1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?id=265

Thoughts?

A Unique, Patented Design
Retracted Ground Electrodes: Brisk Premium Spark Plugs utilize a design where the ground electrode is retracted so the spark discharge occurs at the very tip of the spark plug. The ground electrode design of the traditional spark plug restricts the natural spherical expansion pattern of the flame front.

360 degree spark ignition: Brisk Premium Spark Plugs have a 360 degree spark perimeter, unlike conventional spark plugs that confine the spark to one restricted space. Since the fuel/air mixture around the spark plug is constantly changing, this results in a faster and better ignition. An added benefit is that there is no need to index the spark plug!
Hotter semi-surface spark discharges: It's easier for a spark to glide along the surface of the insulator than to break through the air gap. Brisk Premium Spark Plugs take advantage of this feature in its design. Almost 2/3 of the spark travel between the electrodes is along the surface of the insulator. The length of the spark discharge is maximized with only a slight increase in the required supplied ignition energy. The higher voltage buildup at the center electrode before the spark-over results in delivering more spark energy into the combustion chamber.

Spark Gap Deep in Combustion Chamber: Shifting the spark gap deeper inside the combustion chamber provides better access of the air/fuel mixture to the point of ignition. Since the flame front propagates evenly in all directions the best place for ignition is in the center of the combustion chamber. The compact design of the spark gap minimizes turbulence and therefore increases the volumetric flow.

Integrated Ground Electrode: The massive ground electrode is the integrated part of the spark plug shell which provides superior heat removal from the active part of the spark plug, improving the resistance to pre-ignition and electrode burn-off.

Still not convinced? Check out the Dynos!

Honda of Houston conducted a dyno run on a stock CBR600RR and it shows that Brisk Premium Spark Plugs added 1.5hp! A picture is worth a 1000 words!

G

·
I've used the Brisk plugs - two different types - but not in a bike.
At most I got a 1% increase. Compared to a Denso Iridium, there is a barely noticeable gain - in some conditions - and none in other conditions.

Bosch Racing makes a significantly better plug (the BPR that is ONLY available direct through the US Bosch distributor), but it is only available in 14mm not 10mm for bikes. And even when buying in lots of 100 pieces, it still costs $15 each.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Unless there is general widespread agreement that a part does indeed provide a gain, AND does NOT cost substantially more, then I would probably go with the flow.
There is too much snakeoil around, and all of it is slippery.

G

·
I have a Boost-a-Spark module that I am tempted to try on my bike. It is basically an amplifier for inductive ignition systems that amplifies the input voltage to the coils from 50-100% and is adjustable.

But I have yet to see any sign of ignition related issues on my bike. So I doubt it will help...much. This much spark voltage can be hard on plug tips, so I am not sure if it is worth the time to test. I have seen it work very well on other engines, including bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I figure the plugs with more prongs? or is it called conductors?
They have them with 2 ,3 or even 4 prongs would give the most power increase since they take up more room and boost compression a tiny bit.
The spark is bigger and that is it's purpose?
I used them on my old Gixxer1100 and remember them being fairly expensive compared to regular plugs.
Thoughts anyone?
Mikey

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The multi prong plugs are a gimmick. Unless you are racing for many laps, multiple prongs are not needed, even then, this is not the best design. Multiple prongs only help of you have an overly powerful spark that erodes the tips more than is needed.

The spark is only going to occur once with the stock inductive ignition. It is going to jump the gap at the point of least resistance. It is going to do this each time. So until the gap to this one electrode becomes widened by erosion to the point it is easier to jump to another electrode (through the carbon that has formed), the additional tips are along for the ride. 

The recommended stock Triumph plug is dual tip design by the way. There are several other plugs that use copper, platinum, or even gold or silver to carry the ignition energy to the plug tip. This only helps IF the ignition needs this energy to jump the gap.

Ignition 101:
[Don't read more unless you are really bored!]
The ECU sends voltage to the coil. The coil has two sets of windings. The difference in these windings steps up the output of the coil through a process called induction (do an internet search for more info). A magnet or electromagnet is used to induce the output through the coil. An igniter is like a switch used to send the voltage to the plug. The faster the igniter works, the more efficient the induction process. Sometimes the igniter is built into the coil, other designs used separate ignites.

For each engine and running condition, there is a given amount of energy that is needed to bridge the plug gap. Additional energy beyond this is wasted. It actually travels back and forth between the coil and the plug like a sound wave or spring.

Standard inductive ignitions use a single spark to jump the gap and start the combustion process. The spark tends to be of relatively long duration.

CDI or capacitive discharge ignitions use a spark that is higher in energy, but shorter in duration. They ramp up the output with a capacitor and only use the coil briefly. Due to the short spark duration, at lower rpm these systems use multiple sparks to start combustion. At higher rpm, there is less time to recharge the capacitor(s), so less (or only one) sparks are produced.

In the combustion chamber, the air and fuel are turbulent. As a result, layers of air and fuel are produced that are leaner and richer. A richer mixture is easier to ignite - to a point.

The spark jumps the plug gap and forms a kernel of flame. This flame front burns outward from the plug to the edges of the cylinder - even as the piston is dropping down the cylinder.

If the position of the spark is correct for the dynamics in the chamber, the spark kernel is produced. If the spark occurs in a leaner zone in the chamber, the kernel may take a bit to get started - or even fail to start combustion, resulting in a misfire.

Higher cylinder pressures require more spark energy to jump the plug gap. At higher rpm, there is less time to charger the coils (or capacitor in a CDI system), so less energy is available.

But missfires tend to happen at lower rpm due to less energy in the intake and chamber to homogenize the fuel and air mixture. This is why a good plug or multi-spark ignition seems to smooth out the idle and low rpm running of the engine.

A small tip on a spark plug tends to allow the spark to only occur in one area of the electrodes it also cleans carbon off each time a spark kernel it formed. But the spark erosion can eat the tips quickly. This is why some plug companies had added iridium tips to the plugs - to last longer.

The best spark plug design I have seen uses a plug with side gap electrodes - much like a focused surface gap plug. This keeps the kernel out of the highest velocities in the chamber, and allows for electrode erosion. But it requires a high output multi-spark CDI system to take advantage of its potential.

Some of this is overly simplified, but you should get the idea.

There is another type of ignition called magneto induction, but four-stroke bikes don't use this any more. And I am not going into AC and DC differences.

Another "book" of useless tech BS.  :violent1:
edited for spelling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts