Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
My reference is a 2008 speed triple 1050.
This 1200 RS is a different bike altogether in many aspects:
-from analoge to digital: clocks, rider modes, quick shifter up and down, led lights, ride by wire throttle cruise control, auto blinker off etc.
-weight is down probably 20+kg vs my 2008, less top heavy
-engine much lighter internals, quick revving, power really down low is a bit more on off i guess due to lighter internals as well. Just from feel its comparable power upto say 6000 rpm, above that the 1200 is really building a lot more power....from 8000rpm the 1200 is really in a different league...with higher rev limit and ‘an engine more willing to rev high’.
The power felt almost intimidating to me...
-the ride is more compact, closer to street triple, flickable, brakes are awesome, suspension great, seat sits better than my 2008.

All in all a completely different animal but still with gentleman’s behaviour, predictable power build up and delivery, good looks if you ask me...

When I got back on the 1050 after testriding the 1200 the 1050 felt like a ‘plush comfy and heavy tourbike‘ to me...

Now I need to get trough the slow first 800km’s with low revs first
“The power almost felt intimidating to me”

Good, honest review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Just from feel its comparable power upto say 6000 rpm, above that the 1200 is really building a lot more power....from 8000rpm the 1200 is really in a different league...with higher rev limit and ‘an engine more willing to rev high’.
The power felt almost intimidating to me...

Now I need to get trough the slow first 800km’s with low revs first 😬
Anybody else notice a contradiction?

·
Registered
2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS
15 Posts
Anybody else notice a contradiction?
Not what you're referring to, but we got some people saying it's more roomy than the Street Triple, and others saying it's more compact like the Street Triple. Side by side the Street seat looks flatter and longer to me, but the bars are closer.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not what you're referring to, but we got some people saying it's more roomy than the Street Triple, and others saying it's more compact like the Street Triple. Side by side the Street seat looks flatter and longer to me, but the bars are closer.

View attachment 44235
The riding position on the 1200 is definitely more ‘upright’ than a 2008 speed triple. The bars of the 1200 are wider and a tad closer to the seat.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The first 1000km on the new bike is done. Just had the first service so running with ‘normal oil’ now.
Got to know the bike a bit better, got used to the quickshifter, keyless operation, played with rider modes, all menus, tried ABS etc. got through the first (and last) patience testing low rpm km’s. I tried to follow OEM guidelines plus say 1k rpm.

I got both front and rear tire replaced under warranty as they were unround or had flatspots from being strapped down in the crate…this was resulting in a whobbly ride especially at lower speeds
Some more personal findings:
I find the electronics quite intrusive…i guess i just come from an analogue 2008 bike where all control was in your own hands and i have to get used to the rider ‘helps’
There is no underseat space to store a disklock, small can of chain oil or something…

My bike stand does not seem to fit anymore, seems like safety pins in the way to fit shaft in hollow axle. Anyone a clue how to lift the 1200?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I bought another adaptor for my bike stand. The Ducati 1098 adaptor works…

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
2000 km on the new bike now.

Still intimidated with the power.
I was on a 3 day bike trip to the eiffel in germany 2 weeks ago with 3 friends on different bikes, a street triple, a vfr1200 and a tracer 9gt. We have been riding fast and swapped bikes a lot.

One major difference between the 1050 and the 1200 is the % of time you can use full throttle on winding roads… let alone full power (full throttle at 9+k rpm)
You are riding much more on ‘throttle feel’ (with a big smile) at least in the faster rider modes.
It always has ‘extra power‘ when required (assuming higher up in rev range)
More than ever you need some straights to wring her out.

I have created my own rider mode with TC switched of so I can lift the front without intrusion… the other settings at the most sporty modes…
I tend to use normal sport mode when i start riding (can be autoselected when starting) when I really want to blast i switch to my ’rider mode’ (always a manual action after starting to switch mode into rider)

To moderators: Does the 1200 gets its own subsection next to the 900/955/1050 etc?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Only Ducati-sized on the left side, the right side is unique to Triumph.
What do you mean? you can fit the duc adapter to both left and right side paddock stands.
I used my own old stand that i had for my 1050 and put a ducati adapter on it…now it works for the 1200

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you mean? you can fit the duc adapter to both left and right side paddock stands.
That's what Pit-bull indicated. I am still waiting for my stand + pins more than 2 two weeks later. They said the left side is Ducati sized, but the right side is different, that's all I know.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's what Pit-bull indicated. I am still waiting for my stand + pins more than 2 two weeks later. They said the left side is Ducati sized, but the right side is different, that's all I know.
I have a ‘single sided‘ stand, I guess you are talking about a ‘2 sided stand’ right?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a ‘single sided‘ stand, I guess you are talking about a ‘2 sided stand’ right?!
No, I can flip the Pit-bull stand around, change to the other pin (which arrived), and lift it from the right side instead. Two pins, but only one is used at a time, depending on which side I want to lift from.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts