Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
I just wanted to add one more thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. Before I added Devi/Avi8or's tune whenever I closed the throttle, it would be a nuts in the tank event. No longer!!! With the new tune, I can shut the throttle completely and reopen it and not upset the bike! That alone is worth getting a tuneboy for! :eboy:

· Registered
2,791 Posts
S.P.O.O.N.E.R. said:
kcjones said:
it would be a nuts in the tank event. No longer!!!
You lost me completely brutha...what the hell is a "nuts in the tank" event????
Sounds really scary though
Very rapid/violent deceleration caused by sudden and strong application of brakes (typical) or rapid closing of throttle (on engines with higher compression ratios (secondary cause), typical results include: swelling of testes, penis and overall groin area; may also include collision of cute passengers helmet with the operators' helmet (bad) and/or pressure of cute passengers breasts into operators back (good). AKA: I smashed my junk!

· Registered
234 Posts
milq said:
Very rapid/violent deceleration caused by sudden and strong application of brakes (typical) or rapid closing of throttle (on engines with higher compression ratios (secondary cause), typical results include: swelling of testes, penis and overall groin area; may also include collision of cute passengers helmet with the operators' helmet (bad) and/or pressure of cute passengers breasts into operators back (good). AKA: I smashed my junk!
Damn!

Note to self: Must load Devi's tune asap.

· Registered
410 Posts
Some one help me with my tunes! I have a tune loaded from Bob, for my Chain Reactions, dated March 2007. I works great but I'm getting to a point where it takes for ever to start. I have:
-stock 2006 S3
-stock air filter
-Chain Reaction half system
What tune should I be running? And I want it to start within 5 secs :popcorn:

· Registered
410 Posts
Cold.....sometimes warm. The battery is great or it would turn over so much.
It go like this:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, i give up after 10 secs thinking I'm hurting the starter :wtf:
then try again:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, after 10 secs i give up again :wtf:
then:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank (5 secs)- and then it barely fires and revs below 2k for a few secs.....then it comes to life. :wtf:

· Registered
2,791 Posts
jimmydean said:
Cold.....sometimes warm. The battery is great or it would turn over so much.
It go like this:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, i give up after 10 secs thinking I'm hurting the starter :wtf:
then try again:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, after 10 secs i give up again :wtf:
then:
crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank (5 secs)- and then it barely fires and revs below 2k for a few secs.....then it comes to life. :wtf:
This seems to be more and more common among speedy owners......mine had an episode like that (not quite as long crank times), lasted about a week while I was on a road trip. Plugs looked good, etc. It actually went away for a bit and now is progressively showing signs of doing it again. I can't figure out what the variable is though. I do notice that it seems worse on these days when it is 100 degree F on the ride home, then 70 degrees F the next morning when I get ready to leave. It's driving me mad(er?) trying to figure it out. I also notice that it smells a bit rich when it first fire up in the a.m.

The little trick of slightly cracking the throttle while cranking the first time, letting off the button and then pressing it again (closed throttle) works wonders. I really think it needs to be cleared out or something. It also seems to start better if I haven't ridden it for a couple of days, the worst troubles I have experienced have been after a day of riding (400 miles), then back up and cranking at 6a.m. but even if I commute daily it seems to exhibit this quirk.

dr_gallup: Could the injectors be bleeding a little raw fuel into the cylinders overnight?

I have been checking stuff every time I get a chance and can't find anything wrong. We've had discussions on prime pulse, etc and no one has really come up with anything to my knowledge. Aside from this issue it runs great.

I am using 20102TuneDynoModPP. Jardine slipons, no other engine mods at this time. Will be pulling precat soon, so issue may disappear after that is done and new tune loaded.

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Injector leakage is usually very low these days, not likely a common problem. The SAGEM injector leakage was extremely low, one of their best features. I don't have any data on the current Keihin injectors but our sales rate of older replacement Kehins is extremely low so they appear to be top notch. Current ones should be even better. It is interesting that you notice a correlation between the ambient temp at shut down versus restart. One thing that is different about the 07 ECU is the increased memory stores data from shutdown conditions which are used to help with the next restart. The 05 & 06 models do not have this feature. Evidently the idle speed control stepper motor just starts up where it left off the last time.

· Registered
729 Posts
On startup the idle stepper seems to adjust according to the temperature. Most I have seen is 1,5% throttle on cold engine. On warmer weather it has been 1,1% or 0,5% too. Finnish temperatures of course so no Arizona scorching.

· Registered
410 Posts
i doubt its the hoses cus I've had the bike for over a year now and this is a recent problem. I changed the tune to Wayne Macdonalds with the SAI and what a differenc in power!! But I went on a trip this weekend, North into Pa and it got worse. Usually after a long ride then resting for about 15 mins then I would be embarrassed trying to crank this thing over. It even got to a point where it sounded like some kind of metal whap! sound happend. I'm just glad I made it home and hope to take it to the dealer (warranty) soon. THIS IS GETTING OLD :poop:

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Just a few observations and updates on mine....I did a TB balance a couple of months back and checked my throttle pos. voltage, reset my idle stepper and loaded a new tune.

The tune I have been using is HarriS' 20133dynomod 2 (Arrow based but modded) and the bike has been starting beautifully both hot and cold. It absolutely SNARLS to life after a couple of revolutions with the button, sounds great and often heads turn when it fires up. I feel the tune isn't as strong in the mid range as I'd like though.

Monday of this week I loaded HarriS' 20102DynoMod6 tune and reset adaptions, etc. The bike is stronger now (easy second gear power wheelies with my fat ass on board) but starting takes longer, especially cold. Easily double the crank time, maybe triple. The 20088Base2_DVS_1050Precat_removed tune (which this tune copies parts of) also gives long crank times compared to the Arrow based tune above.

Can someone (with more tuning experience than I) take the best of both of these and make a tune? I love the startup of the first one and the midrange of the second. I can see obvious differences in the two at 0 - 4% TP and under 1000 RPM...is this where the money is at for starting?

I also know that prime pulse is much discussed and I have played with it in the past to little avail (on other tunes) but there is a pretty large difference in prime pulse between these two tunes as well.

Just fishing, I have no dyno and am somewhat at the mercy of those with more tuning experience.

Thanks for any info folks.

· Registered
410 Posts
i never updated my problem on this thread. It got worse and worse until it stopped starting. Turned out to be a starter and sprag issue for me. Triumph actually honored 2 months after my warranty expired cuz they did the work 9 months beforehand. Starts like a champ everytime now.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.