Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the big delay after finding out the 07 new exhaust has a catalyst put me in a pickle. I had pulled the header only to find I needed a half system that would take weeks longer... Now I have no bike to ride but all the parts to make it "work except a new header gasket.

Soo, I order a few sets of header gaskets and they just come in today.

I CAREFULLY mount everything back. Only to find that the exhaust is spitting out from between the header and engine... I let it cool, gentlly tightened a bit further (rinse and repeat... twice... to save some typing..) Now... I have gone as far as I am comfortable with on over tightening the bolts and still it spits a bit of exhaust out the front.

^%&^$#!!! Is it common to gunk up a simple job like mounting a header? I made sure the gaskets were well seated and slowly tighten the whole way around (evenly)

GRRRRR....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fuck it, I am going to walk over to the bar and have quite a few drinks. Saturday is another day... Maybe I'l just get medieval with some high temp gasket goo..

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Do you have the manual and follow the bolt torque sequence? I've printed it below just in case. It worked for me the only time I had to do it.

1. Fit new seals to the cylinder head.
Note:A smear of grease may be used to retain the seals in the cylinder head during assembly

2. Locate the down-pipe and align the flanges to the cylinder head.

3. Assemble the rear mounting point fixings but do not tighten at this stage.

4. Tighten the downpipe to cylinder head fixings in the following sequence:
a) Working from left to right, tighten the upper row of nuts to 19 Nm.
b) Working from left to right, tighten the lower row of nuts to 19 Nm.
c) Working from left to right, re-tighten the upper row of nuts to 19 Nm.

5. Tighten the rear mounting point fixing to 15 Nm

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Hmm. How can you tell it's leaking? Can you actually see the exhaust fumes?

I just put it in place and tightened it as much as I dared. Busted the oil cooler while at it but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks DR. I actually torqued them down much more evenly and slowly than the manual asks for. I wonder if that might be a problem (but I dont know why)

Hi premier, I could hear it and also feel it when I got off and put my hand around the area of the exhaustports.. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the stock (original) header going back on right?

The answer is YES [I feel your pain....] - I used to have this issue on my Blade stock system - the damned thing was a proper PITA to refit, used to drive me mental - I'd even get a mate to hold the headers and I'd slowly wiggle them/coax them into the right spot as I tightened them finger tight - so I could feel that they were 100% in the sweet spot before torqueing them down carefully - and whilst that generally worked better, it still generally took several attempts (but then again, I am a bit of a mechanical retard)

The only way really is to keep trying, trying trying trying etc - then leave the f***er alone ;D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it in first try second attempt. I left the same gaskets in and just put a small bead of h-temp rtv around each gasket(think fettecnin noodle size)

I think my last failure had a lot to do with not really trying to seat the header by flexing the pipe back and forth while hand tightening ALL the bolts last time. I went through four iterations of really wiggling the pipe while tightening each bolt to hand tight. I found a lot more play than I thought I would have even the third iteration :)

Bike's back on the road until the Wolf 1/2 system shows up. I took it out for 100 miles today (fm 455 is a pretty good road between us 75 and i35)

Funny thing happened on my ride. My oil filter developed a pin hole leak, thank god nothing more dramatic... (and a pretty nasty dimple as if it got whacked right on the bottom. I have to guess I did this during all the exhaust work but there isnt a drop of oil near where I park/worked on it.. ??

Anyway, I'm out of action for the rest of the day and have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow :) Wolf sayd he'll be shipping my 1/2 system pretty quick so I am rubbing my grubby little hands thinking abou that extra 10-15 horsepower :)

C-Dub

G

·
Dear God. I do believe some of you guy's have the worst luck. (snigger) :devil: :d: :eboy: :loser: :lh: :poop: :slap: :horse: :gtfo: :gayaway: :fingure: :drink: :jerkit: :sign5:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
limey said:
Dear God. I do believe some of you guy's have the worst luck. (snigger) :devil: :d: :eboy: :loser: :lh: :poop: :slap: :horse: :gtfo: :gayaway: :fingure: :drink: :jerkit: :sign5:
Agreed. You probably are going to hate me, but I replaced mine with the old used gaskets and a layer of high-temp RTV, and it has never leaked not even a little...just lucky, I guess.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine went staright back on too. My problem was the wire gasket that holds the Zard slip on fell apart as I put it on....
MH

[/quote]
Agreed. You probably are going to hate me, but I replaced mine with the old used gaskets and a layer of high-temp RTV, and it has never leaked not even a little...just lucky, I guess.
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as an update, my Trident cans came in but still waiting on the pipes from Peter. It ought to ship this week. I THINK by the end of next week I'll have a full system attached with closer to 130 HP than 110... :)

I have put an additional 150 miles on the bike and it runs great. I am looking closely at the suspension now. Seems the front end dives VERY fast. (or maybe its just my squid braking abilities..)

C-Dub

1 - 15 of 15 Posts