Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Ain't lane splitting grand. That commute would be unbearable if you couldn't lane split, athough it never ceases to amaze me how many cage drivers seem to be incapable of staying in the centre of their lane.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was hit on the 405 x Wilshire Saturday. Was just cruising in lane #4 and some schmuck clipped my back tire. I guess I should have been in the #1 lane, safer there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hard to see how dangerous it really is as you sped it up but passing in the right lanes when the traffic opens up is asking for trouble on a multi lane freeway like the 405 & the 5 you commute on. I too live in LA & commute on the 405 but luckily I work afternoons & only ride from Torrance to LAX & rarely have to split. I can't imagine the focus it must take to do that daily....hopefully your work doesn't wear you out because I know for me I need to be very alert to split for long distances like you do.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Holy shit! That is insane...Glad I live in the sticks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to be super defensive and pretend your invisible. Also helps to glance at people in their rear-view mirrors as you come up on them to see who's paying attention to the road and who's not. And when in doubt, just slow down.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
That is because you aren't supposed to do it in a dodge dart.

Splitting lanes is part of the deal out here. Just have to watch the kooks.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
That is because you aren't supposed to do it in a dodge dart.

Splitting lanes is part of the deal out here. Just have to watch the kooks.
I've been doing it for 40 years, although I don't have occasion to do it very often these days. But when you are doing it regularly you get a sense from the drivers body language when they are going to change lanes. If you don't do it at insane speeds, it is safe enough. Its the cars traveling towards you or at right angles to you that are most likely to kill you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow!! Thats some crazy traffic.. This is what traffic looks like in NZ. I up front of this group.

[video=youtube;MmXYJys_cH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MmXYJys_cH0[/video]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ah. A sensible people riding on the correct side of the road.
I wrote a car off riding north from Rotorua once. But that's becuase these lovely roads turn to dirt tracks at the drop of a hat*. As if the lazy bloody Kiwis though "Nah, **** it! Can't be arsed"

*And I was driving like a twat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.