Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to dial in my suspension and realized that I get a different measurement when lifting the front end by hand versus hoisting the front so the wheel is in the air. I've googled, watched countless videos on Youtube, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I'm getting about ~10-11 mm difference in measurement between the two measurements, so not sure where to go form here. Just wondering if anyone else has figured this out or has any info or insight. I've got my static and rider sag numbers and they're reasonably consistent, it's the unweighted "free sag" that I'm trying to nail down. Wheel in the air or just unloading the suspension?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
the chicken sandwich is your problem, should have finished it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You're supposed to stuff the other half up your tailpipe. That's the obvious solution.

I don't have any actual information to help you, I'm just here for the :beer:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm riding a 2007 Speed Triple. Swapped the front springs for beefier and changed the fork oil in the process a year or two ago. I weigh about 220 lbs because I love poutine and all foods that make one get fat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lol. I can relate to the food thing. I saw you said that you were going to add preload to the rear. I don't know how extensive your knowledge is about suspension, but you realize that will raise the rear ride height and not necessarily make it ride better. It could actually make it ride more harsh. Good luck with your set up. It can be a pain but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Attach a piece of coat hanger to the lower shock mount bolt and position along the shock spring. Put a mark at the top mount bolt with no weight on the rear tire. Sit on the bike and put a mark at the top bolt with you on it. This is the initial sack of the rear spring. Do the same at the front using a long rod or dowel rod. Rear sack or sag should be about 25mm. On my 2013 Speed Triple R I dropped from a 100 nm spring to an 85 nm on the Ohlins shock. The new spring was shorter so I had room for adjustment. The stock spring was backed off all the way at the factory so I could not soften up the rear spring action at all. I now can get great rear travel and use the Ohlin shock assembly to its fullest. I weigh about 180# plus riding gear. I am going to install a Scorpion Serket Taper low exhaust that will be lighter so I will readjust everything when I do. Next step will be dropping the spring rate on the fork springs. No sense having great suspension if it spends most of its time topped out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts