heard about all the troubles with them fitting. Fortunately, mine was fine and had no problems.

G

·
The Pipercross is a flat construction made of foam (reusable).
When I contacted the Manufacturer they were most helpful, I ordered direct.

Performance wise there was a noticable difference at the higher rev range, don't expect miracle results just by changing an air filter.(Any of them)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No probs I'm not expecting miracles either. My std filter is due for replacment so was looking at options. I got a quick reply from Pipercross this morning and at £41.33 seems like a good buy.
I've just never heard of Pipercross !!

Tricks said:
The Pipercross is a flat construction made of foam (reusable).
When I contacted the Manufacturer they were most helpful, I ordered direct.

Performance wise there was a noticable difference at the higher rev range, don't expect miracle results just by changing an air filter.(Any of them)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Pipercross has been around for a long time. They sell airfilters (foam type), cams, etc. I have used their stuff on one of my old Triumph TR-8's (CAR not bike).

Generally,expect the foam filters to flow and filter between the stock and aftermarket oiled gauze filters.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've gone and done it, ordered the Pipercross. I spoke to a guy in the technical section and was impressed by his pitch and as Tricks said they are British too. He's sent it next day delivery too. Cool. It will be fitted Friday evening in the Monkey Hanger Tuneboy Bar. All washed down with plenty of French Wheat beer. :beer:
MH

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Pipercross came today; less than 24 hours is not bad.
A perfect fit too.
Cant wait to take her out to see what she's like.
MH

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Looks great!

I have always been impressed in Pipercross quality. What did you pay for it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts