Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a little persuading over the phone secured me a dyno run at the local HD shop. They were somewhat reluctant when I called, but all smiles when I showed up. The service manager knew who I was right when I walked in (only one with a helmet maybe?) and was fast and efficient. They were even nicer when they could pull me up in the computer and realized I owned an HD too. Both the service manager and dyno operator were impressed as hell with speedy and gave nothing but compliments.

The bad: Lax HD uses a superflow dyno, the clips for the coil wires is huge and they couldn't get a good tach reading so the dyno runs were without RPMs! :violent1: They know this is a problem, especially on sport bikes. They hope that superflow gets a smaller clip to them soon.

The Good: John the dyno operator was great! He asked plenty of questions, and even talked the service guys into giving me a little break on the price being we couldn't get the coil pick up to work. He knows his tuning stuff and we had a great BS session before during and after the pulls. He's in the process of turboing his sportster with a one off set up. NOS is in the works too. He asked about the tune boy and was interested enough he agreed to let me come back and have dyno tuning sessions once they have the small coil wire clip. :drink:

The numbers:

WhlPwrHp: 118.2
Dynojet corrected Hp: 122.6
A/F was 13.5 +/- .4 from off idle to 55mph (5k-ish) 12.7 +/- .2 57-87mph, then back up in the 13.3 range till red line.

I'll get the printouts scanned a little later...

The funny:
I went over the the parts desk to pay and they of course asked how the session went. I expressed a little disappointment over the 118hp, and their eyes bugged... They must not see many ponys there! :devil: The next question was "what the hell are you riding?" After answering them, and telling them it was out front, a herd started to gather. By the time I was geared up and ready to go at least 80% on the employees had been out ogling speedy! Lot of compliments on the Zard too! ;D ;D

Overall happy dang day, just wished I could have gotten RPM and torque to work... But the invitation to come back is huge! They wanted nothing to do with it the first time I talked to them on the phone!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Too bad about the lack of rpm (and torque). But you definitely have a Zard - look at the AFR. ;)

Good numbers that will only get better with tuning.

Isn't it funny how the HD shop guys first act, then change when they see the bike. :D

Sounds like a good day.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without having the exact RPM where I getting lean, is it going to be a problem adding a bit of fuel?

Any ideas on how much to start adding. Also she was rich at idle (14.5) or so, decrease the fuel there?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Dfib said:
Without having the exact RPM where I getting lean, is it going to be a problem adding a bit of fuel?

Any ideas on how much to start adding. Also she was rich at idle (14.5) or so, decrease the fuel there?

Thanks
Without rpm, you are shooting in the dark. It can be done, but it is considerably harder.
The oxygen sensor on the dyno will lag 500-1000 rpm behind the rpm curve. Sometimes even more.

Idle SHOULD be 14.5. it is closed loop at idle.
based on my experience with the 1050, you want to target ~12.8 for best power up through 8000rpm. Then you may want to try leaning it to 13.1 to 13.2 above 9000 rpm.

Even though 14.7:1 is stoichiometric, it is NOT the target ratio for best power. Each engine is a bit different, but 12.8 is a good target. And you may want to try a touch leaner on the top end - the 1050 sees to be a bit finicky above 9000, so you will need to test and tune to find what makes best power. The same goes for ignition advance (timing).

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMFG!! I was so ass backwards reading that!!! WTF! I definitely need beer to tune!

I was thinking the 14.5 was rich not lean! Doh :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

I think I found a place that is set up for sportbikes closer here, so I'm calling to make an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help, I feel like I'm in the home stretch now! :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Copied from the tuning 101 thread:

Air/Fuel mixture conversion chart (for gasoline)

FOR REFERENCE USE ONLY!!!

lambda ---------- Air/fuel ---------- %CO
0.80 - - - - - - - - 11.8 - - - - - - - - 8.00 (RICH)
0.81 - - - - - - - - 11.9 - - - - - - - - 7.30
0.82 - - - - - - - - 12.0 - - - - - - - - 6.50
0.83 - - - - - - - - 12.2 - - - - - - - - 5.90
0.84 - - - - - - - - 12.4 - - - - - - - - 5.40
0.85 - - - - - - - - 12.5 - - - - - - - - 5.00
0.86 - - - - - - - - 12.6 - - - - - - - - 4.85
0.87 - - - - - - - - 12.8 - - - - - - - - 4.35 Good target for power (naturally aspirated)
0.88 - - - - - - - - 13.0 - - - - - - - - 3.80
0.90 - - - - - - - - 13.2 - - - - - - - - 3.30
0.91 - - - - - - - - 13.4 - - - - - - - - 2.85
0.92 - - - - - - - - 13.5 - - - - - - - - 2.60
0.93 - - - - - - - - 13.7 - - - - - - - - 2.15
0.94 - - - - - - - - 13.8 - - - - - - - - 1.90
0.95 - - - - - - - - 14.0 - - - - - - - - 1.60
0.96 - - - - - - - - 14.1 - - - - - - - - 1.40
0.97 - - - - - - - - 14.3 - - - - - - - - 1.00
0.98 - - - - - - - - 14.4 - - - - - - - - 0.80 (2% rich mixture)
0.99 - - - - - - - - 14.6 - - - - - - - - 0.60
1.00____________ 14.7 ____________0.50 (Stoichiometric for fully vaporized and mixed Gasoline )
1.01 - - - - - - - - 14.8 - - - - - - - - 0.60
1.02 - - - - - - - - 15.0 - - - - - - - - 0.30 (2% lean mixture)
1.03 - - - - - - - - 15.1 - - - - - - - - 0.15
1.04 - - - - - - - - 15.2 - - - - - - - - 0.20
1.05 - - - - - - - - 15.4 - - - - - - - - 0.15 (LEAN)

Changes in fuel will change the relationship of the AFR and %CO to lambda!!!

lambda - Optimum number for best power does not change with a change in fuel. And optimum number for a racing engine is very close to that of a road going engine. This is the most accurate way to measure mixture. But it is very expensive because the manufacturers of these units must pay the lambda company to use the technology. THIS IS A % OF MIXTURES OF AIR TO ANY FUEL.

Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) - Optimum ratio for best performance changes with fuel used and in each engine based on efficiency of combustion. THIS IS A RATIO OF PARTS OF FUEL TO PARTS OF AIR (ie. 14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel).

%CO (Carbon Monoxide) - The scale does not cover the same range as the lambda and AFR scales so any comparison is not an exact science, but rather, a close approximation. THE EFFICIENCY OF THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER AND COMPRESSION WILL ALTER THESE NUMBERS but this is a fairly accurate chart for gasoline based fuels in most engines. With extremely lean conditions the % becomes erratic as combustion becomes erratic.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuck no, I had a son and became a pauper.

I did get another dyno run done and the A/F was dang near spot on, and we put Devious and Cheap (until he broke the dyno) in charge of some fine tuning. Since then I have a hard time justifying the cash output for a good dyno session. I may get there for my own enjoyment, but it has moved down the list a bit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dfib said:
Fuck no, I had a son and became a pauper.
Well thanks for this lesson. See what a healthy discussion can bring? And no mom jokes! I'm sure they'll come now... Very good reading and Devious sure is knowledgeable about all things motored in speedy. These current and past posts help me get my head around all this tuning and adjusting hubbabaloo that I don't understand.

Congrats on becoming a father, hope you enjoyed your day yesterday! Thanks again for all the info, looks like you helped a bunch here learn some stuff. Take care.

Rob

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jimmyheadgear said:
Congrats daddy Dfib!

Have him get a job working at a shop and you'll get free dyno runs.
:drink: F'ing brilliant! He already makes noises whenever he sees or hears motorcycles.

Anybody know a shop that will hire 11 month olds?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts