Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday was the first decent day to ride this year. Living in new England SuX. It's my opinion and it is not open for negotiation, my family moved from Mass to GA in 1754 and I have a damned good idea why.

Now that I have that out of the way. Yesterday ir was pushing 70 so I bagged work, put on my new napolean mirrors and my new Sargent seat :jerkoff: and I got speedy out to go for a ride and meet some friends for a cigar. Hit the starter and it made that aweful rumph, ruuuumph sound of a dead battery. Fark it, jumped it from my truck and headed out, about an hour ride figured it would charge some and start later. Well, it may have if I hadn't turned the key too far and left the lights on for 2 hours :wtf:

Called AAA, found my membership lapsed, renewed it, then found they will not come for a bike :finger: What the hell did I renew for? Called to a guy in work boots, shureenough he had cables, jumped it and headed home.

About 4:30 on I95 headed out of Boston on a Friday, traffic is heavy. We are going from fast (80+) to slow, to fast to slow, fast to OMFG they stopped! I grab a hand full of brakes, look in my brandy new Napoleans and there is a guy weaving back and forth looking for room. I figure I may want to avoid becoming the meat in the sandwich so I slide up by the car in front to stop.....but I didn't grab the clutch quick enough DOH! :tongue2:

Remember the part in the paragraph above about the dead battery....yep. I'm stranded, on the inside (fast lane). Push the bike over to the line, put it on the stand (the bars are now 1/4 inch from the guard rail) Hop the guardrail and sit for a minute and try to figure WTF to do. A couple of people slowed and asked if I was OK, Thanks. Pulled out the cell and called 911.

In the mean time I pull out a cigar, light up, and get comfortable and wait. I noticed a couple of drivers looking at me funny, one guy waiving his hands like he thought I had lost my mind to stop on the freeway, in the fast lane to have a smoke. I laughed. :wave:

Wrecker shows and says he has to tow the bike, I say WTF, just jump it. Short conversation, in the end he agrees, uses the wrecker to shield me while I push the bike across 4 lanes of rush hour traffic and jumps me off on the shoulder. - In the mean time a MASS highway patrol shows. - "So, how much to I owe you....." Let me call it in........

... $50 "

Hey I figure not bad, he had to come out and get me. Look in my pocket, I got $21 in cash..."Do you take American Express?"

(You don't think this is over yet do you?)

"NO, we take no credit cards." Um, ok, WTF do we do now?

Here we go, The Mass Highway patrol, me and the wrecker go to the next rest area to get cash from the ATM and pay up.... Leave the speedy running (bad battery and all) run inside to get cash.

The ATM card reader is not working! :wtf:

Walk back out, explain it, tell the guy to just give me a bill and I'll send them a check. He askes for my license, AND KEEPS IT. "Follow me, we are going to another ATM" At this point this company (Mal's) is annoying me but what the hell, the weather is nice. Follow the guy to another exit, to a shipping center with an ATM. Get his $$ and ride home.

Know what, it was still a good day, and the new battery is on the charger now.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
What's the old saying?

A bad day riding is better than a great day at work.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Damn XTR, that sounds like a shitty first day of riding to me. Oh well, it can only get better from here on your next day out riding, right? ;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts