Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way to the dealers to have my brakes checked. There was some vibrations while braking hard and of course the lever could be pushed to the handle bar. Anyways when I stopped to the lights and down shifted from the second I the bike went to neutral. No biggie, happens often. But when the light turned green and I tried to shift to 1st gear I couldn't get the gear in. Well I thought no biggie, because let's face it, the gear box can be tricky, and shifted straight to the 2nd.

Then I accelerated to the highway and started to shift to the 3rd. Well, nothing happened. I tried again and still nothing. I tried 3rd and 4th time, but still it wouldn't shift. I tried the 1st gear again and noticed it still wouldn't shift.

So I was stuck on the 2nd gear and neutral. In other words, the GEAR BOX IS BUSTED!

I talked with the mechanics about 30mins how it started and they were lost. They said that they'll drain the oil today to see if there's chipped metal in it.

I asked how long it will take to get the bike back on the road and the mechanic said that "hopefully before the snow falls".

So I'm fucked. What the hell am I gonna do? I'm supposed to go on a safe riding course next week and 3 trackdays the weekend after that. All are paid in advance :violent1: :violent1: And I was planning a 2 week trip to Norway on July :violent1: :violent1: And there's many parts for the bike on order :violent1:

They can get the parts pretty fast, but they're very busy so they simply don't have time to work on my bike. Is it hard to replace the gear box by myself? I doubt they let me do it, but I could ask.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
:shocker: :wtf: say it ain't so premie! This is the 1st tranny I've heard of going out in the 1050's. :-\ Were you very rough with it? I'm just curious, cause I feel I'm rather rough with mine from time to time, but all seems well so far at 11500 miles. I've only torn the tranny out of one of my bikes and it was my 99 R1, 3rd gear was obliterated somewhere around 22k miles. :horse: ;D Anyways, I hope they git it fixed quickly! You just haven't had the best of luck lately. :horse:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
that really really blows!! at least it didn't happen in the middle of a twisty :mad:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there's other shops too. But don't I need to the dealer I bought the bike from for warranty repairs? Or at least I think I won't be very high up in their priorities, if I go to some other place.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
premier said:
I think there's other shops too. But don't I need to the dealer I bought the bike from for warranty repairs? Or at least I think I won't be very high up in their priorities, if I go to some other place.
you don't have to carry it there for warr work. And as for the priority list, doesn't sound like you are too high on yer dealer's priority list. :violent1: I would check with other dealers if they aren't too far.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Maate, that blows big time.

Questions: 1 What oil are you using and how old [how many miles on the oil]

2 Were you clutching you shifts at the track last week?

3 what tune are you running

4 Don't answer [or PM instead] if you think your dealer might look at these pages.

AA

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using Castrol GPS synthetic. Changed 2 weeks ago. No clutchless shifting - I'm too slow for it.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Damn that suck in a bad way. Feel free to punch Cheap if it'll make you feel better.

I'd be hesitant to pull the gearbox with lack of a decent garage to work in. Hopefully your dealer comes through for you. Might let them know there's over 700 people watching your progress on the internet. ;)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Good call Dfib.

Bad luck Premmie.
If you can't get it going by the time the snow comes come on down under and we'll find something for you to ride.

AA

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
AA said:
Maate, that blows big time.

Questions:

2 Were you clutching you shifts at the track last week?
sorry to hear...this happened to my buds bike and he power shifts through the gears during wheelie time...was wondering the same :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know.. One guy said it might not be the transmission itself but that thingie that does the actual shifting. Don't know the right term.

I mean is it even possible to get the transmission stuck so it still runs on one gear?

The mechanic said on the phone that he'll take the sump off on monday and see if he can see something wrong there. If that's all, he'll order the part, which will take appr. 2 weeks (knowing triumph). After that I'll have to wait for them to start working on the bike. I think that will be around 2 weeks or so. And if it happens so that they'll have to take the motor apart there's no saying how long it will take :(

I'll call through some shops tomorrow and ask how their schedule is. But the thing is that here there's a riding season and the shops are booked full during the season. Don't know why people can't have their bikes fixed during the off season!? :violent1:

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Dude that sucks!

It sounds to me like either a shift fork issue, or shift drum issue. On thinking about it I kind of susspect it's the shift drum that's come loose on one end or the other. This may or may not show bits in the pan, but hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the problem when the get the sump off. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything they can do to fix this without splitting the case.

Keep us informed and go get laid, because you deserve it!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the sympathies, guys :pow: :pow:

They drained the oil today and said there wasn't chipped metal there. Go figure?

And since I can't play around with the bike I'll have to go back to the same schedule I had before. Partying and chasing ass instead. It's fun too ;D ;D National holiday tomorrow so I'm going out just now to party and get drunk :drink:

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
That sucks ass big time,especially when you only have so many months you can ride over there.All the best. :violent1: :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
when you try to shift, does the shifter move like it would to go into gear, or do you have to fight the shifter? If the shifter feels like its catching, it could just be your shifter forks inside your tranny. I am guessing that the gears are probably okay, just that the forks that push the dogs around to engage/disengage the gears may be bent or broken. Especially if there were no shavings or flakes in the oil.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Premier,
Sorry to read about your problem. The comments about your dealer not caring about priority are true. My s3 broke down and died in Germany last summer; very embarassing on a Brit bike. Once it was back in the UK my dealer had it diagnosed and repaired in 4 days.
I'd suggest a call to the factory to politly ask what they can do to help the dealer to help you.
"Shy bairns get no sweets"
Good luck
MH

1 - 20 of 132 Posts