Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'd almost talked myself out of trading speedy, It's really a tough decision.  I called the dealer to schedule some maintenance and sort an issue i may be having (might just be that i'm out of paxil)
  My dealer doesn't currently have a Triumph Mechanic, it'll be " about 2 weeks" just like all thier parts.  I can't stand the service at this shop.  Everyone i've talked to that had a or has a Triumph feels the same.  A guy that has a Brutale had to leave it there for a month while getting service done.  The day I called and found this out, I'd of sold speedy to the first offer.
  Next, I've been looking at GSXR's, found some nice 750's and 600's, I ve got a bit of a hook up on a 1000, but I'm not sold on it.  I found that insurance for a 750 would be half of what I pay for speedy!  It's just a "ball park" figure, but come on, ins costs were helping to lead me away from a full on race replica. 

Tell me that bike don't look good....  I know I know, there's too much plastic, oh well.  I know I won't find too many fans and may be getting flamed, but I got my bike to ride it.  I've put 2000+ miles on it since aug.  two weeks to replace some fork seals come on!  My dealer sucks, I think this would affect a lot of people, my nearest options are vegas or boise.  I've got 5 suzuki dealers within 20 miles of me.  I know my bikes issues aren't serious, nothing a good mechanic can't clear up, But I'm gonna be out about a month or so till then.  there will be future service needs and problems (fork seals are gonna be a bitch, I alwas drop my wheelies too hard)  and everytime i'll have to put up with this lame ass dealer.  Am I being a whinny bastard over this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I actually like the new gsxr's more than most other racer, I think because of the "lack" of plastic. I like the large gaps in the front fairing.

But god damn, I have some wierd thing about hating suzukis. I don't know why, i've never owned one, but I think it stems from the reliability rating i've hear.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy with the 1000 has had about vevery bike there is, had two S3's a 1050 and a 955, sold em' due to the dealer..... The only bike he keeps is the Suzuki's. I've never heard anything bad about their relilability, if you've got a bookmark or somehting, I'd love to read it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Gixxers are sweetest crotch rockets there is. They look just awesome! If I was getting a track bike it would be a tough competition between GSXR and Daytona 675.

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
I ride locally with a few girls who have gsxr's its a nice looking bike, esp when I ride behind them :) but it is a race replica and allot of folks point out the usability factor, meaning I get to use all of my speed most of the time.. they dont really get into the power band until high in the revs.. just a guess all in what you look for in a bike. I would def do a 750 track bike..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey, if you're really agonizing over this I'd say go for it. I'd definitely lean towards the 750 though, those are supposed to be awesome bikes. You live in Utah, so there must be a bit of open space to play around in, and being an LEO you probably have a better idea than most of where to play without getting *ahem* unwanted supervision *ahem* ;) . Also, if you decide you don't like it you don't have to keep it, buy a used one and you won't take such a hit on the depreciation if you do sell it. I've bought a new bike each year for three years running now. I'm having fun even though it's getting harder to explain each one to friends and family. ;D

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
yep jpip, cata makes a good point about good ol' streetable power. I had 2 older generation R1's which were considered monsters on the bottom end, and yet they were still not as much of a torque monster as speedy is. ;D The new liter sportbikes are even less streetable, they make their power even higher in the rev range. If you decide to make the switch, do yerself a favor, and don't buy a jap 600 sportbike. You will think it has absolutely no guts compared to speedy. Their powerband doesn't even kick in until after speedy hits the rev limiter! :violent1: ;D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Would hate to lose ya on the forums here. Have you ridden the Gixxer yet? There's an adolescent part o' me that wants one, and if I had the money, I'd have one (along with about 20 other bikes). But before you pull the trigger, consider these three things:

1. It's a pure sports bike. Yes, it will go very fast and handle very well and blow your mind at a 9/10 and above pace. So ask yourself how often you plan to ride it at that pace, and whether the rest of the time you mind being leaned forward, legs folded, butt in the air. If you want to do a lot of track riding, it makes a lot of sense. If you want to be a :squid: on the weekends, it makes sense.

2. This year's Chuck Norris is next year's Barney Fife. The "sportbike culture" is kinda fickle. There's a lot of "my dick is bigger than yours" kinda stuff goin' on (this is how they keep selling bikes - convince people they have to have the latest and greatest track weapon, one which will enhance the size of your Member). What happens next year or two years from now, when, say, Kawasaki comes out with a completely redone ZX10 that slays the GSXR? Do you want to keep getting new bikes every year or two? Maybe you do.

3. EVERYBODY has one. I was in Squid Hell last night (will have to explain that one elsewhere). The most common bike was a GSXR, then came the R Yamahas and 6-whatever Ninjas, with CBRs a large minority. I'd say there were probably 2 gixxers for every one of the other makes' representatives. Maybe they really are that damn good. Or maybe they really are that damn trendy. I mean, if I was 20 years old and could talk daddy into buyin' me a bike, I'm pretty sure I'd want a gixxer or a Ninja. But I'm older than most rocks and most definitely not trendy. The more I see of bike culture lately, the more sense "Go your own way" makes.

But then again, if you really wanna get out and drag a knee, you couldn't do much better.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
EVERYBODY has one. I was in Squid Hell last night (will have to explain that one elsewhere). The most common bike was a GSXR, then came the R Yamahas and 6-whatever Ninjas, with CBRs a large minority. I'd say there were probably 2 gixxers for every one of the other makes' representatives. Maybe they really are that damn good. Or maybe they really are that damn trendy. I mean, if I was 20 years old and could talk daddy into buyin' me a bike, I'm pretty sure I'd want a gixxer or a Ninja. But I'm older than most rocks and most definitely not trendy. The more I see of bike culture lately, the more sense "Go your own way" makes.

But then again, if you really wanna get out and drag a knee, you couldn't do much better.
[/quote]

Great Point Don't do it :shocker: keep it, all of my friends have jap bikes they all what to ride mine fast fun looks great !!! I think a second bike would be a good Idea but that takes more money!!! I can also understand how service would be a problem, it would make me sell! :shocker:

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
As for the bike - the bike doesn't make the squid. The squid makes the squid. I like the gixxer but I would never be able to use it on the streets. Maybe a track bike... In any event, it is impressive in the right hands and if it does what you want I say go for it. Like R100 it is a better board with your contris, though...

The mechanic thing is a bummer, however. Is your old mechanic at another shop or independent? That'd be the way to go. I found my old mechanic - he's indy now. This is after the new guy at the shop told me he a) doesn't ride and b) would rather be pursuing his ebay biz than working on bikes. After they messed with my braked no less.

The parts issue is something we all face and it sucks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I stopped a squid on a GSXR 1000 last night. I was sitting on the sidewalk at an intersection on a busy road at around 1:00am when I see two bikes roll up to the red light. One was a metric cruiser and the GSXR. I'm sittin there watching them and hear the GSXR reving his engine. Sure enough the front end comes up and he rides a wheelie through the intersection right past me for maybe 100-150 feet. I can't believe he didn't see me, I mean come on I wasn't hiding just sitting there. Anyway of course I go have a chat with him, no I didn't give him a ticket. I'm pretty easy on fellow motorcyclists + traffic was light. I did however advise him that further acting like a :squid: would get him a ticket on the next go around. I also advised him that his baseball cap on backwards doesn't do much for protecting his melon. :squid:

·
Registered
130 Posts
No question that the gsx 750 might be the best sports bike out there. But as was said earlier, how much can you actually use it. I used to own a gsx 750 and loved it except for having to ride around in the alter boy position all the time. On that bike you would be sitting up riding with one hand and look down to realize, holy shit, I am doing 120. :squid: The power of the triple suits me much better.

I don't understand why you are paying twice as much for the triple then a sports bike. At progressive I am paying under $400 full coverage for the year.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Talk to Limey and get him to write up a cash-out refi on your house with a neg-am loan, then buy the GSXR 750 and track it out. Wire, plastic, tires, etc. It's got to be the definitive track bike, even above the 675 IMHO.

kjazz

ps I'm kidding about the neg-am loan, those things will screw you up royally. Sell some shit instead.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whatever I do, I'll be looking into another insurance agency. I was really leaning against the 1000 till I rode it today. It is low on torque right out the gate, but I had no problems rolling at 45 in 4th and having instant pwer at the twist of a wrist. Not the same power as Speedy but it was there. It took a bit to get used to the position, but after I did and got on Speedy, I felt like I was on a Harley.
I'll be happy on anything with two wheels, even a harley. I like Speedy, but the dealer here's an ass, I've looked into Indy mechs, but not had too much luck. The best guy lives 400 miles from me and comes up every now and then. The Ducati guy is the god of mechs around here and wont get into the engine, but will do everything else.
I didn't want the 1000 cuz I thought it wouldn't be too streetable, it is, it's fairly easy to ride on the street actually. Not like Speedy, but it's ok.
Now, I plan to do a lot of track riding this year, my only concern with the 1000 now is that it'll make me a lazy rider, I may not worry about being fast in teh turns if I have plenty of power to make up for it on the straights. The 750 will probably be a good compromise between two up rideability and track use.
I didn't worry about a decision this bad even when I got married.
Cheap, I hope you'll approve if I get the 1000 it'll be yeller!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Don't be this guy.....[video=youtube;jod5DZ8tOQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jod5DZ8tOQE[/video]

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm testing the waters, it's not an official decision yet but Speedy's on the market. ksl.com is a great site here, 6 hours and I've had 76 page views. Not too shabby. Now I'll sit back and see if anybody bites :popcorn:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts