1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eh lads.
had my 15000 k service and the mechanic found that there had been
water sitting atop the plugs. this has left 2 of the plugs heavily corroded,
one of which cant be removed as it has fused itself stuck !!!!!
he replaced the other 2 fine and sprayed some wd-40 onto the third to try and loosen it.

i didnt have it serviced through a dealership as they are usually crap here in AUS and overcharge.

but you think i should take it back to the dealer to fix?
shes still under waranty i believe.

mongo ???

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Check the plugs more often.
Spray plugwells down with a corrosion fighting spray - not WD-40.

Rumor is that Triumph has a new coil boot coming out to end this issue, but I have not been able to confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Others have strongly endorsed http://corrosionxproducts.com/corrosionxpage.htm. I bought some & used it when I replaced my plugs @2700 miles. Can't say yet how well it works. My plugs were not corroded but the spark plug wells were. I hope Devi is right about the new boots but I bet we'll have to buy complete coil-on-plugs to get it. Current coils run $123 at BikeBandit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
considering i bought the bike a few weeks ago, i would have changed the plugs at an earlier stage, and hosed it down with wd-40 :jerkit:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hey Mongo, get them to fix it under waranty.
If it is so bad that they can't pull the plug get the Trumpy dealer to fix it.
I think they are better here in Oz than the US.

AA

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm going to change my plugs soon, and wonder what shape they're in. I read somewhere that you can put the red tubes from W/D 40 or other products to the side of the coil cap when replacing , to allow moisture a way out. I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I haven't had mine out yet (2200 miles) so can't comment directly but....couldn't you use a quality paint on the steel portion of the plugs, as long as you didn't get it onto the threads or tip? This would help stop the corrosion on the outside, use an anti-seize on the threads and you'd be OK I would think. (?)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I wouldn't do that Milq. The plugs need a good ground. This is one of the reasons the corrosion becomes so bad - electrolysis.

I have been using CorrosionX in the plug wells and silicone grease on the coil boots with good results. I have even been looking at molding a boot to fit over the coil boot to improve the seal.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
We use CorrosionX all the time at work. GREAT stuff. It has a MIL SPEC for a reason........ ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
APtech77 said:
We use CorrosionX all the time at work. GREAT stuff. It has a MIL SPEC for a reason........ ;)
Reviving this bitch! - Updates - how did your stuff work out? (20071114)

Oh, and on the milspec stuff, "Mil spec" really just means "shitty"

My "mil spec" M4 fires just as well as an AR15 variant, minus 3 round bursty
My "mil spec" DAGR is just a shitty garmin that's twice the size
My "mil spec" HMMWV weighs more than the civilian one, has half the power, and can't withstand a 9mm round.
My "mil spec" parachute reminds me of an umbrella and fucking hurts when I hit the ground...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I don't about about shitty, but depending on what your application is it can be high.
We build Mil Spec electrical components, but we build them to our Medical grade, which is the next -and highest - grade.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Kroil id a much better penetrant than WD-40.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
There is a new spark plug coil cap that fits above the coil & is supposed to improve the sealing. If nothing else it should displace most of the water so it doesn't puddle up there & soak in. P/N T1291511. I have not used them yet myself but several people on this forum have. Probably too new to know if it really does anything.

·
Premium Member
6,770 Posts
nothing....nothing beats CorrosionX..... that stuff is worth its weight in gold. I have been using it for over 16 years. I was first introduced to it in Alaska..the salt water environment is HELL on electrical components. CorrosionX will stop and reverse rust and corrosion. I have a gallon of the stuff in the garage. When you can dunk a electric motor in CorrosionX then submerse it in salt water and then remove and run it without blowing up or failure......I'm sold. it is even ok for a lot of electrical components. that stuff rocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another product that may work well is "Strike-Hold". Watched a demonstration where a guy sprayed down an electric drill, turned it on, and then with his bare hand submerged it underwater. Drill running up a storm and he was not getting shocked.

I had this same problem a couple of years ago and the dealer could not diagnose the problem. My bike had a low speed sputter that no one could diagnose. I finally changed the plugs and discovered the water and corrosion. Guess by what I am reading new coils will not solve the problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts