Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay not a guide maybe, but I want to share the experience so that others don't have to go through it blindly as I did. This was done on the exhaust on my 2008 S3

Good day to you.

There are many threads about the "pre-cat", and I thought I had one too, but after searching for hours for pictures and how-tos, I finally understood that late 2007 and onwards skip the pre-cat in the header and get a more real catalytic converter. It is located behind the heatshield by your feet.

I saw a thread where Power-Trip had tuned a bike where they had cut it out and everything was great. I wanted to do it too. So i took my exhaust off and took a look inside.
This is what i found.
Liquid Plumbing fixture Fluid Water Gas

It looks all schlurped. Is this why my S3 has trouble to reach 220KMH/137MPH? Everyone talks about how their bikes lift off i second gear (and maybe even third) while my bike lifts maybe 1 centimeter if I give sudden full throttle at 6500RPM (second gear) with my girlfriend behinde me on the seat.
This is about how it should look.
Audio equipment Circle Font Electronic instrument Mesh

So my warped CAT decided for me. To hell with it. Someone told me to hammer at it. "It will be out in 2 minutes". Hohohohoooo no.

This thing is superwelded to the inside of the exhaust, so I had to cut it open. With no pictures or guides to go by I started cutting.
After cutting the lenght of the weld I saw that I didn't have to go all the way, so I just cut the bulge across the middle. That wasn't enough though, as the cat-tube is welded to the inside just before the bulge gets bigger.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle fork

(I've paintet where the inside weld should be in red)

So I had to cut some more. I ended upp with four pieces. You can see where the cat-tube is welded to the inside of the exhaust in the lower piece to the left.
Gas Nickel Auto part Plumbing Pipe

And here is my nemesis.
Kitchen utensil Wood Hand tool Tableware Tool

Edit:
I had it welded! Hope it still fits.
Musical instrument Helmet Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

I would do this very differently if I knew what I know now. I would cut it all the way around just after where the cat-tube is welded to the inside, about where the bulge begins to get larger. Then I would secure the cat-tube in a vise, take a chisel/flat screwdriver and hammer away along the inside of the cat-tube (as i did to clean out all the catalyst-stuff where it was still stuck to the inside of the cat-tube.) Then weld it together again.
That should do it.

I had no guide or experience, but if there is someone out there who wants to get their catalytic converter out of a late 2007 or older S3, then I hope that this post can help you.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Nice write up. I hope Keoni can find it when he gets around to removing the pre-cat.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Paging Mike Loftin

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
There are many threads about the "pre-cat", and I thought I had one too, but after searching for hours for pictures and how-tos, I finally understood that late 2007 and onwards skip the pre-cat in the header and get a more real catalytic converter. It is located behind the heatshield by your feet.
That's just the pre-cat. You still need to remove the other two actual catalytic converters in the exhaust, keep going :eboy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's just the pre-cat. You still need to remove the other two actual catalytic converters in the exhaust, keep going :eboy:
Where are these two? I have TOR mufflers, so those I can see right through. I read in another thread that there was one in each original muffler. That was from the manual of a 2006 though.

Thank you

·
Registered
429 Posts
With the full Arrow Low 3-1 system on a 2006 do I have any of this in my system? I know there's nothing behind the O2 sensor or inside the exhaust can itself, and don't see any bulges like this in the headers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the full Arrow Low 3-1 system on a 2006 do I have any of this in my system? I know there's nothing behind the O2 sensor or inside the exhaust can itself, and don't see any bulges like this in the headers...
I would think that you're clean then. Stock header should have the sound baffle/pre-cat of the earlier models, but aftermarket systems seem to care only about the flow. I'm no expert though. If you want to be absolutely sure then disconnect the midpipe and look into the header. The early pre-cat/sound baffle looks something like this: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/shane_liberty/1220091506a.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay not a guide maybe, but I want to share the experience so that others don't have to go through it blindly as I did. This was done on the exhaust on my 2008 S3

Good day to you.

I saw a thread where Power-Trip had tuned a bike where they had cut it out and everything was great. I wanted to do it too. So i took my exhaust off and took a look inside.
This is what i found.
View attachment 18851
It looks all schlurped. Is this why my S3 has trouble to reach 220KMH/137MPH? Everyone talks about how their bikes lift off i second gear (and maybe even third) while my bike lifts maybe 1 centimeter if I give sudden full throttle at 6500RPM (second gear) with my girlfriend behinde me on the seat.
This is about how it should look.
View attachment 18855

So my warped CAT decided for me. To hell with it. Someone told me to hammer at it. "It will be out in 2 minutes". Hohohohoooo no.

This thing is superwelded to the inside of the exhaust, so I had to cut it open. With no pictures or guides to go by I started cutting.
After cutting the lenght of the weld I saw that I didn't have to go all the way, so I just cut the bulge across the middle. That wasn't enough though, as the cat-tube is welded to the inside just before the bulge gets bigger.
View attachment 18854
(I've paintet where the inside weld should be in red)

So I had to cut some more. I ended upp with four pieces. You can see where the cat-tube is welded to the inside of the exhaust in the lower piece to the left.
View attachment 18853

And here is my nemesis.
View attachment 18852

Edit:
I had it welded! Hope it still fits.
View attachment 18867

I would do this very differently if I knew what I know now. I would cut it all the way around just after where the cat-tube is welded to the inside, about where the bulge begins to get larger. Then I would secure the cat-tube in a vise, take a chisel/flat screwdriver and hammer away along the inside of the cat-tube (as i did to clean out all the catalyst-stuff where it was still stuck to the inside of the cat-tube.) Then weld it together again.
That should do it.

I had no guide or experience, but if there is someone out there who wants to get their catalytic converter out of a late 2007 or older S3, then I hope that this post can help you.
Great, detailed write up - thank you. Did it make much difference to the performance of your 1050? - as i intend to do the same modification to my late '07' bike too. Cheers.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
There will be little noticeable engine performance increases, and certainly none without the appropriate EFI map installed. If you really want a performance boost you should consider a replacement exhaust half-system such as Chain Reaction Moto. The weight loss will be the biggest performance boost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts