Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used in their speedy to help with rough idling or just to clean the FI?
Is it safe? How so cause I added some to the tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good I'm glad to here it is safe. I wonder if that will help my stalling issue. And the rough idling.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
tripleniple said:
Good I'm glad to here it is safe. I wonder if that will help my stalling issue. And the rough idling.
I would still bet that is is the idle air solenoid on the throttle body. Not hard to remove and clean with a can of carburetor cleaner and a toothbrush.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Is'nt it already in the gas.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Injector manufactures DO NOT test the safety and compatibility of the myriad of cleaners and chemicals on the market. Hopefully the makers of the miracles in a bottle test them but I have seen enough of the aftermarket to know that most of the companies spend a lot more on designing their labels than testing their products. There are a few exceptions. We test injectors with heptane, gasoline, gasohol, E85, indolene (EPA emissions calibration fuel) etc. If it doesn't come out of a pump we don't test it. Pump gasoline does have sufficient detergents to keep your injectors clean if they aren't leaking. If they have valve seat leakage then certain types will varnish up but the cleaners won't help that anyway. A lot of the carbon deposits you see on valve stems and spark plugs actually are caused by the detergents in pump gas. They keep the injectors clean but make deposits elsewhere. Fuel injector plugging basically went away in the late 80's but "Quicky Lube" etc. have been bilking customers ever since. They will tell you that your manufacture recommends having your injectors cleaned and they can do it for just $75. BS!!!!! Not a single car or motorcycle manufacture has injector cleaning as part of the scheduled maintenance. Read your manual. Actually, 90+% of replaced injectors have absolutely nothing wrong with them. Just don't tell anybody cuz it's keeping me employed selling all those replacement injectors.
:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Doc,
I have been using Gummout Regain since my 2005 S3 was new, in order to keep carbon deposits under control.

When I sent my 1050 injectors to Kinsler in January, they looked, patterned, and flowed just fine. ;D

I have also used in in other vehicles that I have later had injectors flowed and checked - never an issue.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Gotta question Doc:

Assuming you know what you're talking about, how would most modern factory fuel injectors hold up to 100% ethenol on a regular basis? I've got some buddies that drag race on straight alcohol, but they're all using Hilborn systems. I know next to nothing about them.

Just for information sake you understand. Not that I'm thinking anything. ;)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Doc knows more about injectors than many of us ever want to think about.

But I have used several Bosch injectors on methanol without issues - if the fuel pump and lines are able to handle alcohols; many are not.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Devious2xs said:
Doc knows more about injectors than many of us ever want to think about.
Yeah, I was just pokin' fun at him while I was picking his brain.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
crashmasterd said:
Gotta question Doc:

Assuming you know what you're talking about, how would most modern factory fuel injectors hold up to 100% ethenol on a regular basis? I've got some buddies that drag race on straight alcohol, but they're all using Hilborn systems. I know next to nothing about them.

Just for information sake you understand. Not that I'm thinking anything. ;)
All current injectors are designed & tested with low ethanol concentrations (10-15%). MOST of them are fine with E85 (not necessarily the rest of the fue system). 100% ethanol is impossible, it is hygroscopic and will immediately start sucking water out of the air, 98% is the best you can do. The lower concentrations are actually more corrosive than the pure stuff. Methanol is much more corrosive and since nobody is considering it as a pump fuel anymore no one is designing in compatibility. You are on your own with methanol.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I think we came across this before but, what about the cleaner/lubes such as Lucas Fuel Cleaner?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
That's kind of what I remembered but I wanted it straight from the horses mouth.

I just have thoughts. Usually not good thoughts. Unfortunately I sometimes share them. :horse:

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.