Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me figure out what is going on with my 2006 Triumph Speed Triple. A few weeks ago when I was riding it it was running very rough and didn't want to rev much past 4K RPM and had to give it much more gas than normal to keep it there. Was very sluggish and down on power. Also seemed louder than usual. It seemed as if something was stuck because it would run poorly then as all a sudden start revving higher with no new throttle input running more like normal. Then would go back to running like crap.

My original thought was that I had a bad reed valve letting too much air in so I replaced all 3 of them. Now, bike seems a little quieter but still running like crap and will eventually stall if I just let it run for over a minute. I've posted a video of what it sounds like when its running. If anyone has ideas on what to check/look for next I'm open to suggestions. My first thought is to look for a leak in the vacuum or look into the fuel pump.

Thanks.

[video]https://youtu.be/KRBuLrQmMmQ[/video]

·
Registered
12,396 Posts
time for a simple day or two of maintenance.

-check spark plug/coil base for moisture/corrosion, upgrade to the hotter plugs
-check electrical behind tumbler, and on the right side of the headstock under the clamp
-check/tighten battery connections
-check/balance throttle bodies
-do the half-can seafoam through the intake
-half-can seafoam through the fuel
-reset adaptives via the 12min tune
-DO NOT touch throttle during the 12min tune
-DO NOT touch throttle ever during starting
-clean/lube/adjust chain nice and loose
-wash and detail bike using S100 products
-ride to bike night and bask in the "sweet Buell" comments

the end

·
Registered
12,396 Posts
time for a simple day or two of maintenance.

-check spark plug/coil base for moisture/corrosion, upgrade to the hotter plugs
-check electrical behind tumbler, and on the right side of the headstock under the clamp
-check/tighten battery connections
-check/balance throttle bodies
-do the half-can seafoam through the intake
-half-can seafoam through the fuel
-reset adaptives via the 12min tune
-DO NOT touch throttle during the 12min tune
-DO NOT touch throttle ever during starting
-clean/lube/adjust chain nice and loose
-wash and detail bike using S100 products
-ride to bike night and bask in the "sweet Buell" comments

the end
those are what I would check first. Your year is know for corrosion on the plugs/coils because the plug well seals on the coils weren't worth a fuk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
This is kind of like my problem too. Changed the fuel filter, plugs, doused its innards with Power Tune. Hafta balance throttle bodies next but I fear it's a fvcking fuel pump issue. Have a 3 day mountain ride planned for next week. GRRRR

·
Registered
12,396 Posts
how do the bottom of the coils look???

also I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but always double check, then triple check that the airbox is FULLY SEATED on the throttlebodies..

·
Registered
23,331 Posts
If you have removed your airbox at any stage , check that you have reconnected all the vacuum lines.
You may have even knocked one off the throttle bodies.
When i had my 05 it was doing something similar , turned out to be one of the vacuum lines to the throttle bodies wasn't connected .
Put it back on and all was good .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well all the coils looked good no corrosion or rust, changed the spark plugs too hotter ones, made sure all vacuum lines were connected....and its still doing it. Its like the fuel is just being cutoff from the engine then kicks back on and then off. Also hear a weird knocking sound when rpm's drop. Bike only has a little over 7k miles on it. I had recently wrapped the headers back in December so going to check all the bolts holding that on to make sure they aren't loose, not sure if that could be causing this. I am almost to my wits end...might end up taking to a bike shop, much to my dismay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any solution to this? My 2006 S3 is doing the same thing. Bike sat for 2.5 years. Did complete fluid changes, brakes, gas, oil and coolant, before firing it up. In my case, I tried three different maps and the problem persist. Bike smells rich. I think it is loading up on fuel. I changed the plugs, gapped them correctly as well. problem persists. I will be taking out the air filter to see if that is the culprit. I doubt it as it's a K&N and I cleaned that as well during my service to get the bike back up and running. Sucks, I haven't ridden for three years due to a disability, and now my bike is refusing to run correctly. Don't have the money to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the throttle position sensor? I had some idle issues with my 06, had the TPS replaced and she runs like new now. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.