Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A couple questions to see if it's cool to just ride through it or if I need to address it. 2013 S3R picked up in May with 26 miles, now at 4200, ran hot all summer, only one christmas light event in traffic (pulled onto the shoulder for airflow).

Cooling question:
I figured 3 year old coolant needs to change. What I did (all water is distilled): drain, 50/50 vinegar/water, water, 50/50 vinegar/water, water, water, Zerex G-05 50/50 premix. I got the bike up to operating temp for each step. It keeps dumping what looks like copper sand. Is this normal? Video is results from the first water after first vinegar flush: https://youtu.be/ZI2wKMrbTn4

Brake question:
Front brakes give off harmonic buzz last 2-5 feet when rolling to a stop. Only started after mounting new tires and a track day, so I'm wondering if I just didn't bed the pads properly from the get go.

Thanks for your help!
K

· Registered
12,429 Posts
the sand is normal, rust as well from the sleeves. I do suggest dropping thecoolant ratio. No need for a 50/50 mix unless its going to be out in freezing conditions sitting. The more water, the better it cools. I suggest Justice Brothers Super Radiator Cooler with only 20% "coolant" for corrosion protection.
https://www.justicebrothers.com/products_carcare_radiator_additives.htm

The brakes will have a little chatter, but you can reduce this by ensuring the rotor buttons are squeaky clean, and use ceramic brake lubricant on the back of the brake pads etc.

Also with new brake pads, they need to be properly bedded in. It does make a huge difference.

a good indicator is to walk the bike slowly backwards, then snatch the front brakes. If you don't feel and hear a LOUD click as the rotors shift, the buttons need to be cleaned.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
My front pads have a buzzing sound as well when braking. They have since I replaced them. I've taken them out and inspected them and everything looked good. It still brakes well so I said fvck it. Mine make noise while braking at all speeds. Just more noticeable when slower because of less wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,429 Posts
there is an easy way to do it. get a nut and bolt the fits through the whole in the button. this allows you to rotate them with a wrench as you flush them with brake cleaner. Just search cleaning rotor buttons on YouTube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.