Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time ever posting here and i am coming from a ducati 848 and cant chose if i should go with this a 2011 speed triple

2011 Triumph Speed Triple

or a 2013 triple with abs. I had a 2003 ducati monster 620 and i got very bored of it quickly and after going to the 848, its very fast but super uncomfortable, i am worried that i cant "down grade" in power or else i will get bored.
Please your thoughts on this.
Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like ABS. I have it on my FJR but not the S3. Also the R is sweet. Better suspension, cool wheels, I'd go for the 2013.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I went with the Street Triple for its superior handling. I also find it quite comfortable; more comfortable than my 1050 Speed Triple was. The 675 will kick a Duc 620's ass, and in all the reviews I've read actually kicks the Duc 848's butt too.

The 1050 Speed Triples are brutes and there isn't anything like them, but they are a lot heavier than the Street Triple and certainly don't handle as well. Terminal performance is about the same, but the 1050 has considerably more bottom end grunt which a lot of people around here like. The Speed Triple wheelies easily. The Street Triple is easy to wheelie.

It's all a matter of what you want to accomplish or what your priorities are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the reply. My main concern is i dont want to be bored and feel that iam killing the bike on the freeway. I enjoy riding around 100 mph with alot of room to gun it incase i need to get out of trouble. Most of my friends ride sports bikes and i felt my monster was not keeping up and now iam worried that the 848 to the 675 will feel alot slower.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Nope. The engine is in a different state of tune and has a different exhaust setup. The suspension is a little different too.

If you need to "get out of trouble" by getting on the throttle at 100mph, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, what i am trying to get at is if the bike is comfortable at high speeds and can keep up very nicely with any mid range sports bike. I hate the feeling of having to kill my bike to gain speed as i did with the monster. With the 848 it just wanted to go faster and knee drag but it was designed by a masochist in terms of comfort.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
You're on the wrong forum, son. Go back to the GSXR forum if you just want a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks guys for the reply. My main concern is i dont want to be bored and feel that iam killing the bike on the freeway. I enjoy riding around 100 mph with alot of room to gun it incase i need to get out of trouble. .
You mean trouble with the cops right?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Seriously though, the fun of an S3 is just the raw grunt on the bottom-end like folks have already said. Getting your ass kicked by the wind cruising at a 100+ on a naked bike isn't my idea of fun at all. I second Crash on the GSXR.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Nah, this kid just wants us to tell him that our bike will let him compete with his buddies on their kawahondayamasakis but still look cool and be "different."

And I do mean "kid." How much you want to bet he's about 23 and wears a wife beater and pants-too-big to ride?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wont argue with this whole "kid" topic. This is not why i am here. Infact i am 30 year old working as a geological engineer, no wife beater here. Sorry to disappoint mr grumpy. But thank you for your review. We are all motorcycle lovers here.
I was just wondering if the bike would feel like its killing it self to gain any normal speed as my ducati monster 620. I dont want to get bored with the 675 and regret not getting the speedy is all.
Thank you, ride safe gents.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Test ride 'em. Most Triumph dealers do it. Even for gynecologist engineers.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nah, this kid just wants us to tell him that our bike will let him compete with his buddies on their kawahondayamasakis but still look cool and be "different."

And I do mean "kid." How much you want to bet he's about 23 and wears a wife beater and pants-too-big to ride?
My thoughts exactly...

I doubt your just randomly riding around at 100 hanging out and have to "nail it to get out of trouble" but look at the speed triple or any naked bike...its naked and you sit up on it..

Sit on the tank of your 848, go 100 then nail it. Thats what a speed triple feels like at 100.

Like crash said you want a fast highway showoff bike against your friends sack up and go by a hayabusa. Id throw mine in 2nd at 100 and itd take off like a rocket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wont argue with this whole "kid" topic. This is not why i am here. Infact i am 30 year old working as a geological engineer, no wife beater here. Sorry to disappoint mr grumpy. But thank you for your review. We are all motorcycle lovers here.
I was just wondering if the bike would feel like its killing it self to gain any normal speed as my ducati monster 620. I dont want to get bored with the 675 and regret not getting the speedy is all.
Thank you, ride safe gents.
You learn real fast that a lot of these guys have triumph superiority complex. Maybe I'll get one too.

Get a gsxr-750. Seriously. It is probably the best combo of comfort/speed that you want. 600 are weak sauce compared to the 848, the daytona will hurt your back much like the 848, but Suzuki caters to guys who want to go fast but dont want to do it in the sport position. That being said, I will NEVER own a gsxr- because they are squid as ****.

It sounds like with your budget a z1000, or perhaps even the new 636 might in line? Also- for $300 you can get extra long SS brake lines and heli bars and turn any bike into a more comfortable ride.

Edit: I test rode a street triple R before getting my S3, and it was awful. I ride 07 zx6r on the track, and came from an Sv1000S/Z1000 (06) on the street and just couldnt deal with the lack of tq. I did however pop a wheelie on the 675 by accident. The S3's power is much more apparent and thus I was much more careful... and kept the wheel down.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only kind of comfort you're going to get on a naked bike cruising at 100mi/hr+ is getting off of one and onto another bike with fairings and a windscreen.

Try out a BMW 1000RR, ZX-14, or a 636. Hell, a Multistrada will run circles around anything on the road if you know what you're doing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts