Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my 2006 S3 began to show small bubbles/knots in the tank itself, under the paint - the plastic is starting to warp. When I remove it it's a bit of trouble to get it back on (not as easy as it once was). I called Triumph USA and they were no help and acted as if no one in the history of motorcycles has had this problem. When I referenced research that I had done, i made the layman's sin of saying the word "internet" which the rep jumped all over and told me that "bigfoot is seen and talked about on the internet too." I almost rode across town and whipped his a$$ (I live about 20 minutes city-riding from Triumph USA). Completely unhelpful and downright insulting, to be honest.

I did some searching and found a little information but wanted to start a(nother) thread about this issue to see if anyone has any information on the problem:

Has anyone experienced it?
Is it repairable? What causes it?
Should I replace my plastic tank with a metal one?

Tanks are cheap enough (150-250 on the bay) so I'm not too bummed out I just wanted to see if we could start a proper resource on the problem (and vent about Triumph USA a little).

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Mine has two, almost imperceptible outward dimples about the size of my nipple on my '06 tank.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Don't feel bad, I'm still waiting for them to call me back about the free clutch replacement. It been three weeks. :finger:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 9, 1/8" to dime-sized knots in mine and they are gradually getting bigger and increasing in number.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Mine seems to be fine. I know that why they went to metal tanks. I guess you can find one on eBay or a salvage yard.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My 06 has a "nipple" appearing halfway between the filler and the the headstock. Acerbis made all the plastic tanks. They make all kinds of plastic shit that stands up to 10 to 15 percent ethacrap, but I'm not so sure about these. I have seen modern gas with ethanol eat through vintage fiberglass tanks. Maybe the paint process is suspect, and weakened the surface? Solvents in the primer wrong? I know I fucked up a helmet once using auto primer... Some do it, most don't, I am not holding my breath for a replacement being this far out...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trying to make a decent picture - phone camera sucks. This, combined with a glossy paint job makes it difficult to get a clear picture. I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Billy the Squid said:
My 06 has a "nipple" appearing halfway between the filler and the the headstock. Acerbis made all the plastic tanks. They make all kinds of plastic shit that stands up to 10 to 15 percent ethacrap, but I'm not so sure about these. I have seen modern gas with ethanol eat through vintage fiberglass tanks. Maybe the paint process is suspect, and weakened the surface? Solvents in the primer wrong? I know I fucked up a helmet once using auto primer... Some do it, most don't, I am not holding my breath for a replacement being this far out...
Me neither. I have heard all kinds of theories - ethanol, the water it draws, etc. Since it's hit or miss, I'm thinking it could be a simple as a bad batch of plastic. I'm going to source one from the bay. I wanted to paint my bike anyway - a second tank will cut out the down-time, right? Silver lining? ???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I always wanted the plastics to be matte black, but wasn't offered in late 05/06. Almost traded mine in when matte black was available. Now if I ever paint it I will leave all the stickers off...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Just eBay a metal tank and be done with it. It has the not-so-pretty rolled seam, but at least it will be immune to ethanol.

I see no point in buying a 2nd version of the same turd, or repainting an already bubbling tank without coating/upgrading the inside.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've read ONE report of a fella adding StarTron ethanol treatment to a tank that had developed a pimple or small bulge. He reported that the pimple disappeared. I'll be dipped in sh*t if I can remember where I read it though. Might have been the Aprilia or MV Agusta or KTM SuperDuke or Bimota site

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
startron may or may not help mitigate fueling issues with these crap petrol blends, but that sounds like the equivalent of changing your oil and having a damaged bearing surface heal itself. I would be very interested to see the entire story on that "fix".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Gas tank Bubbling and warping NOW WITH PICS!!!

Kind of tough to document. But I'll try again in varied lighting.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
now that you post up pics of what your talkin about, my 07 had one dead center about half way from the filler to the head set as well. was there pretty much whole time i owned the bike i guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
APtech77 said:
Take pics without the flash.
Yeah. No joy. My iPhone 4s is a better camera than my digi point and shoot ... it's mostly the lack of resolution we can upload. I'm going to try and get a photog pal of mine to snap one then next time i catch him with his rig. Y'all get the idea, though. I'm starting not to give a shit and when/if it gets rough I'll just bite the bullet and get a steel one. At least then i can use a magnetic tank bag, right?

:jerkit:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sure as shit I have the same problem. I thought it was my imagination at first but now, at the right angle, I can clearly mini bubbles and a little warping in the paint/tank. What a pisser...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts