Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new lower, narrower bar, I have some slack in the clutch and throttle cables. After putting the new bar on, I noticed the clutch feels different. It engages fine and doesn't slip, but it engages at a different point than it did.
I have a buddy that adjusted his clutch on an R1 and the next day his clutch was toast. The dealer said he shouldn't adjust the clutch at all.
I've been on some short rides with it and havn't had a problem, but I've got a 3 day ride coming up and don't want any surprises. IF I readjust the clutch back to where it was, will I encounter any trouble? I looked at the manual and it states to adjust the adjuster nut (on the cable mounted on the clutch cover) in the middle of the threads and adjust the cable at the lever until there's 2-3 mm of play.
On my work bike I'm real anal about where the clutch engages because we use it so much for the slow stuff. I guess it's carried over to Speedy.
Has any one played with the clutch as to where it engages ( as in the clutch engages when the lever is just about fully released or just about completely pulled.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Feel free to adjust it. Anyone with a shred of mechanical sense can adjust a clutch cable. Just make sure there is a little free play remaining (the owners manual says 2-3 mm). If you don't leave some free play you are constantly putting some tension of the throw out mechanism and will wear it out prematurely. To burn up a clutch in one day your buddy must have adjusted his cable so tight the clutch was slipping under load.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
dr_gallup said:
Feel free to adjust it. Anyone with a shred of mechanical sense can adjust a clutch cable. Just make sure there is a little free play remaining (the owners manual says 2-3 mm). If you don't leave some free play you are constantly putting some tension of the throw out mechanism and will wear it out prematurely. To burn up a clutch in one day your buddy must have adjusted his cable so tight the clutch was slipping under load.
:sign5:

+1

AA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.