Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A co-worker is selling me a 2011 street triple for cheap. Thing is, it hasn't moved at all for the past two and a half years. It has been stored in the garage for that full duration though. I checked it out, exhaust is stolen but manifold's still there, gas tank is half full of two year old petrol, battery's dead, slight rust on back rotors, super thin brake pads, flat rear tire, clipped clutch/brake cable (probably from dudes trying to steal it), some pretty crunchy tubes and wires, and some griminess here and there. Co-worker's ex-boyfriend didn't seem too enthusiastic about regular maintenance, but looked like it was cleaned up a couple of times. Didn't seem as though there were any leaks or damage; floor under it was pristine. Everything else looks pretty decent, though I didn't start the engine 'cause of the fear of black tarry oil that might be inside. Question is, what needs to be done before I start the engine, as well as expecting to change/tweak/fix/clean so i can have this bike as my primary commuter?

I'll post pics of it later when I have available time.
Also if I'm posting in the wrong place, sorry 'bout that

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Obviously your fuel is toxic waste, so get rid of it. Replace with good fuel. The oil probably isn't any worse than when it was parked, but who knows how old the oil was when it was parked? I'd treat it like a new engine: drain the oil and fill it up with cheap non-synthetic and maybe ⅓ a bottle of SeaFoam. Put a new filter on it (Purolator Pure One - 14610/14612: +/- $4 at Wallmart) and run it hard for 100 miles or so before switching to a good 15-W50 synthetic and another new filter. (It doesn't need to be expensive motorcycle oil. I use Mobile 1 15-W50) Also, once you know it's running okay, put a little SeaFoam down the cylinders and manually crank it over with the plugs out to get it down around the rings. Then reassemble and start it up. It'll smoke like a demon when you start it and for a few miles. Don't panic. It's just burning out the carbon deposits.

Put a little SeaFoam in your first good tank of fuel too. It'll help clean out any varnish that may have formed in the injectors. There's instructions on the can.

You'll want new tires. Bridgestone T30s will work well.

There are lots of exhaust options, depending on what you want.

Cables and such you'll just have to source.

Pop the front sprocket cover off and check that the nut is tight. It's common for it to be loose. Same deal with the exhaust header bolts.

I can't think of much else. You might drain and flush the coolant system, just to be sure.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Oh, yeah. I forgot that.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Check all the wheel, suspension and brake mounting bolts for proper torque! Also check to see if the head bearings are still good. You don't need any of these things falling off or coming loose unless you are ready for a short but interesting ride.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What they said, most likely the fork oil has never been changed. It's due also, would be one of the last things on your list by that time you can consider upgrading the springs might have the seals done while there there.
An 8mm socket check all the engine covers along with the sump.
A good cleaning of the calipers while your doing the fluid would not hurt if he did not do much service. Also check your bobbins on the rotors should not be stuck.
You also have a good chance the clutch will be a bit sticky.
A mechanic I know pulls the tank, over fills the oil and wire tie's the clutch lever all the way back. If you oil is not to bad just add a little soak then change it.
Lays the bike on the clutch side for a day so ALL of the plates (top have been dry) get soaked. If you have clutch issues the only other thing to do is pull the plates and soak them in tub with oil.
When the one the side soak is done drain extra oil to top of dip stick.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
wait a minute, crash just gave oil related advice. must be a street triple brotherhood kinda thing...... :gayaway:

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Hey Anti?

:drink: :beer:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
:wave:

I still think yer dum fer usin car earl that prolly ain't JASO MA approved but whatevurr.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Yer can't argue with success.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Should keep you off the street's and out of trouble for a night or two.

OH, if you don't do this type of work a lot, take pictures before and during to help with putting it back together.
Either bag it and tag it or put the nut/bolt back in place just in case you don't get it done in a day. Sure makes putting things back together easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts