Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front break squeeks when pressure is applied. Especially at low speed. I bought some brake cleaner with "anti-squeal" stuff in it, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone here experienced this?
Thanks,
dg

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Mine do a little right when I 'm about stopped form a hard stop.  My pads are real low and being replaced soon though. 

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My brakes squeal too....especially when two up. What's normal pad life like? Funny thing is, by brakes make more noise when clean then dirty......go figure? :wtf:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I'm at 15K on the stock pads... NOt 100% sure. I'll ask the guy I bought it from if he ever had them replaced.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to repost but I need help, this is driving me crazy:

Got my bike back from my 6K service. One of the things I asked them to check out was the front brake squeak and when they gave her back they said it was dirt. So I thought that meant they cleaned it but SHE STILL SQUEAKS.

Can someone PLEASE post steps on how to remove a brake pad correctly and apply some copper grease to the back of the pads?

Thanks. Much Appreciated

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
hey Karma,

if you can wait until tomorrow (here in OZ) I will take a couple of photos and post a "how too" for you. It is not difficult.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
KarmaPunk said:
Can someone PLEASE post steps on how to remove a brake pad correctly and apply some copper grease to the back of the pads?
You have the right idea. A LITTLE BIT (you don't want any of the stuff dripping on the pads or discs) of copper paste on the back of the pads should do the trick. Removing pads is pretty straightforward once you have the caliper in your hand and you should be able to figure things out just by looking at the grippers.

Just don't undo the main bolts that are holding the caliper halves together and you should be able to learn as you go - do one first and you will still have the other one as reference as to how things should go back. Also do not go squeezing the brake lever when there is nothing between the caliper pistons/pads. It will be a bitch to separate them if you close the pads together. Even more messy if you pop out the pistons while there are no pads in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Legman, if you could post that step by step, that would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Alrighty now.....step by step procees to stop pad squeal (on the right side)

Step 1 remove the little "R" pin at the back of the caliper

Step 2 Using multigrip pliers with a bit of duct tape on the jaws to protect the finish on the calipers, I squeeze the pads back a little away from the disk so that they slide out easily. You dont need to move them far (less than a poofteenth of an inch will be fine)

Step 3 Unscrew the central recessed allen bolt. Note that the grey bracket (Anti rattle spring) covering the pads is slightly spring loaded and exerts a little pressure on the bolt that you are removing. If you push inwards toward the pads at the centre of the grey bracket the bolt will be a little easier to remove

Step 4 Lift out the grey bracket

Step 5 Slide out the pads. I like to remember which side came out where so that I can put them back as they were. This is where squeezing the pads back pays off....sometimes they can be a little difficult to remove and even more so to put back if you dont give them a little room. Important tip - while the pads are out do not touch the brake lever. Don't ask me why or how I know......

Step 6 Clean the back of the pads. You can see where the pistons make contact the back of the pads. This is where you smear the tiny amount of high melting point copper grease. The tiniest amount is enough.....just enough to make the surface a little greasy. Don't get the grease on any other parts....very important.

Step 6 Reverse the process. Slip the pads back in.....you may need to jiggle them around a little to get them to slide in. Forcing them will not be necessary and is not a good idea.

Once they are in and roughly aligned, place the grey bracket back in place. If you forget how somthing goes in you can always look at the left side caliper....thats one reason why its good to do one side at a time.

Insert the central bolt and wriggle it through its path through the pads and over they grey bracket, pushing a little on the grey bracket in the centre to help the bolt slide through.

Tighten the bolt to 19Nm

refit the little "R" pin.

VERY IMPORTANT NEXT STEP......DO NOT forget to do this before you ride the bike......PUMP THE BRAKE LEVER SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL THE LEVER IS HARD. This will push the pads back close to the disk.

Job Done.....now go over to the left side and repeat process. It took me about 10 minutes to do the right side, taking photos as I went.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Could somebody in Oz buy this guy a beer for me? :drink:

Thanks John!

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
You're welcome Karma......hope it works out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts