Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do hard parts start grinding before the tire runs out? I noticed there are almost no feelers on our pegs.

I have no chicken strips left or right and no scrape marks on the pegs. R6s, RC51s, GSXRs, etc. all have very long feelers on their pegs that slowly get ground down.

My belly pan has quite a few scrapes on it and I've read about others having the same problem, but... I was wondering... if I didn't have the belly pan there to help gauge the twisties the way I ride them...

Has anyone scraped their peg feelers BEFORE lowsiding or highsiding? I know some guys are running their bikes on the track and know how to hang off the bike...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't worry about dragging hard parts. The first time I put my knee down caught me by suprise. That was on a different bike though. Not to say this bike isn't capable but, you gotta be going pretty fast to get you knee down on any bike, let alone hard parts.
D

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
odium, I know a couple of guys that have scraped pegs. I remember Dobieman saying that he did when he went to the Gap last year. When Dirt met me there this year, he scraped his pegs, and said he was scraping them all day at the kart track he was riding on in FL. I believe even Limey has touched his peg down a time or two. :shocker: :wtf: ;D How ironic is it that all 3 fellers I mentioned that actually scraped some peg are all from Florida? :horse: I understand what yer saying about the bellypan. When I 1st realized I was drag'n it, I was gonna take it off. But I've decided to leave it on, and kinda like you, I use it as a guage, plus, it adds character. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got different pegs on now, they are a little shorter than stock with a tapered edge that gives about a 1/2 inch extra lean, so I tend to scrape my boots before anything else.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've got my boot to scrap, but no hard parts. I try to hand off the bike so that the bike can stay a little more upright (I learned this for the book Sport Riding Techniques). I don't try to get a knee down on the street, I figure with my skill level its not a good idea on the street. My one and only time on the dragon was on a 70' BSA thunderbolt that scraped everything. More power to those that are grindin'. :pow:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Like CB said I can get them draggin at the Gap but not here in the flats of Florida. Both pegs will grind and I have my shifter adjusted down low so it grinds and even the front edge of the kick stand will touch a little. Keep in mind I was 250 pound when these pics were taken at the gap and suspension was probably compressed quite a bit making it easier to drag stuff. Tires are worn completely to the edge.

:drink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Funny this topic should come up. I was at the track this weekend, on my Honda CBR, and started dragging pegs for the first time ever. It didn't spook me, just kinda thought, shit I must be a long way over. But then I got to thinking if I was to do that on speedy I would be fucked because they are Rizoma rear sets,and the pegs are solid, they don't hinge. So I may look into the hinged ones, because dragging knee on speedy is getting way too east now.
Never scraped the belly pan though. I did my aftermarket one, but I hit a bump hard, suspension bottomed out, and scraped my new paint on the underside.

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
I wanna go to that ^ road,only scraped me toes on speedy on the road,my knees on the track but haven't scraped the pegs. :popcorn:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guvna said:
I wouldn't worry about dragging hard parts. The first time I put my knee down caught me by suprise. That was on a different bike though. Not to say this bike isn't capable but, you gotta be going pretty fast to get you knee down on any bike, let alone hard parts.
D
I am already grinding hard parts... I am concerned about if I didn't have the belly pan.

If I had no belly pan, I would have to use my pegs as feeler gauges, but my tires (stock) are already used up with me grinding the belly pan. I thought the tire would run out of contact patch before the pegs set down, but apparently not!

Good responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts