Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting that. Sounds very positive.
Yes I agree...for the first time in years I am actually considering trading my 2008 for this one.
Looks like a proper improvement over the 1050 block...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I don't like that they say it's not as flickable due to longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry. Probably necessary given the increased power but I mostly ride really tight mountain roads, 2nd-3rd gear stuff and I won't be testing the top end. Actually been considering the 890 KTM but it's just SO UGLY.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Good review... dont like the harsh on the road bit...hopefully its sprung perfect for my weight :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Good review... dont like the harsh on the road bit...hopefully its sprung perfect for my weight :)
This is the most balanced review so far. Others come across as being overexcited. My main thought / comment is that they these testers talk of it being too sticky sprung, hence being more suited to the track. Surely that’s dependingon the size of the rider size? Plus you can re-spring your own bike to suit yourself?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
This is the most balanced review so far. Others come across as being overexcited. My main thought / comment is that they these testers talk of it being too sticky sprung, hence being more suited to the track. Surely that’s dependingon the size of the rider size? Plus you can re-spring your own bike to suit yourself?
Suspension stiffness is a function of rider weight so if you are packing some extra stones it might be good for you. Changing springs is relatively easy and not terribly expensive. I also think that in a year or two there will be a non-RS version that will cost less and have a lower spec and possibly softer suspension. It's interesting that Triumph has come out of the gate with only the RS spec. Usually it's something a factory brings out after a couple of years selling a base model.

·
Registered
2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS
13 Posts
Maybe the stiff RS is the new base model, and then next year adds a Speed Triple RS Factory with semi-active electronic suspension. 🤪

·
Registered
1 Posts
how long till dealerships get them in. I have a pre order in Canada. The dealer says late may but I'm hoping someone in the USA has already start receiving bikes yet

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
how long till dealerships get them in. I have a pre order in Canada. The dealer says late may but I'm hoping someone in the USA has already start receiving bikes yet
Don’t get your hopes up. Nothing is delivered on time in this day and age. Especially Canada since they have such strict lockdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I just testrode one....and ordered one that will be delevered in 1 or 2 weeks
So you’ve been told. Post pics in two weeks and I’ll believe you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice! Was wondering if you got it. Thoughts on it?
My reference is a 2008 speed triple 1050.
This 1200 RS is a different bike altogether in many aspects:
-from analoge to digital: clocks, rider modes, quick shifter up and down, led lights, ride by wire throttle cruise control, auto blinker off etc.
-weight is down probably 20+kg vs my 2008, less top heavy
-engine much lighter internals, quick revving, power really down low is a bit more on off i guess due to lighter internals as well. Just from feel its comparable power upto say 6000 rpm, above that the 1200 is really building a lot more power....from 8000rpm the 1200 is really in a different league...with higher rev limit and ‘an engine more willing to rev high’.
The power felt almost intimidating to me...
-the ride is more compact, closer to street triple, flickable, brakes are awesome, suspension great, seat sits better than my 2008.

All in all a completely different animal but still with gentleman’s behaviour, predictable power build up and delivery, good looks if you ask me...

When I got back on the 1050 after testriding the 1200 the 1050 felt like a ‘plush comfy and heavy tourbike‘ to me...

Now I need to get trough the slow first 800km’s with low revs first 😬

1 - 20 of 30 Posts