Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jut an FYI to anyone else in Dallas/Plano area. If you try to tuck your license plate i like I did you will get stopped. FIRST day out with it a moto-c cop
Plano area) pulled me over specifically for that issue. He was cool and let it be a warning but was adamant there was no flexibility for that kind of modification

Photo attached for reference.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
happen to ask him where it has to go??? is it in reference to the tire???

huh...a motorcop stopped ya... :fingure:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DocPup said:
happen to ask him where it has to go??? is it in reference to the tire???

huh...a motorcop stopped ya... :fingure:
I asked him to look at the other mounting spots I had available to me and he agreed that the very last set of screws under the tailight would be fine and also agreed a SLIGHT amount of tilt to the plate was OK.

(NOT the sub frame bolts to the exhaust, which was my next option I showed him... he specifically said that was not far out enough)

Hmm, I wonder whether he thought I didnt have a plate or just decided my plate needed moved... If the former was the case then maybe he was just doing me a favor and preventing me from getting a ticket form someone who was in a bad mood later... Anyway, I thikn based on how fast I got zinged it's likely this set up wont last long before a ticket in Dallas...

(Oh, hey Limey, nice of you to stop by to my post. I smelled ya while I was typing my reply. Get a bath !!:p :) :) )

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
limey said:
Are you sure it wasn't for those butt ugly elephant ear rear foot pegs, I woulda :slap: ya
How much should we wager I get three different "8+" examples of North American Beaver on those pegs within a week? (I'll post photos if you want to wager something? We can let Devi be the judge of "8+" - he seems impartial...

·
Registered
584 Posts
cwb4tx said:
this is the thanks I get for single handedly improving the export fgures of a dead empire by a fraction of a percent. :devil:
:twofinger: :twofinger: :twofinger: :twofinger: :twofinger: :twofinger: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :fingure: :fingure: :fingure: :fingure: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I would think that having the plate behind the tire like that would get some attention. Probably just shitty luck luck that you got stopped so soon though. Cheaps is there too and I don't believe he was told anything when he got his speeding tickets.

I'm with Limey on those rear pegs.... unless you CAN prove their worth. :bs:

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
J-Pip said:
Cheaps is there too and I don't believe he was told anything when he got his speeding tickets.
that's true. I was wondering if I was gonna git it yesterday too. Had a VA highway patrol right behind me fer a couple of miles. I just knew he was gonna gimme shit(I have bad luck with them VA troopers :violent1:), but he turned on off and went his merry way. I agree with jpip, you just had shitty luck. Prolly jusy so happened to catch the wrong guy at the wrong time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
J-Pip said:
I'm with Limey on those rear pegs.... unless you CAN prove their worth. :bs:
You all DO know a set of trident cans are going to be mounted right where those pegs sit don't you? It's not like I am running a single low can... :finger:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Y'know, I just put together a new license mount for mine and wanted to avoid exactly the same situation.

Florida law says the plate has to be visible, and illuminated at night. I took the boat tail off, and mine's mounted using the three holes just forward from the tail light (two for bolts, one for the wires of the bolt lights). Angled at 45 degrees, it's about seven inches above the rear tire.

G

·
I was gettin gas in town and a local cop was right on my arse. I thought I was gonna get the plate is in the wrong location speech. I turned off but he didn't follow. I know sport bike guys that have them attached under their tail piece and you cant even read it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a plate holder that lets it stick out under the tail light. Nothing fancy, just legal enough. I got it at the triumph shop in Dallas. Nice guys. They don't charge much when I get new bits put on the bike. :blah:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
petdirt said:
I got a plate holder that lets it stick out under the tail light. Nothing fancy, just legal enough. I got it at the triumph shop in Dallas. Nice guys. They don't charge much when I get new bits put on the bike. :blah:
thats where I got my bike. (RPM Cycle, right?) Keith's a nice guy. I took the bike up to FM 455 Sunday. Is it just me, or are all those turns paved REALLY roughl just to scare away the guys like me that haven't been riding in a while? I mean, it was like night and day difference between how rought the turns where compared to the rest of the road...

Call me a sissy but it gives me the jeebie when my back tire is skipping sideways in a turn when I'm NOT tweaking the throttle...

·
Registered
33 Posts
No kidding, I was on that same road about two weeks ago, in between the rain showers. I thought I was a little girl compared to the other guys on here. I would not describe it "as smooth as a baby's butt". It did get me to learn about adjusting my front forks. I've got "mad maps" that had that ride. I'm going to get my gps out find some other twisties to play on during the weekend.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
petdirt said:
No kidding, I was on that same road about two weeks ago, in between the rain showers. I thought I was a little girl compared to the other guys on here. I would not describe it "as smooth as a baby's butt". It did get me to learn about adjusting my front forks. I've got "mad maps" that had that ride. I'm going to get my gps out find some other twisties to play on during the weekend.

Yeah, I still have to get my suspension adjusted. From what I hear on this forum factory preset = random setting..

dont be stingy with what you find in terms of good road near Dallas!!! :popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
Had a VA highway patrol right behind me fer a couple of miles. I just knew he was gonna gimme shit(I have bad luck with them VA troopers :violent1:), but he turned on off and went his merry way.
[/quote]

Where at in VA were you?

My plate is mounted using the hugger bolt holes and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
767 Posts
cwb4tx said:
petdirt said:
I took the bike up to FM 455 Sunday. Is it just me, or are all those turns paved REALLY roughl just to scare away the guys like me that haven't been riding in a while? I mean, it was like night and day difference between how rought the turns where compared to the rest of the road...
Hey guys, I live about 5 minutes down the road from 455 and used to hit it all the time, until they re-paved it with that shitty asphalt, or whatever the hell they used. I think they did that on purpose to keep a lot of the bikes from racing out there. That road used to be nice and smoothe and you could go balls out. Now I don't like hitting it because like you guys said, it's really sketchy and uneven. If I do hit it, I take it easy and slow. ;D

We all need to definitely hook up and do some riding. I found some other pretty good roads out my way that are fun to hit. Hey Pet, I was telling CWB that I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but when I get back we should all hook up for a ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.