Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the local H-D Mega-store today, to test ride a Buell.

What a POS!

Salesman took it outside, and while it was warming up, he tried to put a dealer plate on it. The thing shook so bad, he kept dropping the wing nuts. I shut it off so he could finish.

Salesman is gonna ride with me. He climbs on a chopper, loafers, slacks, black H-D short-sleeve shirt, sunglasses. I'm in a jacket, boots, gloves, kevlar jeans, and full-face. We go for about a three-mile ride through this corporate park area - it was enough.

Bike handles well, nice brakes, decent chassis, strong transmission with good shift action.

Engine vibrates like hell, torquey from 2000 rpm all the way up to redline - 6500 rpm. Relatively smooth in the 4000-4500 range - rough above and below. Power feels about half what Speedy is, and not nearly as useable.

About $13K out-the-door.

When the manager asked what I thought of the bike, I told him. He told me that Buell owners expect that level of vibration, and that it was inherent in V-twins. I told him I'd been on Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and a V-strom, and that level of vibration is not the norm for a v-twin. "Ducati Monster is a great bike" was his answer. I told him he should probably ride a Speed Triple if he wanted to see the competition. He said that maybe he would, someday.

Also, there's an ad out in magazines on Buell, 'Test ride a Buell - get a messenger bag'. Dealer claimed to have no knowledge of the promotion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Time and time again, Harley has been told, "use a different motor and you have ahit on your hands".

If they miss the current wave of Gen X and y riders, it's their own fault and they should be hung for it. How long have they owned Buell? 10 years? No excuse not to see the light of day and produce a better motor for Eric Buell's creations.

The future failure of the Harley brand can be directly arttributed to thier failure to do something better with the Buell.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The current management is not any brighter than the AMF crowd when it comes to the Buells.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Devious2xs said:
The current management is not any brighter than the AMF crowd when it comes to the Buells.
The current management is not any brighter than a hydrocephalic gibbon with a frontal lobotomy... or yeah. About as bright as the AMF crowd.

Side note: the H.O.G. type Harley owner rates right in there with the gibbons.

Two words: Assless Chaps.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
crashmasterd said:
Side note: the H.O.G. type Harley owner rates right in there with the gibbons.
Yep! Went on a ride today, 80% HD, could practically walk through the crowd and pick out the lawyer, banker, etc wearing their "Live to ride, Ride to live" gear. :violent1: Apparently most of them only live on the weekends.

Saw a new shirt. "Orange County Posers" "Gear for non-riders"

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Dfib said:
Saw a new shirt. "Orange County Posers" "Gear for non-riders"
Heh heh heh! I likey! I wouldn't wear such an atrocity, but I might give it to some special friend.

On another side note, I had to go shopping today. Sat on a Tiger, which felt oddly lighter than my speedy. Sat on a Guzzi which made me feel like I was getting caught in bed with the wrong woman. I like those Griso's (except for the ghey exhaust.)

On the way home I had to make a stop at a local mall. When walking through the food court I noticed two guys eating. One had on a Cortech adventure style jacket and the other a set of Oilskins. Both carried open face but otherwise real motorcycle helmets. As usual I was wearing my Triumph Westbourne jacket.

20 minutes later as I was going out they stopped me to ask if it was raining outside. "Sorry dudes, but it's a real toad strangler," I had to tell them. Didn't seem to phase them much. Just thanked me and headed out.

Don't know what they were riding, but I can guarantee it wasn't a Hardly.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Devious2xs said:
What is it about the Griso that makes it so sexy? I like it too.

High belt-line and that badass motor hanging out there for all the world to see. That's a good looking freaking motor. IMO, one of the best ALL TIME motorcycle motors aesthetically speaking.

Most of the muscle cars carry a high-belt line also. Kinda of a chopped and channeled look.

Best looking standard on the market IMO.

kjazz

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Devious2xs said:
I think it's because they look fast even when not moving.   The S3 looks like it would beat you up like George Forman used to be able to, but the Griso looks like it would run you down first like a cat.  Then play with you like a wounded mouse.  Then eat you.

I still want a Corsa.

G

·
crashmasterd said:
Devious2xs said:
but the Griso looks like it would run you down first like a cat. Then play with you like a wounded mouse. Then eat you.
only if you were on the above mentioned Buell

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I WISH it could.

If it handled better and performed a bit better...

But for a standard cruiser, it has the sweetest lines I have seen this side of a Vincent Black Shadow.
Now that is a beautiful engine. The details and castings are amazing.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Devious2xs said:
I WISH it could.

If it handled better and performed a bit better...

But for a standard cruiser, it has the sweetest lines I have seen this side of a Vincent Black Shadow.
Now that is a beautiful engine. The details and castings are amazing.
EEEWW!  Series A Plumbers Nightmare!

Here you go:

Just a series B Rapide. The Black Shadow had black engine cases, but was otherwise identical.

I was referring to looks, not ability on the Griso.

It does have a beautiful engine, and that weird pipe frame works somehow.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
You are right, the frame on the Griso enhances the lines.

You are correct about the black cases on the Vincent. They are cast iron, where the HRD is aluminum out of the same molds.

Edit - I couldn't find my photos of the Vincent at Barber quickly enough, so the early HRD was posted. And ya caught me.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I got to see that Rapide in person. The SOB owner wouldn't let me take it for a ride though. I even offered to let him ride Speedy, but no dice. And I don't let just anyone ride Speedy.

I guess I can understand his position. The thing was 100% except for a lousy Napoleon bar end mirror.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
It looks like the Rapide has the dual rear sprockets like the Vincent too.

Pull the wheel, flip it over, and instant sprocket change. very neat idea. ;D

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
The sprocket idea was theoretically for side car use. I've never seen a Vincent with a side car though.

The other cool thing about Vincents is the quick change rear wheel, and dual rear brakes. To change ratio you just knocked off a couple of big wing nut-like thingies and flipped the wheel around. With the integrated rear stand and the side stand you could actually get the whole bike off the ground!

Vincent HRD was so far ahead of their time. Look at all the innovations: Engine as a stressed member. Swingarm pivot as part of the engine casing. Oil in the frame (what there was of the frame!) Excellent girder front suspension, later replaced by the latest in girdraulics. A top notch V-twin engine that is still a great engine 60 years later. (You can still build a brand new Vincent 998cc V-twin engine from brand new parts because they are all still being made. The molds still exist.)

John Britten's V1000 is little more than an update of the Vincent Series B Rapide. It's fascinating when you think about it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Who owns the vincent/HRD castings now?

What about the beautiful small castings that were all over the bike and made by Amal?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I don't know. My information is second hand.

I had a wonderful magazine article that I lost a couple of years ago. Somebody in England was building complete reproduction Series B bikes because he had a set of molds. The article was actually about a head-to-head comparison test between the Vincent Reproduction and a Yamaha V-max. Oddly enough the Vincent handled better, and it's 1/4 mile times were pretty close. The V-max beat it in the top end though. The Vincent just wasn't good for much over 120 MPH, while the V-max would push 140 pretty hard. That is, if you had the balls to push it that far.

I also read an article about an Australian company that was building complete Vincent motors, but had made some slight changes to the engine. It had a better alternator, new transmission, and an electric starter, but otherwise was pretty much the same. I saw some engine and bike pictures and they looked great! But like Norton here in Portland I don't think they ever got to the production stage. I haven't been able to learn anything more about them on the web.

Pity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.