Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow triple folks. I bought a used 2000 speedy in May of 2014, and got cut off by a moron in LA traffic in June. She has been in storage ever since. Now it's finally time to get her up and running.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The accident was a low speed front end collision. I probably brought it down to about 10 MPH before impacting the car and simultaneously set her down on the left side at the same time as impact.
Obviously, the mud guard disintegrated, the mount for the instrument panel cracked in half as well as the instrument panel housing getting cracked. The handlebar bent, and the master cylinder bent and got scratched up. The shifter snapped, and there is random scuffing and scratches. The shop said that the suspension and the frame were still good and straight.

What i would like to do:
1- The suspension was already soft, so I would like redo both the front and rear suspension; maybe switch to a better spring in the fronts. Not sure what I can do to modify the rear. I'm 5' 11" and 230 lbs.
2- New handlebars; I'm trying to decide between something similar to stock, or something lower maybe clubman or clip ons.
2b- bar end mirrors, nice after market levers, nice matter cylinder (any recommendations on these would be greatly appreciated.)
3- rear break repair. It's super stiff right now. Either no brake or locked. I'll have to tear the cylinder apart.
4- new tires. I had Michelin pilot power 3 on my old Ducati monster. Liked the tire hated the bike. Q3 are nice, but wear out fast.
5- considering doing a digital gauge swap from an 2004 S3.
6- fender eliminator and nicer liking signals
7- repair plastic. I've got a couple of cracks to get filled in.
7b- I want to get a rear seat cowl
8- paint
9- sprocket & chain
10- tune up. Spark plugs, filters, oil, fuel injection system.
11- high exhaust
12- I already did an HID headlight conversion, but I don't love it. The light gets spread too much. I want to find an option that focuses the light better.

I'm certain this list will change and evolve as the project proceeds.

I would appreciate any and all help, advice, criticism, or general discussion that you can offer on this project.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

· Registered
193 Posts
chance to fit bug eyes

· Registered
193 Posts

· Registered
6,421 Posts
Hi. You've definitely got your work cut out for you... but it is fairly straightforward.

Regarding your to do list, some thoughts...

1 - Assuming that the forks weren't/aren't bent from the accident, springs/oil weight/oil height are all options. If the forks are bent, certain early model fireblades used the same forks which could be handy if you need replacing. If replacement were on the cards, I'd upgrade to a set of gsxr/hayabusa or TL1000 USD forks.
The rear shock is rebuildable, otherwise aftermarket alternatives are u available from Wilbers and Nitron.

2 - whatever floats your boat and takes your fancy. Plenty of options to choose from.

2b - bar end mirrors. My recommendation for quality is CRG. They are pricey and small compared to the Chinese knock offs on eBay. That said, I still have one non crash damaged CRG mirror in use after 9 years, obviously the anodizing fades in that time. I've also had about 4 pairs of Chinese CRG knock offs in that time for anywhere from a third to a quarter of the CRG price, however the cheaper items break easily, fall apart (mirror fall out) etc.

3 - looks like you know what you're doing.

4 - if you like Q3s, look for and try Dunlop RoadSmart. Similar feel to Q3, much longer lasting.

5 - The digital gauge swap from the 04, is hampered by the 04 getting it's speedo feed from the gearbox, where as yours is from the front wheel. Aftermarket dash with magnet included for your front wheel is an alternative - eg from ACEWELL.

6 - plenty to choose from.

7b - best keep scouring eBay quite regularly...

FYI ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252705976779

Good Luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi. You've definitely got your work cut out for you... but it is fairly straightforward.

Regarding your to do list, some thoughts...

1 - Assuming that the forks weren't/aren't bent from the accident, springs/oil weight/oil height are all options. If the forks are bent, certain early model fireblades used the same forks which could be handy if you need replacing. If replacement were on the cards, I'd upgrade to a set of gsxr/hayabusa or TL1000 USD forks.
The rear shock is rebuildable, otherwise aftermarket alternatives are u available from Wilbers and Nitron.

2 - whatever floats your boat and takes your fancy. Plenty of options to choose from.

2b - bar end mirrors. My recommendation for quality is CRG. They are pricey and small compared to the Chinese knock offs on eBay. That said, I still have one non crash damaged CRG mirror in use after 9 years, obviously the anodizing fades in that time. I've also had about 4 pairs of Chinese CRG knock offs in that time for anywhere from a third to a quarter of the CRG price, however the cheaper items break easily, fall apart (mirror fall out) etc.

3 - looks like you know what you're doing.

4 - if you like Q3s, look for and try Dunlop RoadSmart. Similar feel to Q3, much longer lasting.

5 - The digital gauge swap from the 04, is hampered by the 04 getting it's speedo feed from the gearbox, where as yours is from the front wheel. Aftermarket dash with magnet included for your front wheel is an alternative - eg from ACEWELL.

6 - plenty to choose from.

7b - best keep scouring eBay quite regularly...

FYI ...

TRIUMPH T595 T509 955I SPEED TRIPLE FRONT MUD GUARD | eBay

Good Luck.
Thank you for the ideas. I will probably go with CRG for the mirrors as well as their levers. Yes, they are a little more $$ but the quality is worth it IMO. Thank you so much for the heads up on the mudguard! I contacted the seller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.